Double Mastectomy and TRAM Flap Reconstruction for Breast Cancer - Miami, FL

I was living overseas and was referred to Dr....

I was living overseas and was referred to Dr. Cassel for reconstruction surgery by my oncologist after being diagnosed with breast cancer. Obviously, I was emotionally distraught at realizing I had to undergo a double mastectomy, but Dr. Cassel saw me immediately and spent at least 2 hours explaining the various procedures that could be done, including the pros and cons and risks of each one. He was extremely caring and understanding and made me feel completely at ease. I was alone and had to make my decision quickly. He answered my calls personally and even three years later, he keeps in touch by email. I was amazed at his workmanship and my doctors in Canada all comment on what a fabulous job he has done with my reconstruction. I had four surgeries in total (including scar revision and skin graphs for nipple reconstruction) and each time I felt confident in his abilities. He explained everything to me and I knew I was in good hands. Even the OR nurses confirmed I had a great surgeon, one nurse had also been his patient. I would highly recommend Dr. Cassel.
Miami Plastic Surgeon

I cannot provide a cost as it was an insurance procedure and I had several surgeries with different doctors. I can say that Dr. Cassel significantly reduced his fees so I could afford the surgery. Dr. Cassel is very professional but very compassionate and friendly. He explained all the pros and cons and possible side effects or complications that could arise so I could make an informed decision. His workmanship was extremely well executed and I felt I was very lucky to have been referred to him. In my case, Dr. Cassel worked with a team of doctors for whom I owe my life. My scarring is minimal and my body looks normal. I would highly recommend Dr. Cassel.

Wow...thanks for sharing your story...I wish you the best!
After such a surprising diagnosis, it's nice to hear that you found a doctor you liked and trusted. So happy to hear you had a positive outcome! What type of reconstruction did you end up doing? A flap perhaps? Thank you for taking the time to share your story on RealSelf. It will be an inspiration to many women facing reconstruction.
Hi Beth, yes, I had a double mastectomy with TRAM Flap. I had surgery for scar revision and skin grafts to recreate the nipples. It was a lot to go through but I am happy with the results.
Wow, that's great! I know many women tend to not do the final steps with the nipple reconstruction for various reasons. Did the entire process take about a year, or more?