Pearl Fractional Ruined my Face - Manitoba, MB

I am on day 12 and am very unhappy with the...

I am on day 12 and am very unhappy with the results. I'm female, 31, light skinned, do not generally heal well. I had mild-moderate ice pick scars on forehead. I had been obsessing over my face for the past year. Finally got rid of my acne a year ago. I tried 4 chem peels, retin a. Home microdermabrasion. Infact I think my face looked worse. My forhead began to look old and weathered, I saw fat loss it seemed. I had never noticed it quite to that degree b4 hand. So 12 days ago I decided to do pearl laser, and pearl fractional. I researched it b4 hand. Read a few bad reviews, most saying it just didn't improve anything. Saw a couple bad ones. As with anything there's always risks. Seemed rare. I went in talked with a technitian and a plastic surgeon. They both recommended the same thing. I called back, asked a ton of questions. The technitians were not nurses or doctors. But they had been using machine for 5 years. Was told that they had no one in 5 years that had scarred. On hyper or hypo pigmentation, which they were able correct with other procedures. So I went ahead with it. Hurt pretty bad. I looked scary but great at the same time. Everything was so swollen you didn't see any scars. I did the vinegar soaks the first 4 days, maybe once on the 5th. Face peeled off on the forth in the shower, my forhead did not yet. It peeled on the 5th. By the 6th day it was still very red. And started to notice these awful grid marks "holes". I was still swollen, went in for check up, the doc and technitian said I looked like I was healing well. I mentioned my concerns about the holes. They said that happens and will go away. By the 8th day it looked even worse. Holes were more noticeable. Orange peel texture started coming out, with wavy skin. I phoned the clinic, they reassured once again I was healing fine. On day 10 and 11 I started freaking out, was avoiding everyone, depression started to come on, anxiety, fear, u name it. I started researching. And found so many others with this same problem. I am scared. My ppl tell me I will always look beautiful. That helped a bit.

So, all in all I'm wondering if anyone had the holes disappear in time? I am only on day 12, not even two weeks. I'm still in the healing process, so there is still a chance for recovery. Wound healing takes about a full month, and an extra two to settle in, and another year or two for final results. And skin goes through it's shedding process every 28 days. So I'm hoping these factors may save me. While I'm still in the healing process is there anything more I can do to help it? I'm currently taking vit.c, omega fatty acid, vit e, iron and zinc and a multi vit. Eating somewhat decent. Trying not to put makeup on it, I was told I could put make up on on the 7th day. I've read that ppl with oily skin may not have the holes scab and close over. Right now I'm switching between emu oil, polysporin and nothing/just dry. Dabbing any of my own oil away. This morning when I woke up, I saw a good 8 percent improvement on my temples, the grid was almost raised there instead of holes tho. I'm thankful about that, gave me hope for forehead. I may just be seeing things, but I felt like I maybe saw a 2 percent improvement with my forehead. The redness is also fading, maybe that's just why, not my issue tho. I'm looking very closely at the holes, and I see stuff in them, I'm not sure if it's debris, zit stuff, or possibly skin forming. This gave me hope this morning. I will post more pics and such as time goes on. I just pray that I will still heal. What a mistake...

25 days post factional laser resurfacing gone wrong

Well I'm now 25 days post, my forehead looks worse than ever. The grid marks are so apparent, where the laser ended and every laser hole. It's still a tiny bit swollen and gets red still. I wish I could go back in time. All my previous scars look worse, did nothing to improve the saggy/texture issues, saggyness looks worse, and texture is ten times worse with the millions of holes.

Well, I'm trying to do anything to help this along now. Been taking supplements, vit.c, multi, omega 3, zinc, and vit e. Did a few honey masks, been using emu oil and a C peptide occasionally. Gentle cleansers. Changed diet yesterday, going to try and avoid gluten and dairy when I can. It's hard when ur already a vegetarian. And last but not least, I got Psoria Gold in the mail yesterday. So just started using it. I'm going to apply it twice a day, and try to avoid makeup on forhead. I'm able to wear a hat at work, it had been my saviour and security blanket. I will update in another couple weeks to see if there is improvement.

As for mental/emotional stuff. It's been so hard. Trying to keep a brave face and positive attitude. I've told most ppl in my life, no one seems to judge, leaves me free to wear my hat all the time and not get questioned. As for docs. I saw the plastic surgeon on day 16 I believe. Him and technitian both said it looks fine, the holes are normal and will go away at the one month mark or even a bit longer. I don't believe them, I felt the tension. And the doc said "personally, I do t believe in laser resurfacing for acne scarring" my heart sank, I couldn't believe what I just heard, why did he recommend this, why didn't he tell me about these side effects. Only hyper and hypo pigmentation. He just wanted my money. I was supposed to come back for my one mth mark for a comparison, they said to enjoy my summer and to come back in the fall. Clearly they were shooing me out. I wanted to cry. I have supportive and understanding peop in my life. That's made a huge difference. I still really shy away from my new partner. Only person I allow to see me without a hat really. And even so, curtains are usually closed.

I will stay positive, I will stay hopeful. For that's all we have. I will try this better healthy regimen, and hope that time helps in some way. Oh, at my one mth and a half mark, I'm heading back in for a surprise visit to see that doc. And I'm bringing someone with me. It ain't no joke...

One mth mark post pearl fractional

I decided to update early, it is my one mth mark post procedure. I was supposed to go back into office to have a b4 and after comparison. However last time I went in, they shooed me away and said to come back in fall. Surgeon said my scarred laser holes always go away and it sometimes takes a mth or even a bit over a mth. Well I still have the holes. They maybe have improved by 3 percent since day 15. I knew at 7 that something was wrong, doc and technician said I'm fine. I asked if there's anything that can help heal. They said no. There are so many things that we can do or change about our lifestyle that can help us to heal. I only wish I started my regimen after the first week instead of week 2 or 3. Could have made a bigger difference. I added a couple more things to my regimen, I'll update at my two mth mark to see if there was improvement. As for other improvement. My redness and swelling has gone down in past few days. Not sure if it's cuz of the new regimen or just time passing. But all in all, I'll take any improvement.

I have a doc appt in a couple of weeks to see if he would potentially put me on a low dose accutane at my two mth mark if nothing has improved. I doubt he will go for it. Maybe he may know of some good plastic surgeons in the city at least. If not, I may just purchase it online like the others on this site are doing. I'll update at some point how that goes as well. And also only a couple more weeks till I make a surprise visit at the office I went to where they scarred me. I'm interested to see what they'll say this time...

Where to get Accutane online?

Hey there, this is for anyone who may be reading this. I live in canada and am looking for a reputable online pharmacy that ships accutane to canada. I've researched but am coming up with nothing. Or any kind of other process of how to get it in canada. I only have very mild non cystic acne. My reasoning for it is to decrease my pores and reduce my oil to hopefully help with my laser damage but doctors only prescribe for acne sufferers. Please help

Laser damage update along with other skin improvements

Pearl Fractional laser damage to forhead update. So, I'm a few days shy of my two month out mark. Progress is very little. Hard to tell how much progress, as I feel I may just be getting used to what I see in the mirror. Swelling has reduced 98% redness has reduced 94%. Still sensitive to scratches, even just washing, tends to redden easily. Still gets a little itchy from time to time. Couldn't use harsh products even if I wanted to. I feel like the majority of the healing is pretty much complete at this point. All that's left is for it to settle, maybe some last improvements with skin renewal and skin thickening to wait for.

Refresher on my regimen. I started using emu oil around week 2.5. Started psoria gold just under the one mth mark. I'd have to say that these two things combined helped sooth and reduce inflammation. I've been taking supplements which would include vit .c, omega 3, zinc, vit.a, occasional vit.e, and multi vit. I have also been putting on c peptides a good 4 times per week. I have rarely put makeup on forehead. Last thing would b that I cut down my gluten and dairy intake, I found that when I consumed gluten, my skin became more itchy, seemed to b causing inflammation. All that being said, not much improvement had taken place since day 16. Laser holes are only a little less noticeable. One thing I saw a more significant improvement would b with the lines/indents of where the laser ended, have diminished. I'll take what I can get.

New thing I started a few days ago, was upping my water intake significantly. Drinking at least 6-8 bottles per day. Since doing this, I may, and I say may, see a slight improvement in the laser holes on my temples. Now I'm not sure why, I almost feel like my skin is more plump perhaps. Now on a side note, which I'm happy to report, with this extra water intake. I've seem a huge improvement with another unrelated issue I have. It's never been diagnosed, but from what I've researched, it looked like I had syringomas/white bumps underneath my eyes. Had them for as long as I can remember. They got worse the past few years, my eyes looked more hallow which brought them out. The fine lines were showing there as well. Anyways, I've seen a huge improvement with the bumps, fine lines, and a bit with the hollowness. I'm not sure which regimen to credit this too. But it changed as soon as I upped the water. I will continue this for sure, and post pics in the near future. One less thing to worry about as much. I hope I continue to see improvement.

Next week I have my appt with a plastic surgeon. I'm hopefully going to discuss accutane, maybe some derma rolling. Also anything else that may help to improve the situation. I def have fat loss which I have now learned. I still haven't phoned, but there is a doc in my city who has worked with reCell b4. Not sure if he practices with it or not. But I will give them a call. As for my emotional state. I'm not too bad. I do think my laser holes are shallower than some, I feel I do have a chance for repair in some way. I'm dealing with it at the most. I still wear a hat in public everyday, became a comfort thing. I seem to function normally with it. Not thinking much about it. It's been my saviour to say the least. I still have bad days now and again. But I'm not letting it consume me anymore, that's the main thing. Well I'll update again soon with any changes or news.

So I'm just over two mths out. Had a follow up appt today at the clinic. The technician took after photos finally with this machine thing that does close ups and special photos to pick out different imperfections. I saw the b4 and after. It is worse, there is hard proof. The woman admitted it was worse, she acknowledged that the pin holes from the laser grid were still there. The doc came in. He changed his opinion of how long it will take for the holes to go away. Originally said 1-1.5 mths. Now says 4-6 mths. Again saying, "they ALWAYS go away". Well with no improvement at all in the past 1.5 mths. I can't see why he would think that they would go away still. Anyways, he offered me two free laser genesis treatments to help speed things up he said. I've had this treatment b4 all of this with zero change. Didn't hurt anything or make anything worse, so I'll take it I guess. But they just keep saying to b patient. I told her I've researched online and have found ppl where this issue never goes away. And she says she's never seen that happen, only ppl who have had the C02. Obviously that's a lie. Seeing those b4 and after photos almost made me cry, sure I had skin issues, but not like this. I also asked her, as to what they will do if at 8 mths this still hasn't gone away. She said she can't give me an answer, but they will re asses and go from there. Anyways, I have my appt with another surgeon in the city in a couple of days, so we'll see what he says. Derma rolling sounds interesting, and I still want that prescription for accutane. I'll update in a few days as to what the other doc says.

Thank you for keeping your review up to date. Let us know what you decide - good luck!
I found this post in the "how to fix laser damage forum". Hi everyone. I'll share with you my experience of recovering from huge post-fraxel damage, that I got three years ago. I thought it was the end of my life. I was 30 by that time and aged 10 years within 4 months. Trying to remove minor post acne scars, I got hyper pigmentation, redness, saggy skin, loss of fat around my eyes and on the right cheek. My life turned into nightmare. I underwent most expensive treatments and visited most famous docs, who did not give any hope, until I found one dermatologist, who turned out to be a real genius. She prescribed me a year course of roaccutane combined with vitamin therapy. And then a year later a course of biorevitalisation. Now I have such a dramatic change to my look, that most of my friends think that I've undergone plastic surgery. Roaccutane is usually prescribed for acne treatment, but it has also powerful capacity of restructuring inner skin tissues that give permanent skin lift. DO NOT BELIEVE to those who say that roaccutane is dangerous and harmful. I passed one year course and stay healthy and beautiful. They spread this fake information, because iroaccutane is cheap and helps to solve so many skin problems, that if people start taking it, most beauty clinics will go bankrupt. BUT YOU SHOULD TAKE ROACCUTANE ONLY UNDER DOCTOR'S CONTROL!!!!! Regarding hyper pigmentation, I had two 15% TSA pilings 4 months prior to roaccutane treatment (you can take after the treatment). And Spongilla lacustris L masks during the treatment. If you need more detailed description please write to my email vsedova@yahoo.com. I will be happy to share with you my experience. I know what nightmare you are passing through. PLEASE DO NOT FALL INTO DESPAIR, as I did one day. This problem is solvable. Vickyy
The grid marks don't ALWAYS go away. It makes me so frustrated that they keep lying to you. As you know, I had the same treatment at the same clinic. I am 8 months post-laser and I still have grid marks. I was told by another plastic surgeon that this is a KNOWN complication of pearl fractional and that in some people the damage is permanent. He also told me that Pearl Fractional should never be done on someone young because of the risks. It should only be used forwith deep wrinkles.
It's so frustrating, how do you even argue that. I kept my mouth shut with the doctor this time, as last time he got upset. I spoke up to the technician tho. Said I researched online and have found many ppl who have had the same issue. Once again, she said they ALWAYS go away. So I asked, "what if when I'm at 8 mths post, that they're still present, that will happen then". She didn't have much of a response to that, said they would re asses or something. It's so upsetting. The worst part was seeing the b4 and after pic right next to each other. I almost cried, I can't believe I paid this much to look like this. I'm tired of wearing this fricken hat. I told the woman that too almost crying as I did it. I'd like to say I don't blame her, as she's just following what the doc says. But you have to take responsibility. Again they said they've never had anyone have this problem with this specific treatment where it didn't go away. It's a lie obviously. You feel so helpless in that situation, there's nothing you can do. I can yell, but where will that get me besides a boot out the door. Or I can just shut up, and hope they offer me something. Which they did, but I know it won't help in the least bit. The doc even said just before he offered it "sorry that it's not healing fast enough for you" in a slightly sarcastic tone. Well if I go by what he originally said, that it would heal up a month post. Then I have every right to feel this way. Knowing that they're just biding time, hoping I will forget or just give up. I just hope I feel some kind of hope after tmrw.
You should be fully healed from a laser treatment in 6 months. Any side effect (ie. hyperpigmentation, erythema, uneven texture, etc.) that has not resolved within 6 months is considered a complication and requires intervention. I see that the First Glance Clinic offers dermapen resurfacing. If your skin still looks worse after 6 months, I would go back and ask them to either fix the damage or refund your money so you can get treatment elsewhere. It is not in there best interest to have an unhappy customer. When I was researching laser resurfacing, I remember reading a story about a woman who protested outside Dr. Minuk's clinic after a botched laser procedure. I'm not allowed to post the link on here but the title of the article is "Laser surgery problems spark woman's protest at clinic". It's posted on the CBC News website. It seems like complications from these procedures are a lot more common then they lead you to believe. It's "bad for business" to admit that they could actually make your skin worse. I have been very depressed about the damage to my skin. My doctor prescribed me anti-depressants and it has helped some. If you are experiencing depression you might want to consider that to help you through this time. I used to cry every time I looked in the mirror. It still bothers me a lot but at least now I'm able to live my life.
Interesting fact, Cutera (manufacturer of Pearl Fractional) states on their website that the Pearl Fractional laser is only indicated for "moderate to severe photoaging" (ie. wrinkles). They make no mention of the use for treating acne scarring. In terms of healing time, they state that "improvement is realized over a six month period". It's unlikely that you will see any changes in your skin after 6 months.
I had the fractional Co2 laser back in March this year , never ever again, my Doctor told me I would need a few treatments to see full benefits and never to go in the sun wear a 30+ sunscreen or the whole thing will be a waste of time and money. Firstly it was so painful! Unbearably painful, two days after I ended up in hospital being treated with antibiotics and on morphine. I contacted the clinic and they asked me to send pictures of course they said this was normal but a plastic surgeon in the private hospital I was in told me he was worried about the amount of 'clinics ' who have 'some training ' to use these machines and don't have much experience at all. It's taken this long now to heal and I have red patches and lines on my face and chest, also scarring. I'm in Melbourne Australia. I have pictures if I can work out how to post them here.
I'm so sry u had this happen. Unfortunately these places know about these risks but somehow are not responsible for having to disclose them. They say the bare minimum so u will give them ur money, then away they send u. Works out great for some, but not everyone. Somehow they are ok at sleeping at night, knowing they are latterly ruining the lives of ppl. I will never b the same. My skin will never b the same. I try to have hope, I'm not sure what route to take as I don't want to make things worse. It's hard looking in the mirror. I feel like I'm in my own prison at times, no one knows I have this feeling. I'm able to hide my damage mostly. Looking at everyone around you, seeing their smooth skin. Thinking why can't that b me. I don't feel it's selfish or greedy. Well u r not alone, there are many ppl on here going through the same thing as you. There are some success stories where ppl have resolved there damage, hopefully they are trustworthy. I wish u much luck. If u have any questions feel free to ask.
Hey. I saw your post about Recell. There is a doctor in Winnipeg who performs this treatment. His name is Dr. Ken Dolynchuk and his clinic is called Ageless Cosmetic. He doesn't advertise the procedure on his website, but I came across some articles he wrote about using the technology and he is credited with one of the first documented experiences with Recell in North America. If you are considering this treatment, it might be worth contacting him. Let me know if you do. You can read more about him at the link below: ***Removed Link***
Hey, yes, his name popped up in some searches. I didn't see it advertised. I emailed his clinic but they didn't respond, I just figured he didn't perform it in a cosmetic way. Thank you so much for this info. I also read recently that someone else in Canada said that there was no one in Canada who performed it, that they had contacted the reCell company and they told them that too. They must have contacted them a while back. Oh this is exciting. I've heared of the dermaroller. I've heard of some success with this on this site with laser damage victims. So for sure that's great news too. I'm not sure what avenue to take, I just don't want to cause stress to my skin anymore, I feel it needs a good chance to heal and just settle. I think b4 all this I had retin a damage too. This past year it's just went through a lot of trauma. I really want to go down the accutane route for some reAson. Idk, ok, questions to ask. Places to call. Thx so much for the info. I'll let u know how the appt goes in the next couple weeks.
Hey Chapters, I wanted to let you know that I tried the test spot for Pearl laser and it did not help the orange peel texture at all. I'm very discouraged. I was wondering if you have had any success with Psoriasis Gold?
I'm really sorry to hear there was no improvement. Thanks for keeping me updated. Well the swelling went down, not really itchy anymore, not sure if that was just normal healing or if it was psoria gold. It's def not doing harm tho. Keeping it somewhat moisturized too. I'll try it for a couple mths at least to form a solid opinion. So far I'm happy it's not that red anymore. But it looks like a burn victims skin. I have an appt. with ziesmann on aug 16th. Not sure what to do in meantime. I want to go on acutTane for sure. I need to see improvement. Unsure of how I'll acquire it tho. But I will do it. I wonder if laser genesis would help
Did the Psorias gold make your skin more red or help reduce the redness? Dr. Ziesmann could prescribe you accutane if he thinks it will help.
Probably helped with the redness, or it was just me naturally healing. It didn't make anything worse. Let me try it for a bit longer and I'll let u know my thoughts on psoria. I think it helped sooth my skin as it was still healing. But for someone who's out of the healing process, I don't think it would do much good, not worth the money. But they say to always try things for 2 or 3 months just to see the full effects. So it might change and I might see improvement from it.
I'll let u know about it after taking it a bit longer. Ya I think I'll ask ziesmann about accutane, I hope he will prescribe it. I'm scared to try anything else. I've done laser genesis at his office, I might try that again. The girl there was offering it to me for just my forehead for 55 bucks just b4 I had the resurfacing. Good deal. Can't remember where I posted it, but I saw that there's a doc in Wpg who's worked with ReCell therapy. I emailed is office. Haven't heard back. Maybe I'll phone. Name is Dr. Dolynchuk. Can't find anywhere in canada where they do it in an aesthetic way. Do u know what would b nice, if we could somehow gather everyone in Wpg who had this happen and share our experience. See if they found anything in Wpg that helped with their situation.
I had a follow-up with Dr. Ziesmann today. He told me about a new treatment they will be trialing at his clinic called microneedling. The treatment uses a small handheld rolling device called a derma roller which is covered with many tiny closely-spaced needles. As the device rolls along the skin, the needles create tiny holes supposedly without damaging the epidermis. This is supposed to stimulate the body's collagen and elastin production to tighten the skin. He thought it would help with my textural damage from the pearl fractional. I know you have an appointment coming up so I thought you might want to ask him about it. I did some research on it and I saw some impressive before/after pictures. I think I'm going to try it.
Here is a video that explains Microneedling:
I looked at your pictures. It looks like the holes have improved slightly but you're right they are still there. Is Dr. Lockwood willing to do anything to help you heal? Maybe laser genesis? It is supposed to help improve skin texture.
In a couple weeks I will be going back, he said it could take a bit over month for the holes to disappear. So at that point when they are still there, I'll see what he says. I've tried laser genesis b4 all of this. Only one time tho, it did nothing for my acne scarring, maybe it can do something for this.
I had a Pearl Fractional treatment on Oct 31/13. I still have very evident grid marks from the laser. It looks like huge pores all over my face. I was told this would resolve over the next few months and it never did. The plastic surgeon who owns the clinic said he can do traditional C02 laser to get rid of the marks but it sounds so invasive and I'm scared it will just get worse. I am also in Winnipeg. What is the name of the clinic you went to? I'm wondering if it's the same one...
Oh wow, ur in winnipeg too? The first glance on grant. Did you have a deep treatment? I don't feel that mine was too deep. The holes do look superficial. But I can't see how they would smooth over. If I haven't seen any improvement in the last couple weeks when I'm at peek healing time, why would they smooth over now? It looks terrible. The co2 one they want to use, is it the one where it's very superficial and burns the whole top layer off instead of holes? I've thought of that as an option, seems like no one else here has tried it either. Everyone is too scared, which is understandable. Have u ever thought of doing a test patch? See how you heal? How are you dealing with this aftermath, hope you're ok. Have you read about the accutane? Is that a thought for you?
I also went to First Glance Clinic. They are refusing to tell me the settings they used but they said it was not a deep treatment. When I went for my follow-up a month later Dr. Lockwood told me that I am healing normally and that the orange peel texture would resolve over the next few months...which it did not. I went to see another plastic surgeon for a second opinion and he told me that resurfacing does not work well on a significant fraction of the population and can make their skin appearance much worse. Even if penetration is not excessive, in some people, particularly those with large pores and a lot of skin oil, the epidermis may not regenerate well, resulting in a much worse surface texture than before the procedure. This is due to variations in the way new epidermal cells grow outward from the pores and sweat gland openings. Also, the basal or bottom layer of the epidermis, which forms new skin cells, may not return to it's normal pre-operative state. Even though wrinkles may be reduced, up close the resulting epidermis may be thin and have an uneven, orange-peel appearance. He initially recommended using a tretinoin cream which helps promote epidermal turnover but my skin has not improved over the last 8 months. The only thing I can do is the traditional C02 laser is not superficial as it ablates the entire surface of the epidermis. There are risks such as infection, prolonged redness, hyperpigmentation and hypopigmentation. He said he would do a test spot to see how my skin heals before doing the treatment. I have been really depressed as I had only minor skin problems before and now my skin looks worse than before.
Oh my god, this is ridiculous. I'm sry, my head is shaking right now. They don't give a shit. How can they get away with this. The only risks they pointed out was hypo and hyper pigmentation. I knew nothing of this. I feel like I'm losing hope. Even if the residual redness and swelling go down. The grid holes are something I'm not comfortable letting ppl see ever. Yep I had the same doctor, I was also told by a woman on the phone, that I the past 5 years since they started, that they have never once had an issue with a patient aside from hypo or hypo, which they were able to resolve with other treatments. They are liars. Dr also told me the holes always go away. We'll find something. This can't be it. I would go ahead with a test patch myself. May I ask what surgeon u went to for you're second opinion?
Dr. Ziesmann is the surgeon who recommended the traditional C02 laser. He said it is the gold standard for skin resurfacing but isn't used very much anymore because of the long recovery time (has been replaced by the fractional C02 laser). I was also never warned about the possibility of permanent textural changes on my skin and it was not listed as a risk on the consent form I signed. They take no responsibility for what they did to me and won't do anything to fix it.
I have read on real self that some people have had success repairing the textural damage using Isotretinoin, although there are a lot of side effects.