Zeltiq - the Professionals Lie About the Amount of Pain! - Manhattan, NY

I had zeltiq 4 days ago to flatten my tummy a bit...

I had zeltiq 4 days ago to flatten my tummy a bit in time for the summer, it was applied to my lower abdomen at a dermatology office in Manhattan, NYC. When they placed the smaller suction cup on to the area, my autonomic nervous system basically went into shock. I broke out in a cold sweat, became nauseated and had to recline in the chair and take deep breaths to calm my body down. My guess for this reaction is that human bodies just aren't very happy with being cryogenically frozen. For the first 10 minutes, I was in tremendous pain. For point of reference, I've had my nose, ankle and foot broken (three seperate occasions) been in 2 car accidents and have dealt with having four impacted wisdom teeth removed (while I was awake b/c I can't have full anasthesia) but I have Never experienced such devastating pain such as this. The pain did not completely dissipate after the first ten minutes, like everyone had told me it would. It continued to be rather uncomfortable but I was able to read and wimper to my boyfriend a little on the phone to distract myself from it. The end of the procedure (when the suction is removed and your skin is exposed to the air/starts un-numbing)may be the worst part. Afterwards, I had to run to the restroom as I experienced a case of acute diarrhea (sorry to be so graphic, but I want to accurately share the experience).

It has been 4 days and I am still experiencing numbness, itchiness, cramps and some shooting pains. Apparently this is normal for the first week or two so I am not worried about it; however, it is quite painful and has had an effect on my movements, ie: working out is painful, any movement in the treatment area at all is painful, actually just lying still is painful. Initially, the skin was very sensitive/felt like a bad sunburn for the first two days. That, thankfully, has subsided. The initial bruising from the procedure has faded away also. Hopefully, I only have another week or so to go before the abdominal cramps and shooting pains subsist. This better be worth it! I don't think everyone will have as bad as an experience as I did, but I at least want people to know that it is possible to feel A LOT of pain - going in to it, it may make it easier for the other people out there like me.

New York City Dermatologist

Not much of a consultation, more of a 'get em in and get em out' feeling. They were also pretty derisive towards me about the pain I felt, exclaiming at my uncontrollable response of curling into a fetal position after the suction was removed.

Where did you have your procedure done for $800.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Hi C.B. - thanks for the post. I called the doctor's office today and they told me that shooting pains were normal and would subsist in 1-2 weeks. This time frame is consistent with what other ppl on this site have reported as far as when their pain stopped. While I'm not looking forward to being in pain, at least I know nothing is seriously wrong with me. My Dr. doesn't prescribe any painkillers (!!) but advised I take tylenol - I took advil last night and it didn't do a thing, so I don't have high hopes. I may invest in a heating pad, warmth seems to help. Best of luck to you and let me know how it goes!
I called the office and got Neurontin for the pain. It is a nerve blocker which another reviewer suggested. It did help to take the edge off, but it didn't take the pain away completely. However my shooting pain is more of a cramping feeling now. I hope I am getting close to the end of the tunnel. Ice packs also work for me. Heat seems to make mine worse? I'll check back again in a couple weeks to see how your progress goes. Fingers crossed!
I had the same exact experience! I had the procedure 5 days ago, and last night was the first time my sleep was affected due to shooting pain. I am going to call the doctor's office to see if I can get some pain meds. Advil didn't do a thing. I hope all of this residual pain is over soon. I can't take this for much longer!! Good luck to you.