Worst Pain in my Teeth! - Miami, FL

I met with the dentist prior to the procedure, and...

i met with the dentist prior to the procedure, and explained my teeth are very sensitive. he said generally people feel little to no pain, and he said i was a candidate to use brite smile. i was worried still that i would feel pain, so the day of the procedure i asked for desensitizing gel. the way he did brite smile was: paint on a protector for your gums, and then paint on the whitening. then you sit for 20 minute under a light, the dentist comes back and removes the whitening and paints on another coat and lets you sit again. he does this 3 times. i didnt feel any pain during the 1st time, then about halfway through the 2nd one i started to feel pain(not unbearable). i called the doctor over using a horn he gave me. and he said i can stop if i want, but if its not unbearable then i should continue to get the full result. so i continued. during the 3rd time towards the end it started to get even more painful, but i waited it out. when the dentist came back he removed all the stuff and thats when the extreme pain started. i had extreme shooting pain that kept coming and going often. i started to cry out of the sheer volume of pain. and all the dentist could say is "everyone is different, you just happen to have very sensitive teeth." "dont worry it only lasts about 12 hours, then the pain will go away." 12 hours?!?! he gave me tylenol and did another desensitizing gel treatment to help. needless to say i will never be doing this again. in fact its steered me away from all whitening treatments. the pain pills and gel did nothing. luckily i had some vicodin. yeah my teeth are whiteer, but you would have to be crazy to do this if you knew how much pain you go through.

rothman

the fact that this dentist did not tell me how painful it can be just to get some money really makes me mad. i had explained that my teeth are very sensitive. their wait time is great, their staff is nice, but based on the lack of information told to me they have lost a client.

Yes I am ok, and my teeth are whiter(a little blotchy though). But now I know, I just feel sometimes dentists underplay how bad it can be, which is aggravating.

I am sooo sorry to hear that you had to experience so much sensitivity. :( At least you did get whiter teeth out of the deal, but those zingers can be pretty intense from what I understand, so I don't blame you a bit for not wanting to do it again.

I do have to say, the dentist really wouldn't have any way of knowing if you would be one of the ones who has a lot of sensitivity. I realize that is of little comfort now, but I really don't think he knew you would experience that, as everyone does seem to react differently to it.

Hoping you are feeling ok now.