Fraxel Dual for Melasma - It Does Not Work on Hispanic Skin - Mansfield, TX

I had Fraxel restore to help Melasma. I was...

I had Fraxel restore to help Melasma. I was repeatedly assured that it would be safe to use on my skin tone. I am hispanic with light olive complexion. It has now been four full months and I am still dealing with sever hyperpigmentation. There is a clear demarcation line on my upper cheeks where the laser passed. The melasma has gotten worse. My assumption is that the heat and injury from the laser aggravated an already existing condition. Do not use Fraxel for Melasma. It does not work!

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, sorry you didn't have a good result and your condition has gotten worse. How are you dealing with this, have you followed up with any doctors in search of a solution?

5 month update - Fraxel Restore

I had one Fraxel restore treatment five months ago almost to the day. I developed severe hyperpigmentation. 4 weeks after the treatment I started and completed an 8 week round of Obagi Nuderm. It helped the pigmentation, however as you know once you stop hydroquinone the pigment comes back. Regardless I had to stop the risks are too high.
This morning I woke up to a new vertical line along my right temple. It is a clear demarcation of the laser. I already have hyperpigmentation on my upper cheeks that make me look like I have a mask on and I was hoping that was the worst of it. It appears that damage from the laser is still coming. I am not sure when this will stop.

Needless to say the hyperpigmentation has NOT improved in 5 months and now I am worried there will be more damage to come. It's really frightening.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Mansfield Dertmatology

The office has not been very helpful. I went to see the Dermatologist twice after the treatment at 2 weeks and at 4 weeks. Her last comment was that "in our defense we have treated many patients with your skin color and they have been fine", not sure what that was supposed to do for me. She also indicated that she did not believe she would be able to help remove the hyperpigmentation. She recommended chemical peels but I am too worried about further damage.