Expressions Injectable Filler -Massachusetts, MA

I was offered Expressions Brand face filler at a...

I was offered Expressions Brand face filler at a reduced rate on this day only after the date it would be double the price. I went to get my top lip filled in very conservatively, my goal was to inflate it slightly to fill in some fine lines above my top lip. While I was there she said oh try this under your eyes you will love it, it will fill in any sunken areas, I was a little nervous but was talked into it. I specifically told the nurse that I had to work and did not want my children to know about the injections she assured me that there would be slight swelling nothing more. She told me to go home and ice. I did just that, When I woke up the next morning I looked in the mirror and almost had a heart attack, My face was so swollen I was not recognizable. I called the injector she assured me it will go down I must just swell more than others. The next morning I woke up my face was so swollen my eyes were shut from the swelling. I called panicked again to the injector and told her that I needed to go to the emergency room. She asked me to go with her to her surgeon office instead he could handle the situation better for me. I agreed when we arrived they couldn't believe what I looked like. He said you must just swell more than others and put me on a Steroid. Before I left they took several Pictures they said to show the sales rep for the product. The following evening I received a phone call from the Dr. he asked if the swelling is getting better? I told him that I still look like a freak but it has gone down some. He explained that the steroid would bring it back to normal. It has now been the 6th day since my injection and most of the swelling has gone down, But now I am left with a lump under my right eye that looks like a worm is sitting beneath the skin. It is hard and feels like it must be the filler that was injected. I texted the injector to tell her what was going on. She told me I could schedule an appointment to have another product injected into my face to dissolve the product that they originally injected. I was mortified, couldn't believe her response she said well it is an option. Still waiting to hear if I have to pay for that as well. I am nervous to do any thing to my face now. I am 53 yrs. old and was pretty happy with how I looked especially for my age. I would not wish for this to happen to anyone else I missed all week of work plus paid for a horrible experience and stuck with a face I don't like.

Update

I texted the injector because she never called me as she said she would once she talked with the Dr. regarding if I would be charged for the dissolving of the injected product. She told me via text that the Dr feels everything will go back to normal, and if I have any further concerns to contact his office directly

sad what happened with you, I'm now scared to go for filler injections.. my plan was to get injected on my left cheekbone which is slight lower than my right cheekbone that makes my right eye socket higher( and so my right eye is higher than my left eye)... just wanted to know if there is any possibilities to even out my both cheekbones like my right side which is higher so that my eyes will look horizontally even , please reply, I wanna become a model and so I need symmetrical face which is less noted as asymmetrical and will my bone structure will change as I grow up ?? I'm 23 male with 6'2 height
I think as long as u go to board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon, with referrals if possible, the new juvederm Voluma XC will help you very much. I had some injections (3) a week's ago n Dr wanted me to see right away the difference of how it filled out my older flatter cheeks n I was very happy. I go back next week n I'll get one more but don't think I'll have money for anymore? But I'm happy n it lasts up to 2 years. Good luck
i want my left cheekbone to be higher like my right one's, for that I need it, I already have tight skin cos I'm skinny and wanna go for fashion modeling, so I need my left eye in same level like my right eye (btw my right eye is higher than my left eye) !!!
Voluma is a very specialized filler and should not be used freely. Unfortunately the marketing vibe allows anybody and everybody to jump on the 2 year bandwagon. Things can go horribly wrong if someone inexperienced is injecting. Injectables are not to be taken lightly-I am appalled to see groupons for injectables. I cannot remember how many patients I had to fix that had gone to someone discounting injectables via groupon or some other discount avenue. I know everyone has a budget , but buyer beware!!!
The idea that Hyaluronidase can fix everything is WRONG. I had 6 injections to no avail and because of the infection I had I now have to surgically remove it. My doctor didn't listen when I said something was wrong and by the time he took notice after sending more and more photos he conferred with a dermatologist to finally put me on antibiotics. It was too late, the granuloma couldn't be dissolved mad now look where I have ended up, in the operating room! My doctor that wouldn't listen also had never heard of this and was left alone to figure it out. It has been one go the most traumatic experiences of my life and no doctor, even a plastic surgeon should not inject anything if he does not know how to deal with complications!!
Have you found a doctor willing to cut out the filler? I haven't been able to find one.
I did find a wonderful doctor and the problem for me is that I have to get rid of the infection before surgery. It is a catch 22, I have the infection because of the granuloma but it is not ideal to have my eye opened up and flare up again. Honestly, there isn't a day that goes by where I don't want to scream at the doctor that put this in and wouldn't listen to me when I said there was a problem. I hope you are doing better!
I had Voluma injected in the cheeks* (It's the same brand as Juvederm but is more thick) and yeah, it's not to be filled in the tear trough area for two reasons 1.) that again, it's too thick a product and you can see it under the thin skin and 1.) that Voluma in particular draws in a lot of water to that area which makes it that much fuller, or when it's over injected, "poufy". Also, in your case, I think the technique that was used was very poor. It's hard to tell bc you're so swollen, but it looks like she missed the part of your eyes that needed it completely and rather went all around the eyes, rather than the in the crevice. The good news is that you can inject it, even the granuloma, with hyaluronodaise which should take the product out within the week (you can see results within 1). I wouldn't go back to the same place only bc a more qualified doctor can immediately where it needs to be injected and injecting this product shouldn't be that expensive. *I didn't like it either bc the product has a tendency to migrate upwards and some product actually settled in my eye area and I had to inject it with hyaluronodaise. I was also told that massaging the product can help break it down quicker. Good luck, you're still a beautiful woman and with a little more patience you can get this ressolved and have it be behind you :)
This is the letter I just wrote to People Magazine: I had Restylane and a new product called Voluma which are facial fillers. I did not initially go in for Voluma but my doctor said it was great because it lasted 2 years. This was in February of this year and never imagined I would be one of those photos where everything went wrong. My doctor didn't know what to do and told me I should find someone who did. I was not informed of any biofilm infections or complications such as granulomas which are resistant to the normal dissolvents used and antibiotics and never signed a waiver. I had a bad reaction that night and sent photos to my doctor who assured me there was nothing to worry about. I subsequently developed a biofilm infection with a granuloma that he didn’t address when I asked specifically about these issues. Doctors need to listen to their patients and not minimize their concerns. If they don’t know how to deal with adverse reactions, they shouldn’t be injecting these products. It is a very frightening experience but not having your doctor there when things go wrong, makes it unbearable. After I posted a review in yelp, his wife started writing slanderous comments on Facebook and wouldn’t stop until I blocked her. Needless to say, it is unethical and unprofessional to allow this and speaks volumes about the doctor. It is impossible to find a law firm that will take on a medical malpractice suit if the damages aren’t in the millions and a class action suit against a company isn’t any easier. The coupons the companies offer to doctors to push the products don’t come with instructions for complications. There are more and more problems with using these fillers and are not FDA approved for injecting in this area. Publishing a story on this would help alert the public to think twice before injecting anything and might force the companies to advise against injecting these fillers in the tear trough area. I am no better now than 6 weeks ago and I also look like I have a worm sitting under my eye with a large area that is very red. I have been on antibiotics for 3 weeks and am still the same. I am going to look into having it removed surgically since I don't want to wait months and months, if not years.
Sorry to hear your experience. It might be helpful to share some photos aswell for others who may have had a similar reaction. I am so sorry that you have had such a bad reaction. I had volbella in my tear troughs and voluma in the cheek area and it was fantastic, but my doctor has trained for years in these very practices and is very trustworthy, knowing what to do if something goes wrong. I think that there should be very stringent rules for people practicing, who DO NOT know what to do when something goes wrong. They need to be held accountable and I can only imagine the knock it has had on your confidence etc aswell as your purse! Please keep us posted and gentle hugs to you. I am trusting things will be resolved for you.
I have posted quite a few photos if you look under my review for Dr. Leslie H. Stevens who is a board certified plastic surgeon in Beverly Hills. I had used him before but I do feel there are too many doctors who don't seem to know how to treat this besides trying to dissolve it which he said not to when I asked. Thank you for your kind words and have posted a lot of comments under my review for Voluma.
Thankyou so much for your reply. I will have a look on your review. Take care.
Hi. I did voluma in the upper cheeks today but I am having swelling and bruising under one eye. Do you think that some thing went wrong?
I have never had Voluma but I did get other filler in my checks and lines around my mouth. It is normal to have some swelling and bruising for a few days. I did have bruising for about a week though. How do you like the results so far?
Probably not, that's pretty normal do what Dr told u with ice or meds. On tylenol products 2 weeks before n up to that afterwards.
Probably not, sounds normal just a little unlucky. Do what Dr told you if anything? with ice n meds. Only tylenol products 2 weeks before n a week after. I go 21st of this Month can't wait really.
Today my swelling is more. The bruise is redish also. I am putting lot of ice. Hopefully it won't take too long
I think the swelling will start to go down but the bruise will have to take its course. Keep icing lightly not go move the gel out of place n use cover up on bruise. I'm not a professional just someone who's been thru alot of & with injection s over the last 8 years. I hope it's better very soon for you! ;)
Where are all you complainers going ? To a Vet or a nurse that couldn't take the stress of what real nurses do? Do your research, all of these high end products are safe to use, properly. Save up more money for another week or 3 if you have to and go to a certified Plastic surgeon. It's your Face! These 'nurses' or 'injectors' are taking a weekend corse on how to use the product and then offer a cheap deal. Think about that, would you let a friend with a weekend corse in dentistry pull a few teeth out for you?
Good Advice Dr Rob But they have to be working under a doctor like yourself who also benefit financially for their work as nurse injectors
I got restylane, and I was bruised at each injection site and swollen until day 10... I would make a determination after your face adjusts to it. What is it called? I think my est. went too deep and then spread it out too much and it hardly looks like anything was done...thank you 1,500.00 later.
BTW ladies, not every person has a bad reaction like this so when you do it you are taking your chances! I had desport (its like botox) and got body weakness and bloody urine! Its al a gamble keep that in mind!
You are so right. Unfortunately i'm one of the 2% botox & desport doesn't work on.. and each of the two different drs even redid it free second time. After thoughts were that I swore it effected my knees n some joints for weeks but not too bad.
I had a terrible reaction to juvaderm! My eyes swelled like giant water bubbles but it was about 8 months later as it dissolved in my face. They injected the antidote and it went away in 30 seconds!
Wow that's scary, thanks for sharing. They should not charge you that's pretty awful.