Chin Liposuction - Maryland

I am a 36 yrs old and recently had chin...

I am a 36 yrs old and recently had chin liposuction (2 weeks post-op). I am slim and just started noticing in the last three years I was developing a double chin and finally decided I couldn't stand it anymore. My plastic surgeon stated during the consultation that the fat appeared to be under the muscle and she was right. So during the surgery she had to cut the muscle under my chin to remove the fat and she also tightened the muscle as well.

When I was considering having the surgery, I was considering the less invasive procedure, such as smart lipo and slim lipo. I am glad that I did not decide on either of those procedures because they would not have been successful since the majority of my fat was under the muscle. When I woke up after the surgery I had slurred speech, a right facial droop, and paralysis on the right side of my lower lip.

For the first few days I had to drink out of a straw and had trouble eating. I thought at first that this was a side effect of the anesthesia, but my surgeon stated it was either a stretched or bruised nerve or the muscle was weakened during surgery and it is only temporary. I was really upset and not optimistic. My mouth was distorted especially when I would smile or laugh. By the end of week one I had stopped slurring my words and my facial droop had resolved, but I still had a crooked smile.

I am now two weeks post-op and my smile is starting to look normal and I can now move the corner of my mouth down slightly, which I could not do at all before. I am beginning to feel better and believe now that I will have my smile back in no time.

As for the results of my procedure, I did not remove the pressure garment for the first 24hrs as instructed and after that only removed it for no more than an hour a day for the first week. My dressing was removed by my surgeon 5 days later. My face and my entire neck was swollen, but below my chin was flat and my double chin was gone. I could see the results and I was very impressed. I continued to wear the pressure garment 23hrs a day for the next week. My swelling in my face has resolved, but I am still really swollen on the right side of my neck and a little on the left. Directly under my chin has begun to swell, which started to make me worry because it was flat before. My surgeon stated that this is normal and to continue to wear my pressure garment at least 8hrs a day or longer if possible. She also told me that if I eat salty foods I could have more swelling, so try to avoid them.

I wanted to post this to make people aware of my side effects and to let them know that they are resolving. I worried so much and did so much research online, but I feel much better now and wanted to share my story. I am glad I did the surgery and cannot wait for the final results!

Baltimore Plastic Surgeon

wow! this is great method that i came to know, thanks for the post.
wow! this is great method that i came to know, thanks for the post.
hi :)..im 11 days post op for chin lipo, bruising and hard swelling still there but is improving every day, ,,im most worried about the numbness in my lower lip and bottom jaw im experiencing, cant smile 2 good and my speech is affected still, should i be worried?
looking great!

If anyone is interested we will be doing a live video chat with one of our Top doctors tonight at 5:15 pm (PST), specifically around chin augmentations, implants, lipo where anybody can ask questions and get real-time answers. If you're interested, sign up here.

it doesn't look like you really had any bruising, is that so?! I have so much, but it's only in my lower neck (which I think is from gravity - they didn't do surgery down there).
when was your surgery? I had bruising for a little over a week and it was in my neck, but it was minimal and turned yellow with in a few days. I now have a little bruising right under my chin that I just noticed.
you can see the yellow in the second picture if you look closely
I see, okay, thanks. It has been 6 days for me, the bruising hasn't really subsided any, I'm hoping it does over the next week. I see others on here with photos after 5 days, and they look almost completely healed! I don't think I'm changing much at all. I have a lot of yellow brusing surrounding a lot of wiggly purple brusing. The worst part though is the swelling in my face, I had some removed up over the jaw line in my lower cheeks, and they are so swollen I feel monstrous :O(. Thanks again for the reply.
By the way I think your jaw line and profile look great!
I am four weeks post-op and I have more swelling under my chin then I originally had the first week. From what I have read swelling can last for a few months. My face was swollen too after the procedure, but that has resolved and I didn't do anything to my face. The healing process just depends on the extent of your procedure and probably other factors such as age and health. Just hang in there it will get better. I wore my compression garment for the first 2 weeks only removing it to shower and now I wear it when ever I am at home and at bedtime. I think that is most important to help with swelling.

aBuxton9 thanks so much for sharing your review.  There are a lot of people that undergo chin liposuction and I have not seen many thorough reviews for this procedures in the chin area.  Your details will definitely be appreciated by thousands of people that will see this in months to come.  This is what I love about RealSelf, people actually get the full view of what they will go through and know a good idea of what to expect before getting something done.  I had no idea that chin liposuction would cause temporary paralysis or a crooked smile.  It is reassuring to know that it goes away after a few weeks.  You look great!!!

Kate

Thanks for posting! It's really helpful to know what to expect (the drooping must be scary if you're not expecting it!).