Laser (Fractional CO2 Smart Dot) Ruined my Skin at 26 Years Old. I Am Now 29 & It's Getting Worse :( - Melbourne, AU

Hi. 3 years ago I decided to undergo laser for...

Hi. 3 years ago I decided to undergo laser for some very mild acne scarring on my cheeks. My derm recommended this laser to me & I was told it had very little side effects. I trusted in my derm & decided to undergo a series of 3 treatments. They were 3 months apart & the last one I had was in April 2011. After my first treatment my scarring did look better. I could see the marks left behind from the laser but I was told this would go with time. After the second treatment I began to notice my skin was becoming a little "crepey" around my mouth when I smiled. At the time I thought it might have just been a little dry from the laser. I was so naive! I brought this up to my doctor & he said the best thing to do would be to have one final treatment. So, that is what I did. 1 month after the treatment I seriously began to notice a change in my skin. It became perpetually dry. My skin was crepey around my mouth & eyes. I had fine lines all over my face and little holes from the laser. I went back to my doctor and he said he still thought they small holes would go away. He suggested I have another treatment! He also suggested that at 26 I was starting to show signs of ageing! I left feeling very abandoned by someone that I trusted. I mean, I understand that it's more the laser's fault than his but he should at least acknowledge that something is wrong! Maybe try to help me find a solution!
So now 3 years on I see NO improvement. In fact, quite the opposite. My skin is still very dry. I still have the holes left by the laser. My skin is incredibly crepey. I have lines, lines, lines. Now though, the worst side effect for me is the fat loss. My cheeks are sunken. One side is much worse than the other so I have a very odd shaped face. When I smile I have additional laugh lines. My skin is "folding" in a strange way when I smile on the side that is more damaged. I think it's to do with the fat loss. I am completely miserable & I cannot bear photos of myself. I cannot bear looking in the mirror. I hate talking to people & smiling. I hate when I have to go out because I get extra depressed while getting ready, putting makeup on etc. I am only 29! I am so scared to see new doctors because I am afraid they will blame ageing for all of this! And to be honest I am not in the same position I was financially so it's not like I could have anything done at the moment anyway. I feel there is no hope & I am very nervous for how I will look in 5 years & so on. I would take the mild scarring over this any day! (I still have the scarring by the way). Has anybody had any luck improving their skin? Please comment & thank you for reading.

Pics soon...

I plan to take some pics in the next week or two.

Fat Loss. Laser. I am melting away :(

Here are some horrible photos of the fat loss I have suffered from the laser. I think it just keeps getting worse. I feel so ugly. I would do anything to have the skin I used to have. My face used to be very full & I had nice cheeks. Now I am hollow. This is 3 years out. You can also see how bad the texture is. The sad thing is, I am actually wearing foundation. These pics are to detail the fat loss, I will show no makeup ones soon.

Forgot to mention...

Kinda annoying you can't edit your posts >.<
On the left side of my pics (my right side) the fat loss is worse. My face halves are so uneven. My chin is uneven. It looks like my cheeks were hollowed out with an ice-cream scoop :(
When I smile my face looks distorted. I can't smile the same way. I have the strangest folds & bunching. Pics of that to come soon. I really hate having to put these ugly pics out there but I am losing hope. I need help & hopefully something can fix this!?
Greg Goodman

Last thought - could it be general weight loss after having your baby? I recently gained...and then lost weight and hate how it's made my face fall/deflate somewhat..
Another thought. I read Fraxel's side effects are severe dehydration of the skin. Maybe it's the severe water/moisture loss causing your skin to fall/deflate more....and not fat loss. Perhaps consider going on a water binge for a month. 3-4 liters per day. (Not too much, can be lethal of course)
I'm so sorry for your experience. Can you post some "before" photos so we can see the changes you see? Can't tell from your after photos. If your main concern is fat loss, fillers may be an option for you. You should post for the experts to comments.
I just wanted to chime in that I think your skin still looks great. I haven't seen a "before" photo, but to the casual observer you still have pretty skin. It's not as smooth as a doll's face, but very few people have that, and it looks pretty close to me. Your face doesn't look too hollow or lopsided to me either. Just looks like you have high cheekbones. I don't mean to diminish what you see, and you obviously know your face best. I just really hope you don't beat yourself up over this too much because many people would be thrilled to have your skin. Also, keep in mind that in your late twenties, your skin would have started to change regardless. So a little bit of what may seem like progressive damage to you, may just be getting a few years older. Good luck to you, and congratulations on the new baby!
Also, biafine is good for your skin, so it will not harm it. It helps the desquamation process and also is known to help with collagen.
Hey I too have some issues with my skin texture.. Open pores , roughness and all dat. And it happened all of a sudden. My skin became so oily and before I knew I had open pores all over my face.. And it did not happen coz of any skin treatment. It was all hormonal , I guess. The thing is, I have been using 'clinique instant pore perfectit's and it helps my skin texture look so improved in an instant , temporarily though.It is quite the relief. U could give it a try by the time u figure out a permanent solution to your problem. Take care
Hey, I had 3 fraxel laser treatments done . The side effects sound similar to what I experienced after my treatment. I had sever dry skin and moisturizers would not help. I started to use a serum and better quality skin care products and have seen a huge improvement . Drugstore skin care products like cetaphil and neotrogena use low quality ingredients that damage our delicate skin. I also was told to use aquaphor after treatment but over time this junk suffocates the pores and your skin can't heal properly. Our skin is not dry but dehydrated huge difference. Dehydrated skin can't heal and causes many problems. I stoped using ceta phil, this junk has low quality ingredients that can't heal our type of skin. I use renne rouleau skin drink serum and seen a big difference. Remember dehydrated skin can not heal avoid junk ingredients and hydrated your skin to see great results.
I break out bad from aquafor which defeats the purpose of the laser. I used Biafine Topical Emulsion which is used for things such as post laser and burns plus it is non-comedogenic. It helped my skin heal a lot! Note: I used aquafor for the first 3 days only then switched to biafine. I am a medical Esthetician and had to do the research myself. Doctors are not too familiar with this product although it is an rx cream. I purchased mine on amazon for 50 dollars for a huge tube!
Thanks Ralph, I am happy you have had some success :) I really feel that my skin has been so badly damaged it's going to take something a lot more drastic. I am 3.5 years out and it's just awful. I probably should have used something much earlier but I just had no idea what to do. I am thinking about washing with raw honey & using emu oil which I have not tried. I read some good things about following that regime elsewhere on the site. I do feel pretty awful about using emu oil though :/
Do you think it is worth using 3.5 years out Macgyver?
I absolutely love emu oil! My plastic surgeon gave me some to use after laser treatments on my belly. A small bottle lasts forever and it feels great on my skin. I use it everyday.
Yes, I am getting it sept 5 in my cheeks and in my small marionette lines. I am 41 but I have loss of volume also. 35 unfortunately is when this starts..also your teeth( bottom) start to move forward this also causes for volume loss!
hi..
Hi Feelingsad Facial exercises that use resistance training to build muscles work to make up for lost fat. Usually needed after 40, but you could use some now perhaps?
Hi InnerBeauty, I would absolutely be willing to try! I just found out I am pregnant again so I can't try anything invasive for a while. I will try this! Do you know of where I can find some good examples? Ty for your comment x
I've used Flexeffect - very thorough if you have the time and the kind of 'quicker' version called Ageless if you Dare. Both seem to be doing the job - you use your hands to give resistance, then really work those muscles. I wish you the very best of luck!
Thank you so much Innerbeauty! I will try these soon x
I think you are beautiful. My skin never looked that pretty when I was 29 - I'm 42 now. Count the blessings you have - like your sweet baby and let time take care of the rest. : ).
Jan40 you are so sweet :) It is very hard to feel beautiful with my skin in this state but thank you for your kind words xx
Hi, I think you are beautiful! I do understand your pain. I am an acne scar sufferer myself. I have had co2, fraxel repair and scar revision that needed in suture granuloma( spitting stitches)! My recommendation to you is since the fat loss bothers you most..try a filler such as Juvaderm voluma. It lasts up to 2 yrs and is much less expensive than laser txtx. Maybe by filling out the face it will also help with the appearance of the holes in your skin. I am not an MD but I feel after all I have gone thru I know a bit! Good luck..hold that pretty face up high..you are beautiful!
Thank you for your sweet comment & advice. I somehow missed it & just saw it now! I plan to try something such as Juvaderm soon. After baby! Hehe. Gives me time to research :)
Hi feelingsad, from your photos I could tell that you still look good, my skin is even worse. I had filler injected by Dr. Goodman 3 months ago and now I am about to see him again to do the fraxel to treat my acne scars and I did some research on the internet and found your review, thanks so much for your information, I'll think twice before making the decision... People here tend to talk more about the benefits rather than the side effects which is a sad things for us.
Hi Kim, Thank you for saying that but I just feel horrible! I don't recommend having the laser. I am not saying you will have the same results but I would do ANYTHING to have the skin I had before I did lasers :(
Thank you Eva G you are so kind and made me little brave will be fix I pray everyday guys my texture come smooths azelex cream 300$ real one your doctor has to be Presription azelex cream 20% good luck
I think you may have lost a lot of weight and that maybe you need to talk to a nutritional therapist.