Surgery Completed and I am very pleased with results

I am a 58 year old female who has always looked...

I am a 58 year old female who has always looked younger than my age until 8 years ago when I turned 50 and menopause literally caused my face to melt almost over night. I have researched plastic surgeons in NJ and NY and have a consultation scheduled with Dr Dan Baker in NY in a few weeks. Very anxious!
I know it can be scary making the decision. Here's a post from one woman about what she wishes she knew before her facelift to help you make an informed doctor choice. It looks like you are getting a lot of good support and feedback from the other facelifters here. I will be checking back for your updates. :)
Ladies, I am also considering Dr Slupchynskij, but not sure if his signature Slup Lift would give the result I want to see which is no jowls at all! Any thoughts about him??
No, no, no. Get a traditional face lift, I did not use him, but they say Rod Rohrich in Dallas is the best. Never know if it is just the hype from the Oprah show or not, tho.

Appointment Next Week with Dr Dan Baker in Manhattan

I have been waiting 7 months for this appointment, I made it back in December 2013, that's how long his wait time is! I will let you all know how my consultation went! Also, if anyone here has had surgery with him recently please share your experience along with costs. Wish me luck..........
Ps . Have you looked into dr. Rizk ? He is in NYC.
Hi I was in the same spot you are in. I wanted to get a facelift, frustrated looking older after turning 50. I researched and consulted many plastic surgeons. After much research and thought on this I decided to use a plastic surgeon who is an otolaryngologist ( they only work from the neck up) also who is double certified I.e. Facial plastic and reconstructive Surgery. Do not go thru the life style lift! I have heard too many horror stories. I hope this help. Once you find the right plastic surgeon you will do it. I am very pleased I finally committed to getting a facelift. I would highly recommend my doctor but he is in California and that is too far to go for you. There are fantastic doctors in NYC.
You will do fine, Try Not to worry...I am having more surgery in Late sept... read our reviews all will be great....

Had Consultation with Dr. Dan Baker

I was so nervous about my consultation but pleasantly surprised. The office is beautiful with an Old World Charm. I filled out a complete medical history form when I arrived. He does not overbook so I was finished with my visit and received my surgery proposal with costs from his surgical coordinator all within one hour. Dr. Baker has such a calm, professional demeanor, I felt relaxed as soon as he walked into the examining room. What I really liked about him is the time he took discussing my medical history. He was very concerned about my new onset high blood pressure with respect to surgery. Apparently, if your blood pressure becomes too elevated during surgery and post op as well, you will ooze blood and body fluids through the incisions which would be a disaster. I respect the fact that he put safety first ahead of my cosmetic wishes and for a minute I thought he was going to refuse to take my case. He sits right next to you instead of behind a big desk and I almost felt as if I was speaking with a friend or colleague due to his soft spoken and reserved quality. It is obvious that he is passionate about his work and addressed all of my concerns as he was touching my face and explaining things to me. He was not rude, arrogant or condescending and his fees are no higher than most plastic surgeons in Manhattan. I told him I wanted a facelift ( he said I only needed a short scar lift), upper and lower bleph and "something done" about a small scar on my face that has bothered me since I was a child. For that he recommends dermabrasion and prefers that over any laser treatments. If all goes well and there are no surprises personally, with my family or my health, I am thinking of a Surgery date for this September!
Hi anxiousinnj, Have you decided with a date for surgery yet? I am 59 and had my entire face and neck " done" and I am soooo glad !!!! What a difference it made in both my appearance and my self esteem , hope you have a wonderful experience should you choose to have the surgery. JWolf
He sounds ideal. Have you had any recommendations from previous patients? The wait between booking surgery and the actual surgery can be a very anxious time - it was for me and afterwards I wondered what I had been worried about!! Good luck with your choice and your surgery.
I'm having a facelift scheduled for oct 28th, a long wait, just like you. I'm looking forward to seeing your photos. You will be fine and results will be fabulous x

Pre-op

Feeling so much better after pre op visit. The time from the initial consult to the pre-op visit is very challenging emotionally. I changed my mind several times a day regarding my decision to have surgery. I questioned everything! Thought I was being too vain and selfish. During the pre-op visit, I realized I was in the best possible hands with my surgeon. He is such a nice person, very humble, a gentleman and so experienced. I can breath now..........at least until the day of surgery.........

Surgery done!

I am post op day 6 and had great surgeon, wonderful private duty nurses for 3 days and I am very pleased with my results. The nurses iced my neck first 2 days then began warm compresses on third day which I continue to do myself on my neck and eyes and have no swelling and minimal bruising. Celebrex helped a lot as well. Only wore face bra 2 days and was given a neck brace after that which I have to wear for at least 2 weeks.
So pleased you are happy with things so far. Rest up and keep us posted.
Thank you sch. I am post op day 7 and can honestly say there has not been any incision pain on face or eyes. The most painful part was the drain which was removed from my neck after 2 days and some ear discomfort. But I have no swelling and very slight bruising. The weekend before the surgery was very difficult for me due to anxiety. That was really the worst part of this journey so far. Today I am pain free and just have to wear a neck collar for 2 weeks.
Thank you jwolfe. I only wish I did it sooner!

Incisions first week post op

Incisions healing very nicely and are extremely thin.
Did you take any supplements or medications for bruising/swelling? How often was ice applied in those first days? Do you have any incisions beneath the chin and if not, did you have any lipo on the neck? I know you had a nurse for the 3 days post op but could you have managed on your own before that? Tons of q's .....tks, grace
Hi Anxious, I can barely see your sutures! You mentioned Celebrex for pain...what else did you take for pain after the surgery?
Hi Winky, I was prescribed Celebrex which I had to start day before surgery, Vicodin which I took for the pain caused by the Penrose drain and Valium. Yes I do have an incision under my chin which I will post.

More post op photos

Hi Grace, I could not have done anything without the nurses even though my husband is also with me. They iced my neck beginning in recovery first day and next 2 days. Then they began warm compresses and stopped all ice. I had no lipo under chin, just a neck lift. I did also start Arnica Montana 2 days before surgery. I just posted my chin incision too.

Post op day 9

Sutures removed in front of ears and under chin today. No swelling at all since day of surgery and I think it is because I had 2 drains, one on each side of my face and the nurses began manually massaging my jawline up to the sides of my ears to the drains to facilitate blood moving into the drains and out of my face. This combined with the continuous icing and the Celebrex played a role to halt swelling. I only have bruising on the sides of my neck below and behind my ears.

Post op day 9 suture removal

Left ear after suture removal
What kind of schedule (x/day) were you on for the Arnica and at what dosage? Did you take bromelain or eat your weight in pineapple and blueberries :)? And the Celebrex is for swelling? Are there different prescription strengths of that? Anything for nausea and did you have any? How was chewing/opening your mouth/swallowing? Did Baker do a platysmaplasty and if so any chance you know if he used absorbable or permanent sutures in the midline internal incision of the neck. again with the q's...tks, grace

Post op day 11

Upper eye incisions removed today. Still a little puffy but incisions are invisible.
So glad you are doing well. It just gets better from here!!

Day 14

Hard to believe it was 2 weeks ago I was traveling to hotel in Manhattan day before my surgery. I was so nervous and now I wish I had surgery years ago when I no longer liked looking in the mirror.
Can't see much but what I can looks so young and beautiful! Congrats!
Hi Anxious, you'll be getting better and better. Keep sending pictures. I'm sure you are beautiful. I myself had a facelift (Dr. F.H., Dallas TX) and am very disappointed. Although he and his staff were very nice it was not worth wasting 12,500! I look the same before and after. Too natural! Too bad I didn't take any pictures. So hopefully this will help someone. Make sure you tell whoever that you want to look younger not the same. :(
4 weeks post op: Ears still numb with tightness and burning in neck but no real pain. Still sleeping on my back only. Don't have the courage to lay on my ears. My results are so natural, family members who saw me right before my surgery and now have no idea I did anything. I like my eyes, they healed well and also look natural. The only thing I have to get used to is the characteristic "bunching" of skin behind the ears which is common with a short scar facelift. I had no idea it would look that way but I'm hoping it smooths out and flattens over time.
not done yet

Dr. Dan Baker in Manhattan is simply stated a professional, dedicated and extraordinary surgeon. I always say, "It's all about the surgeon." His decades of experience and impeccable reputation world wide speaks for itself.