Ethnic Rhinoplasty (black and filipino)- Miami, FL

Hi! I'm getting a septoplasty/rhinoplasty in less...

Hi! I'm getting a septoplasty/rhinoplasty in less than 2 weeks in Miami. I was initially very nervous about the prospect of touching my nose and surgery, but my confidence in my doctor has increased and I'm counting down the days! I initially wanted to have my procedure done by Dr. Epstein but he was all booked and I was recommended to his associate, Dr. Bared. Although I've never seen any of his pics of black folks before and after noses, the pics that are available on his site are amazing. I just hope/pray that he can deliver with me :-)

I can't breathe thru my left nostril, which is the first reason why I even considered this. Had I not had a deviated septum, I probably wouldn't have touched my nose. But I've always felt I had a rather flat and wide nose. I'm not going for a Caucasian nose that is pointy and sharp looking. I explained that I would like to keep the roundness but scale everything down a bit.

I'm attaching pics of my computer imaging, tell me what u think! Thanks for stopping by...
Goodluck, please keep us posted !!!
Thank you!

2 days pre op!

So times winding down and I've been asked how do I feel? My mind is trying to think to into the future, like it's already a week post op. The idea of surgery and the risk of not liking my new nose creeps up bit I just yet to not think about. Like I'm at the point of no return, so I'm just walking g thru the fire now, so to speak...

I did want to give some more insight into what the doc will be doing...

He's going to use cartilage from my septum and also conchal ear cartilage. He'll then wrap that in fascia, taken from my scalp above my ear, hidden behind my hairline. I was very happy to know he wasn't going to use synthetic goretex to help build up my profile, but he prefers to only use my own body' matetials. It means more work for him as the surgeon but it seems to be the best term.

I feel weird about telling people...

I've only told my close family and friends that I'm getting surgery. And I've been kinda wondering how it will feel afterwards in terms of the folks I haven't told and if they'll wonder if I got work done on my face. I almost feel like I'll have to resist the urge to inform everyone I encounter that I got a nose job! Is that weird??
Did you have surgery today?
Yes I did, just posted some updates :-)

I did it!

So I made it to the other side!! And I feel great about my decision. I read how I should stay out of the mirror but I took a little peek while changing my gauze and I an quite pleased with what I could see! I love the way my nostrils look and I have very minimal swelling and no bruising, but we'll see how tomorrow looks!

My surgery took 4-5 hours and the hardest part was waking up. My anesthesiologist gave me too much I think. Took me about 2 hours to wake up and once I awoke, I felt horrible! I was nauseous and my body was sore. All I wanted to do was sleep! They released me to leave and wheelchaired me to the car but ended up taking me back to do vitals because I looked so bad.

I felt horrible until about 8 pm, when I got up because needed to urinate. Bent over and I started vomiting, which was the best!!! With each heave made me feel better and I saw why! My tummy had blood (from the tube they put down my throat, a popsicle (that they gave me when I first woke up because my mouth was sooooooo dry) and clear fluid. After that, it was as if I was new money!! I could eat (before I wanted to but I couldn't), regained my energy, and walked comfortably again!

Anyway, now I didn't feel that I had made a horrible decision about my nose!

Haven't taken any pain meds either. My ear hurts a little from the graft and my head is a little sore from where they took the fascia graft.

more pics - surgery day

Don't want to jump to conclusions too soon but I think my doctor is amazing! I love what I'm seeing already and I got a little taste earlier with breathing out of BOTH nostrils!

We'll see if anything changes in the days to come :-)
I think you piCked a great doctor and I am interested in following your story because you got your work done in Miami. You look amazing already, I can imagine how gorgeous after its fully healed.
Thanks so much, I would highly recommend Dr. Bared...He does many revisions and I feel that I have an overall stronger structure and more functional nose, not just more asthetically pleasing...He is highly trained and very caring :-)
Congratulation!! I'm happy its over for you. Your nose looks wonderful!

2 days post

Started to get more swelling and puffiness under my eyes. Cheeks are kinda stiff but I thought I'd be way more swollen than this. Dr. Bared is the bomb!
would love to see an updated picture!
Can you post an after photo?
How is your nose ?

still swollen

Getting used to my new nose and im still quite swollen i feel. Doc said it could take up to 2 yrs for all swelling to go down so im being patient. Its mostly in my tip and sides. Im still kinda impartial whether or not it was all really worth it. My deviated septum part of the surgery is still kinda in the air too. Was able to breathe out of both nostrils a few days after surgery but its been weeks since i could. Hopefully its just from the impending swelling inside. Whatcha think?
WOAH! you're healing so gracefully. I love the results. And I think your other features are really in balance with your new nose. I hope you love your results! I sure do and I'm so so so happy for you!
Thx for ur updated post!
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon