The best decision I have ever made!

To be able to tie my shoes will be amazing!! ...

To be able to tie my shoes will be amazing!! Getting the gastric sleeve will help me in so many ways. I will be able to enjoy every part of life and being a mother!!! After being overweight for so long I finally had to make the choice to live a better life for my daughter. She deserves all of me!!

Welcome and thanks so much for sharing your journey with us!

It won't be long until your big day. When do you need to start your pre-op liquid diet?
Thanks I get my gallbladder and ultra sounds done intro weeks so unfortunately no forth of July BBQ's me. My liquids start 6/20. So my hubby and I are having a BYE-BYE big girl party 6/14! I'm so excited, all I can think about is going sledding with my daughter for the first time this winter!
Aww, I'm sure your daughter will love that! We've all had the "bye-bye" party, make the most of it and then be ready to work hard on your pre-op diet. :-) Keep us updated with your progress!

Last Xmas overweight

Me that made me depressed

The new me

June is here!

I will be very busy this week, physical therapy for 30 days, nutrition class on June 4, blood work and EKG June 12, daughters birthday June 19, kalahari June 21, then 2 week pre-op liquid diet, I need the lord and Bruno Mars to help me through this. I really looking forward to being off work even if it is for painful surgery, I just need a break. I'm so lucky to have my husband, he has really taken the lead on everything at home, on top of being my person chauffeur. I can't wait to be able to play naughty nurse for him when this weight is gone:)...I'm usually so reserved I really wanna shock him.

I'm so excited to read a new review! I'm June 14th so I'm a bit ahead. My bariatric nurse told me to write down some smaller goals to read when things are tough, I think tying your laces would be an excellent one! Good luck on your journey and welcome to the gang!

Nutritionist appointment went well today very excited

Today with my nutrition class before my surgery. Went well. There were three other women in the class. 2 getting the sleeve and one getting gastric bypass. I am so excited time is flying by. Nutrition class done. next week EKG and bloodwork, and finally surgery! I started working out today. I did arms and squats I really want to keep my butt!

I'm Approved!

It's official, insurance approved my surgery, 7/11 is my lucky day! I'm so excited. It's like its REAL now. They did say I have to start taking some Prilosec 20mg. For some minor irritation. I just told my hubby and my dad, they are taking me to Frankenmuth for a congratulations dinner!

Congrats Shugga......my date is July 9th and I'm so excited for the both of us! Yaaaay.....GOD is GOOD! :-)

Still excited, counting down,

I ordered my calcium citrate today also looked at bariatric advantage for vitamins. The only thing I am not looking forward to that darn Foley catheter! Hate them!

Me pre surgery

Bye bye big girl !!!

Congratulations!!

Yup yup .. It officially official

Letter came today, I'm so excited, only 28 days to go!!!

Did good today,

I figured I would try the 1000 calorie thing today, breakfast was a half of a banana and a low fat yogurt, snack was a slim Jim. Lunch was a hot dog and bun,afternoon snack was some watermelon about 2 cups and dinner was grilled chicken 2 wings and 1/2 cup of red potato salad. I feel like I ate too much and I barely reached 1000 calories. Also I drank two 20oz waters, I think I'll try again tomorrow

Bored

You did great on your trial day! Try and up your protein if you can, maybe more hot dog and less bun (takes all the fun out of it I know:)) - you've definitely got this. One bit of advice I'd give is try and be hydrated as possible pre sx, because drinking after is a full time occupation...if you're not sleeping you're sipping :)

Time is Flying by

Just got the call for my appointment with the anesthesia department on 7/3. The same day I start my 1000 cal diet! It's happening and I am so excited! My husband has gotten into his excited mood too. He saying a cruise in December sounds good .

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Being fat sucks!!!! I'm Motivated more than ever.

Well I'm at Cedar point for my daughter's birthday, she just turned seven years old. She is having a ball riding the rides and I'm sitting on the bench, Holding drinks and hats. I feel so left out. To big and self conscious to ride anything, scared I'm going to be embarrassed and told to get off because I can't fit or even worse, break or get stuck in something. I almost feel like today was a waste if $50 because I could enjoy any of the rides. Well like I said, I am more motivated than ever, Come on July 11th I'm so ready to start my new life!

Next year you'll be doing all that and more!
Hey! That is so awesome you've been approved and on your way to a new life. You are beautiful now and will be even more beautiful after. Your life is about to change and it's an amazing journey! Take plenty of before pictures and after pics so you can compare to see the difference. Once again Good Luck!

Day one of 1000 calorie diet!

Ok I have been trying to do a trial diet for the last few days and everything has been going well, I think the next five days will be ok. The 3 days of liquids will be a true test of will. God will give mr he strength.

Not long now!
Not at all, a little nervous. I'm all packed, have meds and grocery list completed. All I need now is to take my pre surgery measurements and photos. I'm ready!
Good luck on ur surgery! What kind of insurance you have. Did u have to go through hoops

3 more days until Surgery

The jitters have set in. I'm scared, nervous, happy, excited...diet is going well, I'm packed and have everything I need post op. I find myself thinking about the procedure every dingle minute now. I pray even more when I think about it. I am so ready for this change. Omg I forgot to tell you about an incident on July 3. My husband and I went to an outdoor concert and the seats that were available were folding chairs that hooked together at the sides. There was no space in between. I was literally mashed between my husband and another lady. I was so uncomfortable I stood most of the the show, my wonderful husband stood right there with me hugging me. I know he picked up on how irritated I was that day. Encounters like that is why I need this. I refuse to miss out on having a good time because I'm too fat! Never again!

Hey girl, I'm going to a seminar on August 7th! I'm super excited I've been wanting to do this for a while and now that I have the right insurance it's finally happening! I'm also from Michigan :) good luck to you- can't wait for ur post op reviews!
Thanks, everyday is making it easier. I'm so glad I'm off work now because this liquid diet is a challenge. The good thing is I have a variety of things to choose from so I'm not bored I just have that need to chew. It's 1 pm now so have the day is gone and I have drank 160 calories. It's doable I just have to stay focused. I also looked at your page you look great, I know I'm going to do the lipo and breast lift in a few years but if I could get close to where you are now, I would be beside myself,

Surgery is 19 hours away

It's a beautiful morning today. I woke up around 8:00 am and drank a cup of coffee, then went to Home Depot to get some weed killer. I'm kind of glad today is the last day of all liquids. My daughter is kind of nervous because I haven't been away from her for more than two days and now since I'm going to the hospital she's saying she's lonely already. So tonight we're going to watch a movie and Spend mommy/daughter time and go to bed early. I do miss my baby already she's so affectionate. I promised her that I would buy a bike and we would go bike riding later this year. I have had a bunch of calls wishing me well and I feel like I have done everything I needed to do. The clothes are washed the kitchen is clean my husband is painting the swingset I'm about to kill some weeds and rest for the rest of the day. I plan on posting some pre-op photos and depending on how I feel I may post some after surgery photos provided I don't look like a monster. Thanks for all of the support you guys have given me.

I know how you feel. My surgery is in 4 days. I will be praying for you. Please let us know about your experience if you can.
OMG! The big day is tomorrow! Good Luck!!!

Anyone get sick after taking the antibiotics?

Omg I took the antibiotics for the stomach and the incisions at 1pm. Now I am so nauseous, any one else experience this? Of course I can't eat anything because surgery is tomorrow, I'm trying to drink more water, but it seems to make it worst. I really don't wanna get sick again at 8 pm when I take my second round.

Antibiotics can upset the stomach, I wasn't given any before or after my surgery. It might be worth mentioning it to your surgeon to see if you can have a different sort post op. I hope you feel better soon!
Yes I sure do . surgery went perfect, when I woke up the first thing I felt was PAIN!! Hey I never wanted to feel pain so bad in my life, it lets me know everything is going good . I livE in Michigan And it's about 10:35 PM. I just got my IV meds and I never thought I would be begging for chicken broth. But overall I feel great. the pain is bearable, I walked my sister to the elevator after her visit and walked back, no bowel movement yet but I actually love my catheter! Here area couple of pre op and post op incision scars

Surgery Day, completed!!!

First day home, pain is bearable, I've found a comfortable position to sit and lay down, put I really wish I had the liquid pain meds
I was given the liquid pain med Hydrocodone and it really work and puts me right to sleep which is okay with me! I don't mind sleeping through the pain of my body finally coming back to life after a couple of days post op. My right side hurts where they pulled the stomach through......the liquid meds are the BEST! Glad your home and now sleeved towards a new start to living a happier, healthier life! CONGRATS Shugga! ;-)
Omg I think I'm going to call in the morning, it's 5:22am now and I have gotten about 3 hours sleep, the ice pack is working better than the pain meds. I have been up walking most of the evening thinking its gas but have not had any relief yet, I'm glad you are feeling much better, it gives me hope that I can fight through these next couple of days. One thing I can say is that I learned fast how to sip slowly. I really can't tell if I'm hungry or just in pain.

First night home....

First night home is rough. While I'm awake the spin is always there on my left side. The pain pills aren't working, I need something stronger. Sleeping is not going well. I moved from the bed to the couch and both are equally uncomfortable. I have been able to get a little comfort by placing 6 pillows around me really snug. That's how I'm laying now barely able to move. I have been trying to get my liquids in but the pain is so bad I don't wanna sit up to eat anything, The good thing is that once I find that comfortable spot the pain leaves almost immediately,,, so that's why I say it's bearable. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

I'm praying for you to have a better tomorrow in Jesus name, Amen! :-)
As Ebony said, the first few days are 'what did I do?'. You're very swollen inside right now. I found the colder the water the better, I guess it's like icing your stomach, and I had as many sugar free Popsicles as I could. Don't worry about food but really try and stay hydrated, I know it's hard, but you'll feel much better for it.
Hi! Hope all is well! It's going to be hard these first couple of months but eventually things will get better. Stay strong and welcome to your new lifestyle.

Day 4 post op done!

I have just learned that Popsicles are my new best friend, I started my protein today. I'm working on getting another 40 grams down, the protein is definitely the hardest part aside from not knowing if I'm hungry. The pain has gotten so much better. I still have that one sharp pain on my left that is kicking my butt. I ready to get this going I wanna start working out, not to mention 3 weeks waiting before I can enjoy my husband!!!

Your blog has truly helped me for my new journey (July 30, 2014). I pray you feel a lot better. Seems you was in great pain. You are going to be ABSOLUTELY gorgeous!!!
Now that I'm past it the pain isn't that bad. I had spurts of sharp ones but it is totally bearable because you are resting most of the time, like right now I have no pain at all and last took my pain meds at 11:30. you will do fine. My prayers and blessings to you,
Popsicles all the way! I found they helped so much and it's all more liquid. I was so happy to read your update. I hated the thought of you in so much pain, every day will be easier now. Just like the song says 'one day at a time sweet Jesus'. (Btw I have only started to feel a little hungry this week, which is 4 weeks out)

First post op visit

Well I'm headed to see my doctor today for follow up to see how much I have list, but my first question is going to be when is the left side pain ending? Today I found that wearing my waist wrap provides a lot of relief when standing so I have been able to walk a lot today. Still struggling with my protein, I really have to get on a schedule because I'm just not hungry and can't drink anymore

First visit was great!!

First visit was wonderful, Dr. Roberts is the best. I'm down 9lbs, !!! My rings are loose now. And I have some loafers that are basically flip flops now, The pain is getting easier mainly because I am waking and standing more. The doctor says the left pain will definitely get much better as the swelling goes down. Do I am so excited right now. You guys have bee do wonderful also with all of your support. Your the best!!

My face is shrinking

Milk indeed is good

Today I used some 1% milk in my protein drink and blended it with ice. It was so good, my snack I drank just under a cup of plain milk and loved it. I think I have a new love next to my Popsicles, Milk is really filling also. I think I'm going to get that unjury flavor free protein mix and start doing that along with shakes, I'm so excited Friday I get to try some cream of wheat! Is funny now because these small foods bring me so much joy,

I just found you from your comment on the Diet Myths guide and so glad I did! I'm excited to see you are post op and am commenting so I can join your journey and give you cheers! Your post about being more motivated than ever was so heartfelt. I'm loving your story and photos. Thank you so much for sharing.

Can anyone give me advice on drainage pump? Good God!!! It hurts so bad. I had my surgery on Monday, July 14th and I will get my drain out Friday.
Hi, didn't have a drain, I have 5 puncture holes that were sealed with glue no stitches. I have swelling on my left side but the right side has no pain at all. when I saw my doctor he said the left side is where they use all of their tools so the pain will last for a few weeks but it's bearable. But walking has done wonders and he changed my pain meds to the liquid version Vicodin. Worked in seconds

Supportive husband is in Dog house !!

Ok while I have been doing wonderful sticking yo my phases, my husband has helped by eating his unhealthy crap in the basement. But today, some how he figured he would eat upstairs. This football head nut went to Wendy's and bought his dinner and sat down to eat, in the past he was very reasonable maybe a potato a drink and a burger, today he pulls out a chicken sandwich, I say ok not bad with the medium fry, he inhales the damn thing, I look over in shock, he begins to shovel the French fries in, I seriously doubt he took a breath while eating, I'm amazed, but he is not done, this guy pulls out 2 cheeseburgers. TWO... I had to say something, before I knew it I had slapped one of them out his hand onto the bed, he is about to throw up because he is laughing so hard, I honestly don't have a craving for any fast food! It's just the fact that he was able to eat three sandwiches and a fry I'm 10 minutes. My husband is one of those people u hate because they are naturally thin and can eat whatever with no consequences. I'm still shock!!

He may be thin and healthy now but he won't be if he keeps eating like that! Anyway, you're doing great, how cool that you can tell with your shoes and rings already. You're going to be one of our super success stories, I just know it!
I didn't have a drain, it's quite unusual to have one, did you just have the sleeve or was anything else done? It's a drain not a pain pump? I hope you feel better soon!

I love my nutri-bullet

My nutritionist called to check on me yesterday and said that I could try some other stuff to purée ... Yes ... Thank you, she suggested I get some crab meat with beans and mayo, or maybe some tuna with a dab of ligature sour cream.
I love seafood so anything I try will certainly be including seafood, it's about 8:30 am here on michigan now, so I guess I'll spend the next hour planning my meals for the week. I bought me some new storage containers so it's time to put them to use, I am felling wonderful today,,, have a magnificent day today!!

I ate loads of crab and salmon mousse at your stage, not the sort made with cream of course. If you love seafood you're onto a winner!
I had the drainage tube in. After surgery I was in pain but after giving meds on surgery date, I haven't felt any pain just sore. Pain meds was giving thru IV and I took meds by mouth.

Staying on track

One week down and I am still here. This by far has been the most difficult week ok my life. First of all because I don't like being in pain. I am do glad my doctor changed my pain meds over to the liquid firm, although I don't need it during the day, they are amazing at night. Also this Saturday I cooked for my family, I real challenge, I cooked break fast sausage, eggs, pancakes... I ate a premier protein shake! (Yum). They wanted grilled hot for lunch, I ate applesauce.., and for dinner they wanted on of my favorites..home made tacos... And I are cream of celery soup. The crazy part is I didn't even have the urge to eat any of their food. I mean no one can say no to a burnt grilled hotdog? I did it, I didn't give in, I finally stuck to something. I think I finally realized that I am actually going to lose the weight. I'm actually stronger than I have ever been. I can actually balance these two lives. I am so excited to see how the next few weeks go. I go back for a check up on 8/6. I would like to weigh myself then, but I have to do it sooner, my underwear are now flapping in the wind. Lol!!! I have to go shopping for the first time!

I don't know what I'd do if I had to cook for a family, really you are such an inspiration, and a great cook too by the sounds of it! Blessed, I loved it when you said you'd realised you were going to lose it, because when that feeling hit me it was the strangest, most wonderful thing. I've failed for so many years, to just know that this time I'm going to lose a lot is mind blowing. Not that I'm complacent about it, it's fine right now because I can't even eat a whole egg, but I think I have the tools to do it. Flapping underwear lol. I notice I have saggy ruches in the front of my trousers where they used to stretch over my stomach :) nice to put a face to the name by the way, you've got a beautiful smile.
Lol thanks, I really feel so happy now, I told my husband I love being happy and smiling all day long!
Good Job!!!! You kept it together! !! I was in the same situation. Cooking for the family. I cooked Collard greens, BBQ chicken, macaroni cheese, and yams. All I could have was soup and shakes. It's adjustment but hey who gone look awesome soon.

Started walking more ..so tired

OMG... I need a nap. My husband and I went to the track two days in a row now trying to get my stamina up. I was so tired. I was able to walk a 1/2 mile in about 20 minutes before the pain came back. So slowly I'm getting stronger. I need a pick me up. Any ideas?

Just keep your faith, I'm sure it will get easier.
Just take it easy and try and increase your stamina gradually. I don't know what your activity was like pre op. but I'd hate for you to do too much and get an injury that stops you doing it at all. Your doing great, I think a nap is a well deserved pick me up, or how about something to wear in a couple of sizes down? Don't spend a lot though, you won't be in it long!

Incisions have healed nicely

I am two weeks post op and my incisions are healing nicely, they were itching like crazy so I used some peroxide and vitamin E. Things are moving along, today I am working on my patience. Everyday I will pick a new thing to focus on.

Mine itched when they were healing too. I'm so glad the pain is gone!
Wow I looked thru your pictures and see you also went to St. Mary's where I'm going. I had breast reduction 2 years ago and a tummy tuck about 15 months ago. I'm hoping with the tummy tuck done I won't have so much extra skin after my weight loss. I'm 59 yrs old and 235#.
I'm so excited to hear of your journey. I'm also from Michigan (right between Lansing & Grand Rapids) and start by going to my free seminar on Aug. 9th. Keep the faith......

This is not easy.. Please font listen to anyone who says this is the easy way out

Today was difficult. I woke up very weak. I think I may be a little dehydrated. I didn't get dizzy or anything just been feeling extremely tired all day. We took my daughter to ride her bike and I just felt exhausted walking from the parking lot to the bench. I decided to get some pedialyte to sip on. I am having one of those days where I am wondering why did I go this. I just wanna feel energized and vibrant, I have yo remember I am only 17 days post op. Last night I rolled over and it felt like I pulled a muscle or tore something. Whatever it was it hurt like hell, took my breath away for a moment. Hopefully it was nothing major. If I font feel better tomorrow I'll head to the dr office. This is by no means at all the easy way out!

I know it hasn't been a month yet but I still want to know how your weight loss has been?
It's going steady. I've lost another 4lbs. I'm still trying to get in all the protein. It's hard because I really don't want up eat. I did enjoy my half cup of mashed potatoes today, made me full quick, I'm really glad I decided to get my sleeve, I would probably be 30lbs heavier right now. I was a serial over eater. I'm so happy I'm changing now.
You are right, 17 days isn't long for quite serious surgery. Hydration is so hard to keep up in the early weeks, definitely not a nice, easy option!

Gave in and weighed myself today

Today has been wonderful even though it has been raining most of the day. I wanted together with my dogs and walk but got lazy. Today I ate come cream of wheat and was able to get down 2 tablespoons. The one thing I hate is to waste food, I have wasted so much lately, I have no more room in my freezer for left overs, today I weighed 280.7 lbs. from my beginning weight of 305lbs when I was approved for surgery. I think I probably would have lost more if that spirt of dehydration had not occurred. It definitely slows down your weight loss. I can feel my energy level coming back, I have a follow up with my surgeon tomorrow and I think I will ask for a few more weeks off work as I don't feel anywhere near 80% better. Still having diarrhea every few days and having a little pin on my left side still. But over all I feel this has been the best choice of my life, I have been looking through old photos of myself and I am so glad that person I used to be is changing. My hopes are better for the future.

The old me

More pics

You're such a beautiful person, and you have a beautiful family too. You've done so well. When I read your story, I could totally relate, I remember waiting in a 2hr line for the Riddler at Magic Mountain, only to get to the front and try to get on but the saftey belt wouldn't close, then being escorted to the exit. Its one of the most humiliating things ever! Keep up the good work, you'll get there!
Your journal of pre surgery and post surgery is a motivation for me and my future gastric bypass. I hope you continue to be strong and achieve your goals. Wanda VA
Really enjoyed ready your journey, thank you!

2 months post op down 40lbs

Feeling really good, trying to eat different things and I'm still surprised at how little I eat. The hardest thing that I am having trouble with is not drinking and eating at the same time. It's a tough habit to break,

I'm sitting here & decided to go online to look up gastric sleeve & this website came up. So glad I clicked on your postings. I'm having to lose about 40 lbs before my doctor will submit to my insurance for approval. I only have 20 lbs to go. During this wait I've become a little discouraged but seeing your before & after so far has me excited about the surgery again. I'm 40 with a 3 yr. old daughter. Best wishes to you. Thanks for the laugh about slapping that sandwich out of your husband's hand. I can see that happening with my fiancé.
Thank you for sharing. I hope you contiue to share. I'm on the road to surgery still at the mandatory supervised whieght loss stage per my insurance so I'm looking at possibly December surgery fingers crossed it's this year
2 months, down 40lbs?! You're doing fabulous!

Loving how I'm changing!!

Hi there... I am almost 3 months post op and down 45lbs. I'm on all regular low fat foods now and still can only eat a cup of food, I tried to take a sip of juice and eat, not a good idea, only ate a table spoon of food, lol... Exercise is getting easier too, protein still a challenge. But loving it!!!

thank you for sharing!!! God bless you and your family
So happy for you! Thanks for sharing!
Dr. Jacob Roberts

So compassionate and understanding he really know how people in my position are feeling