Expressions Injectable Filler -Massachusetts, MA

I was offered Expressions Brand face filler at a...

I was offered Expressions Brand face filler at a reduced rate on this day only after the date it would be double the price. I went to get my top lip filled in very conservatively, my goal was to inflate it slightly to fill in some fine lines above my top lip. While I was there she said oh try this under your eyes you will love it, it will fill in any sunken areas, I was a little nervous but was talked into it. I specifically told the nurse that I had to work and did not want my children to know about the injections she assured me that there would be slight swelling nothing more. She told me to go home and ice. I did just that, When I woke up the next morning I looked in the mirror and almost had a heart attack, My face was so swollen I was not recognizable. I called the injector she assured me it will go down I must just swell more than others. The next morning I woke up my face was so swollen my eyes were shut from the swelling. I called panicked again to the injector and told her that I needed to go to the emergency room. She asked me to go with her to her surgeon office instead he could handle the situation better for me. I agreed when we arrived they couldn't believe what I looked like. He said you must just swell more than others and put me on a Steroid. Before I left they took several Pictures they said to show the sales rep for the product. The following evening I received a phone call from the Dr. he asked if the swelling is getting better? I told him that I still look like a freak but it has gone down some. He explained that the steroid would bring it back to normal. It has now been the 6th day since my injection and most of the swelling has gone down, But now I am left with a lump under my right eye that looks like a worm is sitting beneath the skin. It is hard and feels like it must be the filler that was injected. I texted the injector to tell her what was going on. She told me I could schedule an appointment to have another product injected into my face to dissolve the product that they originally injected. I was mortified, couldn't believe her response she said well it is an option. Still waiting to hear if I have to pay for that as well. I am nervous to do any thing to my face now. I am 53 yrs. old and was pretty happy with how I looked especially for my age. I would not wish for this to happen to anyone else I missed all week of work plus paid for a horrible experience and stuck with a face I don't like.

Update

I texted the injector because she never called me as she said she would once she talked with the Dr. regarding if I would be charged for the dissolving of the injected product. She told me via text that the Dr feels everything will go back to normal, and if I have any further concerns to contact his office directly

It really sounds exactly like what happened to me word for word n pic by pic. I think that office used juveni on you with is despicable! You can have the Dr loose is licence.
HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER
Hey. Please contact the fda and file a complaint. Also contact the maker of the injectable ( Google it) and file a complaint. Finally, contact your states health board and file a complaint. Most people that experience such adverse outcomes do not realize this is an option. At the very least, they should refund your money. I've never heard of that type of filler. When you contact these agencies, you let them know there is a problem. Don't just brush this off. Every patient is different, but this is far beyond the norm. They are dodging you because they are worried for themselves.
Ginav - Are things any better? Please let us know you're OK… Wishing you well. DH.
Wow it looks really bad :( what kind of filler did you get? I have done Juvederm and I LOVE it It looks so god I think it all depends on wich Clinic you go to and what products they use Dont Ever buy fillers cheap because your face Will pay the price Chose a Clinic with Good reputation :) Love Maria
Oh my this is frightening and this makes me fearful of having any fillers injected under my eyes area. I have been looking forward to getting filler under my eyes to correct some sunken areas. This scares me and makes me want to cancel my appointment this next week. I am scheduled with a RN who specializes in fillers for the face. I am now thinking I need to cancel.
Do a teeny weeny little bit and if you like it after a few days, go back and do more. Where are you getting it done? Which part of face?
Do not go to an RN or anyone else for any type of injections. Only a dermatologist or plastic surgeon should be doing them. And stay away from medi spas.
Ginav would not be the first person to suffer from a reaction to a 'foreign substance' being injected into her face. Some fillers are marketed without FDA approval and even those that are approved do not guarantee to be suitable for everyone. I am surprised that practitioners are not obliged to carry out allergy tests of one kind or another prior to carrying out the procedure, just to rule out the possibility of a reaction to the substance. It is unacceptable for Practitioners to be so casual in their treatment of clients and leave them high and dry when they are vulnerable and need their help.
Yes no med spas!! I learned that the hard way.
Not sure I understand, because you cannot legally inject someone with a product that is not FDA approved. Doctors cannot legally import products sold over seas because they are not FDA approved. Even importing foreign versions of the same product is illegal.
Very sorry this happened to you. Have things calmed down? As the previous poster noted, I also wonder if this is genuine product. You should get a copy of your medical records and verify the LOT / batch numbers with the company. Good luck.
I'm sorry this happened, it's awful. I wonder if they used a counterfeit or impure product.
Hi GinaV. You have been in my prayers. Based on your latest post, it sounds like things have settled down. HA under your eyes may last the longest, but it should dissipate from your lips much faster. I'm not an HA expert, but if you have any questions, feel free to send me a private message or email. God bless. Dr. Joseph PS: Thank you for selflessly sharing your experience.
What a compassionate response! God bless you!!
I would insist on my money back and DO NOT let them inject the enzyme to dissolve filler. Vitrase/Wydase will RUIN your face. These doctors need to be held accountable. I have an injector who ruined my face with resty. I got every dime back. We can't let doctors off the hook when they ruin our face. AND DO NOT DO FAT that's even worse. Hope it works out for you
Ginav, I look at your picture before the injections, and I see a beautiful woman. Did the swelling go done, or you happy with the results now?l
Hello Thank you for your kind words. I am so upset still I still have a worm like lump under my right eye and very slight under my left eye. I have not attempted to have the product removed, I am so afraid something else might happen. I have heard that they can inject another product to remove the filler. I will never allow anyone to put anything in my face ever again. This was so traumatic for me and I hate the sides of my lips where she injected it made the width of my mouth shorter.
I appreciate you sharing your story and responding. I've been thinking about getting a filler under my eyes for 2 years now. I went to a Plastic surgeon and he told me to leave my face alone, he also said one wrong move with a filler and I could go blind. My husband keeps telling me how beautiful I am. So I'm going to live with how I look, and just love it. I hope your face comes back to the way you want it.
Ginav, Hope things are going better for you. I'm due to have Sculptra (first injection) on Monday & am freaked out based on your experience. Do you have recent images to share? Many thanks
Ski514 - you will never know just how right you are not to let anyone mess with your face. Its very sobering when things go wrong. Many of us like to believe it only happens to those who go into it blindly and without researching their procedure or the surgeon. Wrong. It can happen to anyone who is unfortunate enough to meet a service provider who cares more about his/her wallet than their patient's health. Until plastic surgery providers are made accountable they will walk continue to away from the people who's faces they have ruined without batting an eyelid.
I agree. My surgeon, Tim Marten made a mess of my face and doesn't care one bit. I need a revision or something to look more normal but I'm too scared. I have him almost 40k to do fat and a facelift. Well- the fat is gone and guess what? I'm back to a saggy face. Worse than before he touched me. These doctors only care about the money.
You really should follow up with them and demand a refund. This is uncalled for and you shouldn't have such defects following injections. These are strictly fillers of wrinkles and should not show up as worm-like appearances after the swelling has gone down. I've been an RN for almost 20 years. Trust me, the girl who did your face didn't know what she was doing and you don't want others to have the same experiences you had. Fillers are supposed to make your appearance smoother and you should NOT look or feel this way afterwards. Please do something about it, for yourself first and foremost, but for others, too.
'expressions' is the newest HA filler. it's supposed to be 'better' than prior formulas (juvederm) in that: it doesn't draw moisture into the injection sites, and causes less initial injection site swelling than juvaderm. it's made by the same company that makes radiesse. do you have an idea of how much material was injected?
How are things today, I hope all the swelling went down!