Extreme Nearsightedness Saga - Miami, FL

Born with vision of 20/1000+ in each eye, it...

Born with vision of 20/1000+ in each eye, it didn't hold me back. Became certified scuba diver using mask with custom RX lens, etc. Eyeglasses caused headaches, many sports impossible, zero ability to function without glasses, etc. About 1983, life safety issues due to blindness (20/200 is legally blind) and rejection of contacts necessitated experimental cornea remove, reshape, reattach for each eye done 1 year apart due to lengthy recovery and risk. My career goal to be a commercial pilot required vision correctable to 20/20. Post surgery, as I waited each year for the corneas to stabilize and achieve final correction, I continued flight training. The corneal remove, reshape, reattach outcome was uncorrected vision of 20/40 and 20/60 but I did not get vision correctable to 20/20 and gained an astigmatism. Goodbye pilot, hello plan B! Since the corneal remove, reshape, reattach, I have never used any vision correction (contacts or glasses). As age gradually affected my eyes, I did Lasik in both eyes in 2002 to maintain visual function and quality of life. Luckily, I now live close to Bascom Palmer (#1 in world for eyes) and believe me, there is a difference in eye care. At 51, with blur, glare, floaters and haziness while looking at the computer right now, I need reading glasses but holding out by skipping the fine print and still thankful every day for the gift of vision. Be careful, never operate on your eyes frivolously or risk your vision for vanity. My corneas are now too thin for any more surgery that may be medically needed.

Doctor invested in prohibitively expensive equipment for experimental procedure with very few patients that were actual candidates.