I am a 58 year old female who has always looked...

I am a 58 year old female who has always looked younger than my age until 8 years ago when I turned 50 and menopause literally caused my face to melt almost over night. I have researched plastic surgeons in NJ and NY and have a consultation scheduled with Dr Dan Baker in NY in a few weeks. Very anxious!

Appointment Next Week with Dr Dan Baker in Manhattan

I have been waiting 7 months for this appointment, I made it back in December 2013, that's how long his wait time is! I will let you all know how my consultation went! Also, if anyone here has had surgery with him recently please share your experience along with costs. Wish me luck..........

Had Consultation with Dr. Dan Baker

I was so nervous about my consultation but pleasantly surprised. The office is beautiful with an Old World Charm. I filled out a complete medical history form when I arrived. He does not overbook so I was finished with my visit and received my surgery proposal with costs from his surgical coordinator all within one hour. Dr. Baker has such a calm, professional demeanor, I felt relaxed as soon as he walked into the examining room. What I really liked about him is the time he took discussing my medical history. He was very concerned about my new onset high blood pressure with respect to surgery. Apparently, if your blood pressure becomes too elevated during surgery and post op as well, you will ooze blood and body fluids through the incisions which would be a disaster. I respect the fact that he put safety first ahead of my cosmetic wishes and for a minute I thought he was going to refuse to take my case. He sits right next to you instead of behind a big desk and I almost felt as if I was speaking with a friend or colleague due to his soft spoken and reserved quality. It is obvious that he is passionate about his work and addressed all of my concerns as he was touching my face and explaining things to me. He was not rude, arrogant or condescending and his fees are no higher than most plastic surgeons in Manhattan. I told him I wanted a facelift ( he said I only needed a short scar lift), upper and lower bleph and "something done" about a small scar on my face that has bothered me since I was a child. For that he recommends dermabrasion and prefers that over any laser treatments. If all goes well and there are no surprises personally, with my family or my health, I am thinking of a Surgery date for this September!
not done yet

He sounds ideal. Have you had any recommendations from previous patients? The wait between booking surgery and the actual surgery can be a very anxious time - it was for me and afterwards I wondered what I had been worried about!! Good luck with your choice and your surgery.
I'm having a facelift scheduled for oct 28th, a long wait, just like you. I'm looking forward to seeing your photos. You will be fine and results will be fabulous x
sch53 I hope the summer goes by fast and then again I don't! I know I will be fine the day of surgery because the waiting will be over and I will become very focused and with that a sense of calmness will follow. We can keep each other company from opposite ends of the globe.
Can't wait to see the results, Please keep us posted
So happy for you. There is a lot of support here on real self as you anxiously wait for your surgery date. It sounds like you are in good hands!
Aww, thank you so much, I saw your picture from day 11 I think, I was speechless, just gorgeous!
Good for you! So glad the consult went well and you feel confident about next steps! :)
Thank you A to Z! Hope you are doing well! :)
Thanks -- I am, and I'll post an update this weekend!
Ps . Have you looked into dr. Rizk ? He is in NYC.
Hi cme, thanks for the recommendation, but I have decided on Dr Baker after finally having my consultation. How are you feeling??
Congratulation on deciding on the right ps for you. It's been 1 1/2 months from my surgery and I am doing much better, it has taken me a while to heal. Still feel tension in my neck area when I turn my head. Btw is dr.baker going to do a deep plane fl ? That a what I had. Good luck and you will be happy, give yourself 3 to 4 weeks to be 100% happy
Sorry for typos I am on my iphone
Hi cme, how are you coming along? No, he does not do deep plane facelifts, they are more invasive with more risks and longer recovery periods. How has your recovery been?
So happy for you- I have and am going through a major over haul- face, breasts , arms , thighs , butt- face & breasts arms done- it is life changing - you will be amazed how wonderful you will feel- best of luck-
Hi Anxious in nj -I am recovering but it is slow - I am actually seeing my ps today because I still have a slight bump on the side of my cheek and need a cortisone injection there. I am very happy with the results and currently working on the quality of my skin by using retin a - and over the counter face creams . I don't know if I would recommend doing a deep plane after the fact and learning that it is very high risk and there are about 30 ps in the US who can perform this surgery (and my guy is one of them). The good thing about deep plane you look very natural and it last almost forever - depending on your age - I am 59 and my ps I will never need another Fl - yeah! Are you still on for September with dr. Baker? Have you seen him again since your last consult? You will be happy ! We are all here to support you emotionally on your journey. I am so grateful to Real Self website to read about others recovery from fl - I think I would of gone nuts with out this website.
I saw your pictures, you look absolutely amazing!
I never posted pictures - are you talking about someone else?
Hi cme. Gee, there are so many people on here, its easy to get confused. Yes, I was talking about someone else! Apologies..........
Hi I was in the same spot you are in. I wanted to get a facelift, frustrated looking older after turning 50. I researched and consulted many plastic surgeons. After much research and thought on this I decided to use a plastic surgeon who is an otolaryngologist ( they only work from the neck up) also who is double certified I.e. Facial plastic and reconstructive Surgery. Do not go thru the life style lift! I have heard too many horror stories. I hope this help. Once you find the right plastic surgeon you will do it. I am very pleased I finally committed to getting a facelift. I would highly recommend my doctor but he is in California and that is too far to go for you. There are fantastic doctors in NYC.
You will do fine, Try Not to worry...I am having more surgery in Late sept... read our reviews all will be great....
Thank you KKAD, all reassurance's are greatly appreciated!
I know it can be scary making the decision. Here's a post from one woman about what she wishes she knew before her facelift to help you make an informed doctor choice. It looks like you are getting a lot of good support and feedback from the other facelifters here. I will be checking back for your updates. :)
Ladies, I am also considering Dr Slupchynskij, but not sure if his signature Slup Lift would give the result I want to see which is no jowls at all! Any thoughts about him??
No, no, no. Get a traditional face lift, I did not use him, but they say Rod Rohrich in Dallas is the best. Never know if it is just the hype from the Oprah show or not, tho.