Just Saying! - Miami, FL

I am sitting here reading reviews and I just have...

I am sitting here reading reviews and I just have to comment. My experience seems so different from most of the reviews. I had face, not brow lift, neck, eyelid and had muscle between brow cut. After 2 months i finally feel a little normal but my face is numb, under chin, forehead, eyebrows, earlobes. I think that covers it. I am not a wimp I am in great shape and I am 58. This procedure kicked my ------. I look good people think I look different no sagging no hanging neck i look very natural. I had a top doctor only does faces in miami. I could barely leave the house I felt so uncomfortable pressure like a vice. I find It so hard to believe people are back to themselves in 2 weeks. I just had to get this out there because a facelift is no walk in the park and people should be aware going forward with the surgery.

I totally agree -- how people can go back in 2 weeks --- i kept my sunglasses on when going grocery shopping -- didn't feel comfortable at all!! At 3 months felt better - neck still swollen -- 4 months better but of course numb areas still exist. I give it 7 to 9 months -- not 2 weeks. I also wanted to comment I had fat injection put in my frown line -- you chose the brow cut --- how does that look --hard for the surgeon and bruising is suppose to be forever in that area!! True? I still will need Botox down the road but love the fat injection in those ugly creases.
it has been 5 months and the numbness has started to go away but I am still very numb. My ears sides of face,neck, and eye lid. I had no bruising from the muscle cutting between my eyes he did put fat but did not want to put more in that area when I went back for more fat transfers it was part of the price for the facelift. I look very natural but my neck has pleates so i will see him after six months I may need additional work. If all the numbness goes away I will be happy other wise I really don't know if this procedure was worth it.
It will go away --- let's both give it at least 7 to 8 months
I am at the 9 month period. Give it 1 year!!!!!
I love the title of your review! That's one I haven't seen yet. :) I'm sorry this has been rough for you. You're not alone by a long shot. Here's a forum that discusses exactly how rough a facelift recovery can be. I hope your annoying symptoms resolve soon.
Hey..thanks for an honest evaluation of the first several weeks post op. I haven't had the pleasure yet...but soon. So I have a question. Do you think, if downtime and cost weren't considerations, it would have been easier if you had done the facelift first and then had the other procedure (s) 6mo-yr later? I asked in the Q/A what sequence these docs most often used in doing the multiple surgeries together and almost all said they do the facelift first followed by eyes and then fat. So I can see if I break this up into two separate surgeries that the facelift comes first followed by lower eye and fat or fillers. But just from a recovery standpoint do any of you reading this think your discomfort would be lessened if you had only one thing to deal with? tks, grace
Grace..If you haven't had any surgery get, consider an oculoplasty surgeon for the eyes; it is their specialty and your result will be far better than a surgeon who does a lift and eyes. Surgeons who are noted for face lifts usually have a hit and miss result with the eyes but those are the two procedures that are typically done together. The healing time for the eyes is about a week and that's it unlike the healing time for a facelift which is about a year, regardless of what you hear. With a lift, your face is numb, your ears are numb, it feels weird under the chin, notwithstanding the "not so perfect" areas you will see that you hope with fade or look better. I am six months post op facelift with fat transfer. I am hoping that all the nerves, pressure and just weird numbness is gone by one year. For the first month or so, I think there is a "high" and then reality settles in. After a face lift you are swollen and even when you think the swelling has resolved, it hasn't. By the time your lift is at the 3 month point, where most of the visual swelling is gone any fat injected at the time of the lift is also gone. Fat typically has to be overfilled b/c almost half is always absorded by the body. Also, fat is not predictable and you can look very asymmetric. I found that fillers at the 3-4 month post f/l were better, certainly more predictable and you have a choice of fillers addressing whatever area you want. I would recommend a cosmetic dermatologist for that. I know it would be easier to have one doctor who can do it all, but I think for the best results an oculoplasty for eyes, then facial surgeon for lift, and then cosmetic derm for fillers. Good luck
Ann..thank you for your thoughtful answer. I think everything you said makes great sense. In the case of fillers, I asked RS docs, in a way that didn't allow for much evasion, about waiting to have fat grafting and you can review their answers. I think the reason they want to do it at the time of facelift is b/c they have a paying customer on the table and, if possible, why not get that additional fee rather than let some other provider get it in the future. It really makes no aesthetic sense to limit fat transfer to non-compromised parts of the face rather than wait to see how much benefit the facelift alone can provide and assess exactly where the added volume may be needed. When you drill down, you realize that PS is a business. AND, afterall, the PS is simply recommending, not forcing, the patient's participation. That I think is how they rationalize procedures where the benefit is minimal but the cost, both physical and financial, is great. ANd as for healing, I see so many post ops parroting the "it takes 6 months to see your final result". For facelifts...yes. The expansive area affected by a neck and facelift and the depth of the work certainly creates on going visual differences well past the 2 month mark. But a simple upper eye takes 6 months?....no. But the PS might just as well say that; if any revision is going to be needed, he's not going to do it b4 the 5-6 month mark and telling you to give it 6 months for complete healing (when in fact it is all nearly complete at 1 month) just keeps you from time-consuming calls to his office. Again PS is a business!
You are right. I am over two months since surgery and feeling good but still substantial swelling and discomfort but the results are compensating for it. This type of procedure is not a quick fix or for the faint of heart.
I so agree. I thought I had done all my research and knew most of the ins and outs of having facelift with blepharoplasty. I read as much literature as I could find (on and off the internet) regarding recovery and what side effects to expect. This procedure is definitely not for wimps. The sides of my face and my chin are numb. At day 10 post op still have swelling and bruising over much of my cheek area and eyes are still puffy and lower eyelids still fluid filled. I believe I WILL be happy with the result when I am finally healed, but I definitely was not prepared for the recovery time or what I would look like. This procedure is definitely NOT for sissies!
No you are totally right -- oh good for your having muscle done for brow --apparently a lot of bruising? I just had a fat injection and will need Botox down the road ---. It is now three weeks - i still have no feeling under my chin and along the side of my face numb -- ears numb and small bruises left under eyes from lower bleph. I prefer not to go out in public -- friends say you look good - your right no sagging neck but it was a very tough procedure -- that's why I tell people if you don't like the feeling of a helmet on your head squeezing for 24/7 and if you have no patience -- stick to FILLERS. I five myself 3 months to somewhat have numbing leave maybe even six. Hey, I had the fat injections around the smile creases --- yep -- can't smile normally. That bothers me but maybe a couple more weeks -- don't know -- I will do a close mouth smile. Once they figure out how to get my profile up I posted about 22 pictures from day of to day of week three.