Revision Rhinoplasty - Fleming Island, FL

August of 2012 I had a rhinoplasty that looked...

August of 2012 I had a rhinoplasty that looked awesome at first, but then slowly over the year of healing transformed itself into a very weird looking messed up nose. I now am seeking a revision with someone much more qualified to fix it. Currently I'm consulting with a couple surgeons and I will hopefully be planning a revision for the end of 2013. I have limited availability because I'm a college student. I am very excited to have this nose corrected and I hope to only do this ONCE more to get it right. Lol. I'm trying to be as careful as possible bout who I pick, because I finally want to be happy with my nose. I am also having not so perfect breathing so I will be getting a deviated septum fixed as well (which was not corrected the first time for some reason).

By the way, would you be able to describe a bit more how your nose developed to it's current state? Is it primarily a deviated septum causing your issue, or are there other things you are getting fixed? Thanks :)
The deviated septum isn't really causing the issue, it's more of misshapen cartilage. The first surgeon just sort of did not have a good technique and my tip cartilage is knuckling together causing a really asymmetrical bumpy tip (I can feel cartilage bumps in there!). Also my tip is very over projected and upward turned looking because the cartilage basically is shifting around. I could not see these mistakes at first because swelling was hiding them. I'll post pictures one month after primary rhino and 1 year after so you can see how my nose has completely changed over time. Also my bridge is a little over reduced in the supratip area. no problem :)
Good luck to you! It is a tough road but you sound like you are maintaining the right attitude. How exciting that you are getting it fixed before the year is over! Not too much of it left :D

Pictures

I put up pictures of 1 month post op and then 1 year post op with a simulation picture. You can see the difference in my nose shape as time went on.

I love the simulation and I can't wait to get rid of this awkward nose.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Thank you for the photos! I can't believe the change. My nose is doing some really weird stuff as well. I love the simulation! I am sure you are armed with better information this time a round and will be making a much informed choice. Has the surgeon explained the plan to you? Will he be doing any grafting? Best of luck, you are a very pretty girl!
Thank you! Yes, its definitely a strange feeling when your nose starts warping on you. The surgeon has explained the general plan so far but I'm hoping to have another meeting with him to discuss further before I book a surgery. I'm also going to consult with someone else just to cover my bases. I'm probably not going to do any grafting, I got lucky in that respect. Thank you & good luck with your nose as well!:)

Wow, really interesting that your nose changed in that way. Thank you so much for sharing your photos. I hope you're able to get really close to the simulation this next time around.

Here's what some doctors say about choosing a revision rhinoplasty surgeon.

Please keep us updated!

Front view

Your nose seems to be more bulbous after surgery. I have the same problem. Did you have grafts put in your primary rhinoplasty? I like the simulation, it looks much thinner and less bulbous in the tip, will you be having you nose broken to thin it out?
No grafts the first time. But yeah my tip was sort of large to begin with, not necessarily bulbous but large. And then when i had surgery he thinned out everything BUT the tip which is why now it looks very bulbous. Which is pretty annoying. I'm not sure if it will be broken since he did not mention in the consult, but I will be sure to ask. I had mine broken the first time and I'm hoping to possibly avoid that again because it makes for a rougher healing process.
I love the frontal simulation! It looks like you are just getting refinement, so it is great that there is no glaring deformity going on. But it does suck not having the nose you were initially expecting. Soon it will all be behind you! Yay! You really are beautiful already.

I was very surprised to see a revision review by you here because I remember following your initial review when you got your primary surgery, and I absolutely loved your results. However, you are right, your nose looks very different now. I still think you're beautiful, but it does look very scooped, and a big difference from how your nose initially looked. I love your simulation photos! Are you planning on going with the same surgeon, or a different one this time?
Thank you! :) Yeah I was very happy at first and then a few months later I thought it was changing but I just attributed it to me being overly critical or "paranoid".But then at the six month mark I compared photos and I was convinced it was different. It was the strangest thing ever. And I am DEFINITELY going to a different surgeon this time, haha!
I really like the simulation frontally. Can I ask which doctor your looking into?

Unsure, untrusting & indecisive.

I've scheduled another appointment with the doctor I consulted with. I want to re-hash our plan and ask more questions. I will probably book a surgery date while I'm there. I will also be consulting with a second surgeon a while later to just get a second opinion.

I like the doctor I've seen so far a lot. And I don't necessarily doubt his capabilities ....but I'm having major issues with this surgery idea. I know my nose needs to be dealt with and the only way it will change is through another operation. But I am very untrusting due to my first experience. The doctor I'm considering now is definitely more qualified and a better surgeon than my first. However, that doesn't mean this will turn out to be a great surgery/nose. What if it looks even worse the second time? What then? More pain and suffering and an outrageous healing process (1 year or more), another loss of thousands of dollars, and now a worse nose? Sounds like a shitty time to me. I would not be able to pay for or go through a third surgery either. So is it worth it to possibly have another bad experience? What if my nose collapses and I can no longer even breathe decently? Revision surgery is even harder than primary rhino and rhinoplasty is the hardest cosmetic surgery of all. The morph pictures look good but that's never a promise.

I am wishing over and over again that I had just gone to this surgeon for my primary and not made the mistake of picking Dr. Schalit (1st guy). Then I wouldn't be in this mess. But wishing does nothing and you can't turn back time so why bother wasting energy on it? I need to focus my energy into decision making for the future instead of agonizing over things I can't change.

Also this surgery would be planned at a changing point in my life. It might be too much at once. I would be changing from a state college to a university, I would be moving in with my dad because he got a house closer to my new school, and my fiance is also moving out and into his friends house or getting his own apartment (he has been living with me). I would consider getting my nose done NEXT winter break instead of this one....but then again I hate this nose and do I really want to live with it an entire extra year? No...and waiting a year won't mean my surgery will turn out perfect or that anything will go better. But I am a difficult person when it comes to huge changes all at once. Change is ok...but I do better in smaller increments. I mean for god's sake I cut 3.5 inches off my hair recently, put layers in it, and am going blonde and I was in a state of shock the first day because it was a huge change. Now, a week later, I love it. But still, that gives me an insight as to what I might be feeling if I do too many things at once....I don't want to have a huge break down.

I'm just wondering if I should even bother fixing it...I'm just so afraid of the possibility of a bad outcome. And I feel incredibly selfish even thinking of having a rhinoplasty. It just sounds ridiculous. There are people who can't feed themselves yet I'm about to spend a lot of money on my "looks". For a second time.

Oh, your most recent update I could have written myself! In certain lighting I figure, screw it... let's try to live with it! But then there will be my nose under other lighting, and it is just too different and inconsistent and crooked and just effed up that I can't handle it. It actually pisses me off when I take a "good" photo, because it is just a fleeting moment.... it doesn't really look like that. Aside from that, I really think you are stunning! I don't see a "bad nose job" or anything of the sort. You are right that waiting won't guarantee anything, but the point is that it is important for you to approach this with a stable mind and outlook. I don't think we could ever be 100% on this, because of what we have been through... but we both probably weren't 100% the first time either. If you were like me, you probably just figured the odds were in your favor. Now you are armed with new information and you are rightfully scared, so you really must wait until it feels right. Don't do it out of desperation. It's kind of like dating someone right after you broke up with an ex for cheating on you. You know what men, and in our case, surgeons are capable of. But that is why you take your time to choose the right next boyfriend- they aren't all dogs but it takes time to trust. It is exactly the same with this rhinoplasty headache. You will just know when it is right for you. Good luck!
If you have breathing issues tgen I think you should have revision and at the same time fix the other issues. Just make sure you choose a qualified surgeon. Good luck.
In the last two pictures you posted your nose looks so different from the other pics, it looks perfect. It looks like you already had a revision there.

I had another meeting with the doctor I think I'm going with today. I got a lot more questions answered and he made me feel a lot more comfortable about the whole thing. My dad even likes him a lot and my dad isn't one to easily like someone. He brought up the whole worrying about it being worse the second time scenario without me saying it. He says he takes pictures of the person's nose right when he finishes the operation that way when they wake up from surgery they can see it and have some peace of mind while they're waiting to get the cast off. This is a great thing to do for patients, and I don't know why everyone doesn't do it. I asked for another simulation picture of my right oblique angle (one of my worst sides) so I can see that as well because it;s the most awkward part of my nose and I'm interested in seeing how that is going to be simulated. I'm going to call the office Monday and schedule a surgery. it's going to be more expensive than I originally thought because I thought my quote was for the revision cosmetic work AND the septoplasty, but apparently it was only for the cosmetic work so I guess I gotta tack on another couple thousand for that, but I think insurance will probably pay most of that part. I think I'm going to schedule for December this year even though I have other stuff going on because I might as well just get it over with. I will probably make another review when I know my exact date because this page is kind of messy and not well organized and that bothers me. I feel a lot more confident in my choice of surgeon and I don't want to have another consult with the second surgeon but I will anyway because it can't hurt.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

No revision will be booked.

And now today I got the notification that any plans of surgery are being cancelled due to things outside my control. I want to thank anyone on here who has given support, it is much appreciated :)

Who was the surgeon you saw?
Aww, sorry to hear... but maybe one day! Let us know, yes? You truly are still very beautiful, beyond the average. Good luck to you :)