Facelift and Eyelids - Memphis, TN

This was the biggest mistake of my life, And the...

This was the biggest mistake of my life, And the painful thing I have ever been thru, The two little pill they give you to make you sleepy do nothing to stop the pain. you are wide awake and can feel everything going on. They told me most people sleep thru it, that's a lie. I heard a lady screaming ahead of me in pain and crying, but I just thought she was a light weight. I am one of those people that can take pain but nothing prepared me for the worst 5 hours of being operated on while wide awake and the dr could had cared less. I got my upper eye lids done ,when he left the room I picked up the mirror and I had a large peace of skin he didn't cut off . but all I wanted was out of there. I swelled up with enormous hematoma ,it look like I had large marbles under my skin , the next day I had to go back so they could drain all the blood and clots off .You think he would have give me something to ease the pain before pushing out the blood out , but nothing he was so rough and push as hard as he could ,I was screaming and crying for him to please stop, but he kept on like I was just a thing, I have never been treated so bad in my life. And would never recommend this to anyone. I will be honest if I would have had access to a gun I would had shot myself . No one should be made to suffer like that. They made me come in and leave thru the back door ,I was told not to use the front door. I didn't look up the reviews before hand but when I did I seen where staff had got in trouble for writing false reviews. The picture below is the good side.

I should have waited till my mine was clear and I wasn't on medication to post .

I am doing a lot better now and didn't understand the importance of keeping the compression wrap on . That led to a lot of my pain and swelling afterwards. Of coarse who thinks right when you are heavy medicated . As for the surgery itself, The first side of my face was pain free , but he did numb both sides of my face at the same time , Not sure if the first side took a little longer or what but by the time he got to the other side of face , I was starting to get feeling back in it. And it was to painful to have the job finished without numbing that side again. That being said we all know it takes a few minutes for that numbness to take affect after receiving the shots, I really feel that Dr Hall felt I wasn't going to fell a pain now . I just don't feel enough time was given for the other side of my face to become numb. Or things would have been just fine. After meeting with him today I felt so much better. Dr Hall assured me thing will only get better from here. The swelling over my eyes is gone down mostly but the fold over my eyes have come right back, But Dr Hall assured me the extra skin folds over my eyes would smooth out once all the swelling was gone . The best part he didn't brush me off on that, he said if your not happy they'll make fix it. Lets face it he if he didn't care he sure wouldn't say that. So I will have a new checkup in 6 weeks , I will update again and post picture.

Things aren't looking good

21 Days now and my swelling is gone ,my jowl's are returning once again and actually look worst on one side than it did to start with. My upper eye lids I am not at all happy with , the skin now lays on my eye lashes where as they didn't before especially on the left side. I just don't see how this is going to smooth out . I just don't see the skin tightening up as time go's by. It will be interesting to see what Dr Hall has to say on my 6 week checkup.

Don't waste your money , Its a rip off

It been 8 weeks, I didn't have sagging skin except a little under my chin .And I also woke up during surgery in so much pain he was still cutting at the time. I just couldn't take it. 6 weeks later everything went back the way it was. I'm sick over it and out . $ 8000
Memphis Facial Plastic Surgeon

I feel I owe Dr Hall a big apology over my review , After getting the chance to speak to him today I learn that he is indeed a very compassionate man . I just didn't see it at the time because he was focuses on his idea of what he needed to do . I do understand after thinking about things more clear now and not being on medications . I over reacted . And I was assured if I wasn't happy with the results they would be fix's so that I would be happy . Now you can not beat that !

Cheryl, I feel very badly for you. nothing about your surgery sounds (or looks) normal. I have had upper eyelid surgery twice- 10 years apart and both times I was awake but no pain at all. The bruising and swelling both times were for about a week but no serious discomfort. It was easy to see the improvement as soon as the swelling was gone and I had no scarring in the the lid crease either time. Your facelift procedure sounds even more terrible. I really think that you should consider filing a report against him (include pictures) with the medical board in your state because bad surgeons need to be reported to protect other patients. Plastic surgeons are supposed to be held to the highest standard of all doctors for their surgical skill level (visibly improved Results and practically invisible incisions when they are fully healed). I think it is important that you not be bullied to think that you did anything wrong. you hired and paid that surgeon in good faith. trust your instincts and try to not let your self esteem be affected which I know is very difficult. I would suggest that you see a few other well research and well qualified plastic surgeons who specialize in face lifts for consultations to get their professional opinion on your results and whether reconstruction is necessary. You can be fixed by the right surgeon so all hope is not lost and what you paid the first surgeon is a reasonable price for a normal facelift under general anesthesia. I cannot imagine why he did that extensive of a surgery without it unless he is restricted from using an anesthesiologist in any way such as that he is a dermatologist only and not a licensed plastic surgeon. Check into that. You can submit the other surgeons opinions and surgery quotes to the medial board or your local better business bureau requesting that the surgeon who hurt you be required to pay for your reconstruction work. Hugs and prayers!
It sounds like the anesthesia was inadequate; you shouldn't have had pain during the procedure; and like he didn't do a good job, if it isn't holding. It also sounds like when you go back for visits he tries to make you feel like it was your fault, and you apologize and back off; don't let him pressure you into that. Some of the surgeons can be good salesmen and good at talking people into things, but results speak for themselves. Good luck, and stick to your guns.
please excuse my smartphone voice activated text typos. My surgeon was Dr Joseph Mele. One of the best decisions I've made!!!! sure he may cost a bit more for the surgery center and general anesthesia. .. but well WORTH IT. ;)
I just had a facelift in Walnut Creek California buy a board certified plastic surgeon with excellent results. But of course I went under general anesthetic and was sleeping the whole time...I would never ever do a facelift with local anesthetic
I plan on getting a lawyer This is very much a rip off , My face has gone back to the way it was before Only after 8 weeks . That's $8000. lost and a memory I'll never forget and two weeks of lost work . Sure wish I would have done my home work. This is a rip off I had really thought it was going to be quick and easy with very little down time , That's a joke . Its painful
So sorry Cheryl... I send you all of my blessings... I hope you find your way.
Looks like it was a Lifestyle Lift .. he is listed under them. Write a letter to corporate. I feel so bad for you!! That's a good deal of money & time to lose! XOXOXO
I had a face lift when I was in my early 50's. I had no idea how painful it would be. The doctor had said that it wouldn't be very painful. He only gave me a few pain pills and they were not the strong stuff. Believe me, you need really strong pain medication after a face lift. I imagine the lifestyle lift is about the same from the pictures above. My surgeon was excellent and it turned out great. I'm 70 years old now and I still look much younger. Most people think I'm in my 50's. Mine was done over twenty years ago. They may have better techniques now. I had huge metal staples along my brow line, and from behind the ears to the nape of my neck, and there was no way to rest without awful (I mean mind number awful) pain. I had both of my children without any kind of pain medication. It was a breeze compared to the face lift. I can't say I'm sorry I had it done, but I do think doctors should understand how painful it can be. Maybe some people tolerate pain better than others. I thought I was a tough person, but If I should ever agree to it again, I would make them give me strong medication for pain before the surgery and enough to last for a couple of months. I'm not going to risk having the life style lift. I had saved up the money for it, but after reading these comments, there's no way I would consider it.
Well, I just had the LSL, and I am 11days out. Surely not what a lot of the negative posts have been. I didn't feel a thing, and I can honestly say that have had no pain!!!. I was able to manage discomfort with extra strength Tylenol. I have also used ice round the clock as well as of recent moist heat packs. Yes, I have and still do have swelling, but that is going down day by day ... I have to start massaging my scars tomorrow, but so far, this has been really okay... I would say, check out your surgeon's credentials. I had mine done in Dallas. I am positive my result will be worth it!
I was thinking about having this procedure done, but nothing you say now can undo the fear you instilled in me when you said the procedure was done while you were wide awake. That is barbaric. I wouldn't consider going through that, and your picture looked awful. Bless your heart, I can't imagine what you must have gone through.
21 later and my swelling has gone down and jowl's are returned one side looks worst than before I had the facelift . My upper eye lids was one thing I really wanted fixed get worst as time go's by ,the fold of skin actually lay on my eye lashes one side more than the other , where as they didn't before surgery .I really don't understand what's going on . I was thinking its only going to get better but now I am worried. Its going to interesting to see what the Dr Hall has to say on my 6 week checkup.
It almost seems like two different people wrote your posts. You start out by saying how it was the most awful experience and how uncaring the Dr. was, then all of a sudden, you're apologizing and saying maybe it wasn't so bad. You felt what you felt and by the photo you provided - if you were conscious during that...I can't even imagine. It almost seems as if someone asked/told you to retract your negative review. I certainly hope that wasn't the case. My heart goes out to you and I pray for quick healing. It is concerning that you did not do your research beforehand though - especially on a procedure such as this. I noticed your post while providing backup info for my friend, to try to dissuade her from going through with the Lifestyle Lift. The internet is loaded with negative, horrifying reviews from patients who suffered as you did. Best of luck.
My lifestyle lift was 8 years ago at age 58. My surgeon is a certified plastic surgeon whose specialty was reconstructive surgery on trauma patients, as well as a volunteer with SMILE. I lucked out with him ... he was very thorough when explaining the procedure, what to expect and the necessary steps I had to take to ensure proper healing. The compression bandage is crucial ... when I was healing, the incisions itched like crazy and I loosened the bandage and head strap and the area under my chin did not heal 'seamlessly' as it should - but that was my fault. My entire face was numbed when I had the surgery - I was awake and felt nothing ... I was surprised that there was practically no pain after the injections wore off - I'm told that is the sign of a good surgeon who knows what he's doing. 8 years ago, lower eye was not available - I would have had it if it was available. My lower face, neck and upper eye was $5,000. I've put on some weight since the surgery and I can see the 'jowl' area of my jaw line starting to get slack, but not enough to warrant another lift. If I were to have more cosmetic surgery, I would go to the same doctor - who is in private practice and no longer associated with Lifestyle Lift. First and foremost ... whenever considering any cosmetic surgery is check out the credentials and history of the doctor ... all plastic surgeons are NOT the same
Thank you for your input , I trust everyone that is a down fall of mine, I would just think anyone doing this kind of work must be qualified . I really didn't have a good understanding about the compression bandage how important it was. They really should have been more clear, not just say u got got to wear this. But the pain and pressure , swelling was so bad I had to get relief . I kept putting it back on . As long as I could stand it. You are so lucky and I am happy for you. I am hoping it was worth all the pain and lost of work , the lady up front Judy said it should last 10 years. I seen where it said it only takes about 1hour , But I was in there for lot longer than that , So it was no rush job for that I am happy . He may be my miracle Time will tell. Right now its been 15 days extra skin is back over my eyes as was before my sad face is also coming back ..I did expect it to relax somewhat after the swelling. Dr Hall told me that after all the swelling went down it would be right. But we will see in 6 weeks how it looks and will update. .
It took about 2 weeks before the bruising was nearly gone and about 2 months before all the swelling went down. I've heard that it can be as long as 3 months if there was a lot cutting and liposuction. Everyone heals differently.
Yes you are right but when I first posted I was in major pain, and traumatized because of waking up in during surgery do to the pain shot wearing off . I apologized because it is out of my character to fire off at someone or about anything. They didn't feel I felt any pain I am tough when it comes to pain but I was not prepared for what happen that day, I thought it was going to be a simple procedure with very little down time , I was wrong and really should have done my home work. The swelling is gone on my face but it still hurts, also my eyelids look worst than before my left eyelid lays on my eyelashes now and my jowl's are already back. I'm just sick over it.
Who is the surgeon that did your procedure and wher is he located?
I was thinking the same thing as I was reading the updates. I am a Perimedical Aesthetician researching the procedure for one of my clients who is thinking of getting this done. I will have to pass on the info and warnings to her.
Your doctor should have explained things better to you. Yes, maybe you should have done more research, but at the same time, it is your doctor and his staff that should have really prepared you. It sounds like they are just out to make the money that the procedure costs and couldn't care less once you signed on for this. They are the educators, it's their job. I hope it was all worth it though. Good luck to you and I guess lesson learned.
Yes your so right ,They should be the educator. I was not at all prepared for any of what happen, Its all more like hush hush , They didn't explain things like the process of the procedure ,After the procedure wasn't explain at all , I had was not told about how painful it would be , It was more so like its no big deal , And that was the most shocking part. Really all they wanted was my money, Its no lunch time lift and its painful. you just expect Doctors to care about you and what they do , that's why I didn't look to see if people where dissatisfied . There are so many negative people in the world that just complain about everything and I thought I'm just not looking. Will I should have .
Thank you for sharing your experience on RealSelf!
So much for lunch time lift eh? When do you get your stitches out Cheryl? How are you doing today? Any better? ~Hugs~
Thank you for asking , I am doing much better .But do think they should better inform people of how much pain is involved . A week later and I am still very bruised , with large lumps of swelling so I'm sure that will need to be drained . My fear of going back is awful for the draining of the lumps ,the Dr is not gentle at all . Its like he doesn't feel the pain so he don't care how rough he is. My one eye lid is looking worst the more it heals, He didn't cut them the same . And a big fold of skin was left .
Keep us posted, My eyes were cut very differently and healed with a lot of scarring. I do hope that you get better results that I did. Best, C