Can I Wear a Retainer Even Having a Dental Bridge? - Manhattan, NY

I had braces before and I think the work is undone...

I had braces before and I think the work is undone since there is a gap in between my upper teeth which is visible enough. I wore my braces religiously for the past 4 years and the gap is still there. I feel so frustrated and did a dental bridge a year ago since the dentist said my teeth are aligned.

After the dental bridge treatment, I stopped wearing my retainer. I assumed because the gap is filled so there is no reason to wear back my retainer. Also, the retainer wont fits the dental bridge.

Now after a year without wearing my retainer, I noticed that my teeth are moving and not aligned as before. Thus I have hard time to bite. Lately, I feel some pain while I was sleeping especially where the dental bridge is placed.

My concern is t is ok to wear my retainer since I have my dental bridge. I’m very worried if the metal of the retainer going to stress the dental bridge since that is the teeth involved.

Manhattan Plastic Surgeon

If you are noticing shifting in your teeth I would encourage you to call your orthodontist or dentist and let them know. I would think they would be able to have some sort of retainer fashioned to work with your bridge, but of course I don't know for sure.

Keep us posted on what you find out!