Functional Nasal Septal Reconstruction - Miami, FL

My surgery was performed because my right nasal...

My surgery was performed because my right nasal passage was completely obstructed. The Dr. Informed me that she might have to alter the tip slightly in order to support the internal changes. At first I was psyched because I hated my nose. But then I had a change of heart. I figured the nose god gave me was just fine. Besides what if I didn't like my 'new nose' I had no idea what it would look like and it was all in her hands. Then as I was in pre op, getting my IV & vitals, Dr. Came in and informed me that if she couldn't use the Cartilage in my nose to support the new tip, she would have to take a piece of my ear! Yikes!!!! She said it would only be a slight change, and I agreed. When I came out of surgery 5 hours later and went home I freaked out and thought I looked like miss piggy!!!! I cried for a week. Fortunately once the splints came out and cast came off I looked more normal. Now, just short of 4 weeks I can say that I am very satisfied with the results! Not only do I not look so bad, and not miss piggyish... I can breathe! I am still very sore though. They has to break the nasal bones to reposition my nose and I had an open nose reconstruction. There are still many live stitches in there. I Inadvertantly pulled at a big one which runs through my septum with a Qtip todayzzzz OUCH! (Not recommended!!) anyway I'm happy with the results. But definitely a more difficult recovery than I anticipated!!!

4 weeks

Heres a couple of side views. Being as though I don't normally look at myself from this angle I didn't think to snap shots of it.. I'm kind of not that psyched about it. The tip looks kind of fat. Hopefully it's still swollen. But nothin I can do about it now .. So just hoping the internal swelling will get better soon and the STITCHES are driving me crazy!

Front view (the pig nose)

Front view. This one I don't particularly like. But again, whatever. Can't get my old nose back :-/

5 weeks

I'm grateful that I can breathe. But still feels swollen on the inside. Stitches are still very much there. A big long one came loose and I had to snip it. Getting boogers out is practically a surgical procedure. I use saline to loosen them up and use sterile tweezers to pull them out. Then I use peroxide soaked w tips after and neosporin. It's awful. The tip of my nose is really hard where before it was flexible. I also think the tip is longer than it was before? Strange. But ultimately I can breathe which was my goal so I'm :)

Does new tip look longer???

Looks weird to me.

Before & After pics
Dr. Harirchian ENT Plastic Surgeon

A young beautiful brilliant lady. She is absolutely inspiring! What she did for me was nothing short of a miracle! She was always sweet and happy to answer a multitude of questions and even let my 9 year old daughter who also wants to be a surgeon, look through the scope! I am humbly grateful. Highly recommended. Jackson Memorial Hospital.

I'm 8 months post op now & the tip still feels really freaking strange... Like someone else's nose. I'm much mor used to the appearance not concerned w that at all... And the breathing is AMAZING ... & my sense of smell is like hypersensitive... So many smells make me nauseous :-/ ... But I wonder how long before it starts to "feel" like my own nose..
How much did it cost you if u don't mind me asking?
It was fully covered by my insurance being as though it was not a cosmetic procedure.
Your new nose looks amazing! And so glad that it is working as well as it looks- you hit the jackpot! congrats
Thanks so much. It's weird when I see my reflection but I'm ok with it!!
Hey Miss Perez: If you had a 5 hour surgery you had a LOT of work done. It looks like you had an open surgery where they cut under your collumella and flipped back the skin so they can see the internal part of the nose. That is what causes the intense swelling for so long. The tip will be swollen the longest because swelling gets better from the top down. The tip is the last place on the nose along with the columella so the swelling (fluid) has no where to go (drain). You can have swelling up to a year to 18 months. A large % of the swelling will be gone before that time but not all of it. Some days your nose won't look too swollen, then bam, the next day it will. Don't eat too much salty food because that will make swelling worse. I am about 9 months from a tip revision. I had ear cartilage put in my tip too. After about 6 months everything felt back to normal, no pain or stiffness. When everything gets soft again & flexible, it will quit hurting. If everything is hard, that is swelling & swelling is inside & out. Be patient, I can see through your swelling and you will have a great result. Maybellineo
ditto. true true true. I will be grateful (I hope) to swell a bitaafter my revision bc at least I will have a bridge!
OMG yes! The tip is super hard and awkward feeling! The columella is numb still. The stitches are still really prevalent and bothersome, and though I feel my nasal passages are clear it is still swollen on the inside and difficult to breathe sometimes. You're right about salt that's what the dr told me. & Yes I did have a lot of work done. I had a disaster in there. Thanks for the pointers, I really appreciate it!!!!
No, not a pig nose. You can't see up your nostrils. Plus you are only 28 days post op so you have a lot of swelling. Drink a lot of pineapple juice & get some arnica montana. That will help with the swelling too. Sleep with your head elevated on several pillows. You will be happy with your new nose.
Really?? You think it's still swollen after 4 weeks? Te inside definitely is but I didn't think the outside was. That's a relief. How long before the inside won't hurt you think? They opened it up and did a LOT of work in there. & thanks for the encouragement!!
Thanks maybellineo... I use NYX soft matte cream.
Your nose looks really good. Your profile looks great. Can you post a full frontal view. BTW your lip are gorgeous. Maybellineo

Oh gosh, your description of catching your stitch made me cringe. That must've felt terrible! I know that "Miss Piggy" feeling. I think it's because we're used to downward pointing tips and when it doesn't point down anymore, we feel so exposed and like our nostrils are showing to much, even though it's objectively aesthetically better.

I think you look great! Thank you so much for sharing on RealSelf.

Thanks Angiemcc. :) I think because my purpose for the surgery was just to be able to breathe better, the change was really shocking for me. I think when someone goes in to have elective cosmetic surgery for apperance purposes, they have time to envision themselves lookig differently. I really didn't, and I totally freaked out! Plus the swelling probably didn't help. But now I can say, 4 weeks later, that I'm pretty ok with it.I'm still pretty sore and tender, especially on he inside which they completely butchered in order to reocnstruct is still really swollen and sore in there... May I ask, how long did it take for your stitches to dissolve?
The opposite is also true. At one point my nose was upturned too much. I got it fixed and had a tip that was rotated down a bit. It took a little time to get used to, but I did and love it now. Maybellineo
your result is gorgeous too maybellineo!
Thanks so much Tracy! It took years for Dr. Perenack to agree to revise my nose. He didn't want to do it because I had already had so many revisions. I actually went to another Dr. out of state that resulted with my tip disappearing after 5 years. Dr. P finally agreed & did a great job.
wowzie what a journey! thank God with a happy result! Will let y'all know when I get my email computer imaging!
I would love to see some side views post op but you are amazing you must be very excited! congratulations! flipping gorgeous!!
Thanks tracyfitz.. I'll try to figure out how :)
lol hurry hurry!
Tracyfitz.... They should be up :-/ thanks for that rude awakening LOL
sorry! yes I saw on here. postop pic is unbelievable! gorgeous n perfect as a nose can be! congratulations on all of your success, hard part over!
OMG thank you. I really didn't want to change anything but the inside, so I am grateful the change wasnt too drastic and most of all that it fits my face :) Thanks so much
truly breathtaking!