Avitcid - Tretinoin Cream 0,025% Ruined my Face - "Bee" - Finland

I was 31 when I noticed my skin getting a bit more...

I was 31 when I noticed my skin getting a bit more dry in the winter time than usual. I guess I was overreacting and started to search a good anti age treatment over the internet.

I ended up doing a micro needling session 3 times. Doctor did it with 1,5mm needless. Afterward the doctor recommended the best antiage cream there was on market. I wanted to know what it was and could there be any harm for me. He told me that there could not be any harm, like he told me about the microneedling sessions as well. I thought he knew what he was talking about and trusted him.

I t ended up being my worst nightmare. Avicid is meant for people who have thick skin and have ackne. I had silky smooth, thin skin that was at the time a bit dry. I ended having prematurely aged skin, sunspots and extremely dry skin. The surface of the skin does not work anymore like skin is supposed to. I get cystic pimples that hurt etc.
I have suffered soon over 3 years about this and my skin has not recovered. I used to look at least 6 years younger, now I look over 10 years older. I got a depression out of this. I'm really sad that there are that kind of doctors who really dont know what they are doing and they can ruin persons life. They dont care, as long as they get patients and paid. That is sick.
Tomi Leivo

Sorry to hear about your situation. I'm sure there are many excellent dermatologists in your neighbouring Sweden. If you do some research you could arrange something. I'm sure you will successfully solve your problem, because you are very young, and your skin will respond to treatment. Maybe they will recommend laser treatment.
Dear Finnish, I feel your pain and decided to write this letter only from my own experience. I am not an expert but have been confused on how to treat my skin until recently. Your cystic acne problem and very sensitive skin sounds like my family problem. Our Dad gave us the gene unfortunately. I'm 46 years old now and have tried lots of things on the market and all the products I could possibly get my hands on because I could afford it…thank goodness. Not all of them worked well on me but I realized something else that worked. Food, stress and lifestyle (including products usage) aggravated my skin problem until I reorganized my lifestyle. I avoid stress by exercising and doing yoga. I see a good estetician to extract my cystic pimples when they occur so I don't spread the germs around and worsen my acne problems. And the best part about sensitive skin is that 'less is more'. …it's true for me at least. Sensitive skin needs to be left alone sometimes to avoid irritation. My favorite products have been the over the counter products like Cetaphil. Also, the laundry detergent and body soap have to be for sensitive skin as well….and less is better for my skin and my two daughters. Good Luck and all the best to you. I will not be writing again since I have very little time to do this. P
Avitcid is not necessarily for acne at all. As you said in your title, Avitcid is a drug in Finland with tretinoin as its active ingredient. In the US, it's better known under the brand names Renova and Retin-A. It IS used to treat acne, but it is ALSO excellent for both aging prevention and aging correction. Tretinoin is a retinoid (related to vitamin A), and they ARE the best anti-aging creams on the market. This cream is one of the only products that can actually smooth out existing wrinkles. It works by sloughing off the top layer of dead skin cells (causing peeling, flaking, and dryness), increasing blood flow (redness), and promoting collagen production (the protein that accounts for skin elasticity) . Tretinoin also causes very high cell turnover, so the sebum and dirt stuck deep in pores will rise to the surface of the skin quickly, causing worse acne for some people, but also allowing new, more elastic skin cells with more collagen to come to the surface. After the skin gets used to it, which could take anywhere from a few days to several months, patients' skin doesn't just look significantly younger and clearer: it IS younger and clearer. Could you describe how you used it? Here are some tips: a) don’t use too much, as you’re supposed to use only a pea sized amount for your entire face b) don’t use it too frequently, as you should start out with 3 times a week or at most every other day, waiting until the skin has adjusted before using it daily c) tretinoin degrades when exposed to UV rays so it should be applied at night d) use a good sunscreen, as tretinoin also causes the skin to be more sensitive to UV rays If you did all of the above, maybe your skin had not adjusted to it yet (for some people it can take 6 months to really see results) or you are one of the very few who is allergic to tretinoin. Did you begin using the cream the same day of or soon after a microneedling session? If so, perhaps they are related? If tretinoin penetrates the skin too quickly it can cause a severe version of what normally happens (that is, the uncomfortable adjustment period). Like I said, your doctor was correct about tretinoin being the best anti-aging cream out there, but if he gave it to you immediately after microneedling with no warnings or instructions then I would question his licensure as a doctor, although “not caring as long as he gets paid” might be a jump. Have you seen any other dermatologists for these issues? What are their opinions? I do hope your skin improves. In fact, if you are not one of the few allergic to tretinoin, using it or a similar retinoid properly would very likely improve if not revert your skin to its previous state. Disclaimer: I am not a dermatologist, or even a doctor, but I am now 41 and have been using Retin-A for ten years. People think I’m in my mid twenties. Best of luck.
I used it only a pea size amount during night. Maximum of 3 nights a week. I did do less than that even and only with the 0,025%. The doctor recommended me to stay off it 1-2 weeks after the microneedling. I had 1 month off, because my skin is sensitive. My skin never went on stage where all dirt came out of it. It just dried. After 3 years the dryness is still present. Tretinoin is somekind of acid and from my experience of view it alteres the way skin is and works. My pores do not produce it's own oils that much anymore. I get cystic pimples somewhere under the skin layers. Those are not easy. (My face is very sensitive, pimple spots do not heal, I got sunspots, sagging skin, somehow weird puffiness etc.) I never had any real skin problems before I used tretinoin. Now I have. I do not look like my self from the face anymore. There is a huge difference what my face looks like and how my body looks like. Face looks like someone with alcohol/drug problem and body looks like healthy and could go from some one in their 20s I have tought of going back to Tretinoin, but I have investigated trough the internet that it just does not work for everyone. There are many people with this same problem that I have. I would really like to see some true before and after pictures about peoples faces using tretinoin. Most of them are with acne face. Those pics are good. And have seen some with old persons face and those are not really suitable to look at this age. I think the ones who prescribe and manufacture these creams shold have multiple pictures from years and years how this stuff works in different skins. And the packages shold have severe warnings as well for the ones who have thin skin. It can ruin persons life when a cream ruins their face. Many people have asked me what has happenned to me because I look so different. I never say someone is ugly, but I must say that nowdays I am, because of what tretinoin and mabe microneedling did to my face. I really need a facial plastic surgery to tighten my skin back to normal. I never tought I would concider a plastic surgery before this, but now I do to get my face back to my own age and me. Quite sad...
Thank you for your kind suggestions Tarakeet. Hope there is something that can be done. I went to some skin specialist when I had some red marks on my face from the cystic pimples. She gave me acne package to start with even I tried to explane her that my skin is extremely dry etc about the situation what has hapenned. Well my skin ended up drying and stigle with her directions even more. The product leaflet says it does that with Excuviance products at first. Well I really could not use the stuff she told me to more than a week and a half. I have another appointment in 2 weeks, I dont know weather I go or not. I allso am planning to see some skin doctors. I am a bit afraid of them, because not all are good here. One lady just told me that she had run 20 years to skin doctors in Finland and never got help to her skin issue. Just got different creams that just harmed her skin. Then she went to India and she got this rash again. She went to pharmacy there where the pharmacist looked at her and tought awhile. She got somekind of treatment and the rash never came back.
Tretinoin is an acidic form of vitamin A. Basically it is a vitamin A molecule with a carboxyl group (carbon with oxygen and hydroxyl attached) on the end. It does not really alter how the skin works, it just speeds up the natural skin process by a lot. It sounds like you used it correctly and your skin just did not get along with it. That is very rare, most people do suffer from varying degrees of adverse effects at first, but in almost all cases they will improve after continued use. I'm really sorry that it did not work out for you, maybe a different retinoid would work though. Best of luck!
Wait, so when you say "skin doctors" you mean dermatologists, right? Was the doctor doing the microneedling and prescribing you tretinoin not a dermatologist then? Anyway, update us if you learn any new info or have any improvement. I wish I knew more so I could help.
Thank you for your messages. Hope some improvement will be present after I find some good dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon. Sorry about my english, by "skin doctor" I do mean dermatologist. You mentioned that maybe different retinoid would work. The beautician I met couple of weeks ago and recommended Excuviance products to me. She recommended me also cream called Evening restorative complex that has Retinyl (Vitamin A) in it. My sister has used that cream and her skin is beautufully smooth still. Maybe I try using that and see the beautician again in 2 weeks meanwhile I try to find some solution for the sagging skin. During this skin disaster I have allso doubted weather I have all the vitamins and trace elements ok in my diet/blood because skin has not healed. The blood tests prove that they are ok. I have allso posted a question on this website about what kind of face lift the doctors here would recommend for me. I think it has not been yet published. Hopefully it will be published and someone will give me some good advice. I really am willing to travel thousands of miles and pay thousands if I can get this skin nightmare solved out soon. I would be willing to give all of my savings away if I just would get my normal face back. At least there is still hope... hope this summer I will find someone special professional who can help me. Getting old and wrinkled is ok for me, but getting old prematurely because of some treatment/cream is not ok for me... I wish I had never ever felt that i needed some improvement on my skin. These past years would have been very happy... well hope the next ones are :)
My question has been published. http://www.realself.com/question/finland-fi-my-loose-facial-skin-tightened-somekind-facelift-method Can you believe that other people tought earlier that that person in the pictures shold do modelling because they felt she was beautiful. I tought I was ok then, but not m type, but now I feel sick when I look at those pictures how my face looks nowdays. My close family try to say to me that I look younger than my age (34) to make me feel better and people around me say that I have not aged. When I look at the difference in the pictures I wonder why people lie. Why they say me things like that even the pictures tell more than 1000 words. They I guess see old me when they look at me... somekind of self defence I quess.
Avitcid is not meant for people for thick skin, and not necessarily for acne either. As you said in your title, Avitcid is a drug in Finland with tretinoin as its active ingredient. In the US, it's better known under the brand names Renova and Retin-A. It IS used to treat acne, but it is ALSO excellent for both aging prevention and aging correction. Tretinoin is a retinoid (related to vitamin A), and they ARE the best anti-aging creams on the market. This cream is one of the only products that can actually smooth out existing wrinkles. It works by sloughing off the top layer of dead skin cells (causing peeling, flaking, and dryness), increasing blood flow (redness), and promoting collagen production (the protein that accounts for skin elasticity) . Tretinoin also causes very high cell turnover, so the sebum and dirt stuck deep in pores will rise to the surface of the skin quickly, causing worse acne for some people, but also allowing new, more elastic skin cells with more collagen to come to the surface. After the skin gets used to it, which could take anywhere from a few days to several months, patients' skin doesn't just look significantly younger and clearer: it IS younger and clearer. I am almost certain that you a) used too much, as you’re supposed to use only a pea sized amount for your entire face, b) used it too frequently, as you should start out with 3 times a week or at most every other day, waiting until the skin has adjusted before using it daily, c) used it at the wrong time, as tretinoin degrades when exposed to UV rays so it should be applied at night, d) didn’t use sunscreen, as tretinoin also causes the skin to be more sensitive to UV rays, e) got a bad batch, which I doubt because medications are generally very heavily regulated and tested before being sold, but I don’t know how those operations work in Finland, or f) are in the very, very small population of people who are allergic to tretinoin. Did you begin using the tretinoin cream the same day of or soon after a microneedling session? If so, perhaps they are related? If tretinoin penetrates the skin too quickly it can cause a severe version of what normally happens (that is, the uncomfortable adjustment period). Like I said, your doctor was correct about tretinoin being the best anti-aging cream out there, but if he gave it to you immediately after microneedling with no warnings or instructions then I would question his licensure as a doctor, although “not caring as long as he gets paid” might be a jump. Did you try to see him afterwards to figure out the problem? I would find it odd if you did and he did not attempt to correct the issues. Forgive me if I came off rude, but many people try tretinoin creams, find their skin in worse condition than before, and quit before their skin has a chance to adjust to it. I am not saying that is what you did, but I think it is a possibility based on the limited info in your post. I do hope your skin improves. In fact, if you are not one of the very few allergic to tretinoin, using it or a similar retinoid properly would very likely improve if not revert your skin to its previous state. Best of luck.
I did not try to see the doctor/dermatologist afterwards, because I did not trust him anymore. He must have known not all can tolerate the treatments/cream, because he must know those things before he can prescribe those to anyone. I looked up from the internet what people in same situation did. Some of them where recommended some other skin treatments that made situation worse. Some where told that they do not see any problem in the skin. I kind of tought that if I just wait and excersize and eat well that skin will heal itself, like it usually does. But it just did not. I tried using some sensitive skin products for my skin. And did try Dermalogica products as well. Most of the products do irritate my skin after the damage.
I am so sorry to hear that you are so unhappy with your skin. How long did you use Avicid for?
I only used it for 3 months. I was too scared to move to the heavier cream 0,05% the doctor prescribed me allso. He told me that the skin will get worse at first and later it will recover when it gets used to the cream. My skin never got used to the cream even I was using as he told me to use it.