It's Amazing the Difference 2.5 Pounds Makes! - Memphis, TN

I started out at 220lbs. Over the past 2 years,...

I started out at 220lbs. Over the past 2 years, I've lost 45 pounds. They say that it takes losing 25 pounds for a woman to begin to lose weight and size in the breast. That never happened for me. I've also been dealing with serious back pain for the last 10-15 years. I could walk through the grocery store for 30 minutes and by the time I got back in the car, my lower back would hurt so bad, it was excruciating.

So, I started the process of getting my insurance company to pay for me to have a breast reduction. Dr. Eby's website was one of the first few that I looked at. There is an enormous amount of information there. That's why I chose her. And it was such a good decision. She and her staff are super friendly and knowledgeable. Dr. Eby was also flexible and willing to work with me in getting my surgery scheduled.

I'm almost 2 months post-surgery, and I feel great! I have no more back pain. No more neck pain. It's amazing what a difference 2 pounds makes.
I'd definitely go back to see Dr. Eby for anything else I wanted done.

Memphis Plastic Surgeon

Hi! I am new to RealSelf. I have been researching all the breast reduction stories on here and I figured I should join! I have a consultation scheduled with Dr. Eby this month! I guess one of my biggest concerns is the timing of recovery. I am getting married in October and would love to be as close to "completely healed" as possible. I am hoping to have the surgery in June or July. Do you have any comments about timing now that you are 4-5 months post-op? Thanks!
Hi! I still have some tenderness sometimes, but very little swelling. Scars are still visible, obviously. As far as the recovery time, I went back to work two weeks after my surgery, but I could have gone back after one week. Dr. Eby is going to suggest that you purchase some supplements. One is called Arnica. The other is Bromelain. They are pre-surgery supplements that help with bruising and swelling. The kit is $45, but I highly recommend getting it. The first time I noticed any bruising was when they had yellowed and mostly healed. Honestly, I had very little pain. I think I took 2 of my pain pills post-op. After that, the pain was manageable with Tylenol. It has been the best decision I've made in a long time. Good luck to you. You'll like Dr. Eby.
Thank you for your response! I knew someone 10 years ago that had this done by Dr. Eby and she still talks about how great the pre-surgery supplements were for her. I fully trust Dr. Eby without even meeting her just based on great reviews and professionalism. I am hoping to just take a week off from work if possible so I am glad to hear you felt good after a week. Do you by any chance remember (ballpark) how long of a process it was from the time you got your first consultation to the time of surgery (with doing everything you need to for insurance in between?) I'm trying to make a manageable plan for myself before I go see Dr. Eby in 2 weeks.
Have you had your pictures done by Dr. Eby's office yet? The total process for me was about 6 months. I went in March of 2012 and had pictures taken and filled out some forms for Dr. Eby's office to submit to my insurance for a pre-authorization. It was denied once. I think it was finally approved in July and my consultation with Dr. Eby was in mid-August. We set my surgery date that day for September 4th, 2012. I knew going into my consultation that I was having surgery, because everything was pre-approved. I should say that I work a desk job. I don't know type of work you do, but lifting anything over 5 pounds or so is not a good idea. You might feel like you can do it after a week, but don't.
Well, I called in January and asked about a consultation. They entered my information in the computer without even having met me and got back to me a few weeks later saying that my insurance may potentially cover so I can go ahead and schedule a consultation. They did tell me to go ahead and start going to see my PCP once a month to document my back/neck pain because they would need 3-6 months of medical records. I didn't realize there was a seperate appoinment for paperwork and pictures. I guess we will see. Thank you for the information. I will keep you updated after I meet with her! I am a speech pathologist in a private clinic. Although I work with children - I am sitting at a table doing work with them...no lifting or lots of walking around going on!

Welcome to RealSelf!

I am so happy for you!!   I experienced the same thing with my reduction.  Instant relief that I noticed in the recovery room.

Makes you feel like a totally new woman and that feels great.

Did you feel instant relief? I had 7lbs removed last week and I'm still hurting in my back. I lost nearly 60lbs before my surgery (still have another 45 to go), but I lost 7" in my bust with the first 60 and it helped my back some, but not nearly enough. I see so many people post that they had instant relief after surgery, but that hasn't been the case for me. Thanks for your review!