Ethnic Rhinoplasty (black and filipino)- Miami, FL

Hi! I'm getting a septoplasty/rhinoplasty in less...

Hi! I'm getting a septoplasty/rhinoplasty in less than 2 weeks in Miami. I was initially very nervous about the prospect of touching my nose and surgery, but my confidence in my doctor has increased and I'm counting down the days! I initially wanted to have my procedure done by Dr. Epstein but he was all booked and I was recommended to his associate, Dr. Bared. Although I've never seen any of his pics of black folks before and after noses, the pics that are available on his site are amazing. I just hope/pray that he can deliver with me :-)

I can't breathe thru my left nostril, which is the first reason why I even considered this. Had I not had a deviated septum, I probably wouldn't have touched my nose. But I've always felt I had a rather flat and wide nose. I'm not going for a Caucasian nose that is pointy and sharp looking. I explained that I would like to keep the roundness but scale everything down a bit.

I'm attaching pics of my computer imaging, tell me what u think! Thanks for stopping by...

2 days pre op!

So times winding down and I've been asked how do I feel? My mind is trying to think to into the future, like it's already a week post op. The idea of surgery and the risk of not liking my new nose creeps up bit I just yet to not think about. Like I'm at the point of no return, so I'm just walking g thru the fire now, so to speak...

I did want to give some more insight into what the doc will be doing...

He's going to use cartilage from my septum and also conchal ear cartilage. He'll then wrap that in fascia, taken from my scalp above my ear, hidden behind my hairline. I was very happy to know he wasn't going to use synthetic goretex to help build up my profile, but he prefers to only use my own body' matetials. It means more work for him as the surgeon but it seems to be the best term.

I feel weird about telling people...

I've only told my close family and friends that I'm getting surgery. And I've been kinda wondering how it will feel afterwards in terms of the folks I haven't told and if they'll wonder if I got work done on my face. I almost feel like I'll have to resist the urge to inform everyone I encounter that I got a nose job! Is that weird??

I did it!

So I made it to the other side!! And I feel great about my decision. I read how I should stay out of the mirror but I took a little peek while changing my gauze and I an quite pleased with what I could see! I love the way my nostrils look and I have very minimal swelling and no bruising, but we'll see how tomorrow looks!

My surgery took 4-5 hours and the hardest part was waking up. My anesthesiologist gave me too much I think. Took me about 2 hours to wake up and once I awoke, I felt horrible! I was nauseous and my body was sore. All I wanted to do was sleep! They released me to leave and wheelchaired me to the car but ended up taking me back to do vitals because I looked so bad.

I felt horrible until about 8 pm, when I got up because needed to urinate. Bent over and I started vomiting, which was the best!!! With each heave made me feel better and I saw why! My tummy had blood (from the tube they put down my throat, a popsicle (that they gave me when I first woke up because my mouth was sooooooo dry) and clear fluid. After that, it was as if I was new money!! I could eat (before I wanted to but I couldn't), regained my energy, and walked comfortably again!

Anyway, now I didn't feel that I had made a horrible decision about my nose!

Haven't taken any pain meds either. My ear hurts a little from the graft and my head is a little sore from where they took the fascia graft.

more pics - surgery day

Don't want to jump to conclusions too soon but I think my doctor is amazing! I love what I'm seeing already and I got a little taste earlier with breathing out of BOTH nostrils!

We'll see if anything changes in the days to come :-)

2 days post

Started to get more swelling and puffiness under my eyes. Cheeks are kinda stiff but I thought I'd be way more swollen than this. Dr. Bared is the bomb!
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Bared has been great so far. He received my pics for computer imaging on a Friday and had his recommendations back that Tuesday. He is very thorough, which I can certainly appreciate! Had my first in person consult about a week ago and Dean, my patient advisor sat down and answered all of my questions and concerns. I then met with Dr. Bared and I felt that my care was in the right hands after meeting with him. 3 days post op: I am very pleased with my decision to work with Dr. Bared. I feel that I have a more structurally stronger and functional nose. I believe he is highly skilled, as I did not have much swelling as I had anticipated and no bruising, especially considering I was in surgery for 4 hours. I truly appreciate him using my own body's cartilage and tissue instead of a synthetic implant, I believe it will prove to have been the best option for me in the long run. It was more work for him to harvest ear cartilage and fascia from my scalp rather than just popping in an implant. This proves to me that he truly wants to do what's best for his patients. My result looks great so far!

would love to see an updated picture!
Can you post an after photo?
How is your nose ?
Considering him for my revision rhinoplasty and I have to say I'm impressed with your pictures! How far ahead is he usually booked?
Thank you...I booked like 3 weeks before my surgery, they were able to squeeze me in...
I think you piCked a great doctor and I am interested in following your story because you got your work done in Miami. You look amazing already, I can imagine how gorgeous after its fully healed.
Thanks so much, I would highly recommend Dr. Bared...He does many revisions and I feel that I have an overall stronger structure and more functional nose, not just more asthetically pleasing...He is highly trained and very caring :-)
Congratulation!! I'm happy its over for you. Your nose looks wonderful!
Thank you so much!!
Did you have surgery today?
Yes I did, just posted some updates :-)
Goodluck, please keep us posted !!!
Thank you!
Your nose looks very simliar to my old nose pre -op . I m sure you wil get a very nice job. I thought my old nose, was just to wide and had no shape just as you. Uggh the struggle..lol I would say having the rhinoplasty was one of the best things Ive done for myself. please , keep us posted with your journey to nose freedom ! :)
Thank u so much! That's very encouraging :-) will do!
Your morphs look great! I'm excited for you.

Here's a list of rhinoplasty tips (pre and post-op) that you mind find helpful.

Please keep us posted!