Very Painful, Burned Me, and Thinned the Skin - Magnolia, TX

I have been through three treatments with the...

I have been through three treatments with the Apollo. I was treating fine lines and wrinkles around my mouth and face. The technician who treated me would heat my face up to 40 degrees celsius, however parts of my face would feel a stabbing burning sensation and she said that those parts of my face were heating up to nearly 42 degrees celsius. My left side of my face was waaay more sensitive than the right. After the procedure I saw results all right--horrible results. I thought my face was plumper because the procedure had worked. Within an hour, the plumpness had disappeared, and my face looked gaunt and my skin looked saggy. Even the color of my skin had changed to a dingy, old color. I noticed spots that were very red on my cheeks. They are burn marks. I have more lines around my mouth than before, and all the padding on my cheeks has thinned down. My face looks narrow, and you can see every indentation around my eyes and forehead. I can see veins on my forehead where they weren’t visible before. This has been the worst thing I have ever done to my face. I want to cry, but I feel so ashamed for being so vain and wanting to just look a little younger. I should have been happy with my face before. I am happy that some people have been able to tighten up their skin using this device. But, I am so upset that any cushion under my skin is now gone--I am at a loss for words. I cancelled my last appointment which was the fourth one. I highly suggest that anyone doing this for fine lines and wrinkles just skip the Apollo because I do not believe these negative effects are reversible. I look much older than I feel. If you would like to know the name of the spa that I had this horrible treatment done, please comment me below. I will also provide pictures if you want.
A spa--name available upon request

Hi there! Sorry to read about your painful experience. I wanted to buy a handheld device call TriPollar STOP but after hearing your story I am a little skeptical to use on my eye puffiness. However i saw a video and it says it should be a warming and comfortable sensation on the skin during this treatment. And they warn not to go over the same surface area on the skin for more than 2 times and in gentle circular motion. Did she also apply any prep gel to your face? Really hope you will regain your confidence again. Please continue whatever you are doing to grow back your tissues and do update us!
Well, my husband who has been extremely silent about this entire matter to me has now piped-up and he is dead set against me posting pics of myself online. This being the case, I will refer back to my previous position. I will respond to requests for the name of the spa and B&A pics via private message.
Ugh! Going through these pics has been a real downer. My family is against me posting any pics of myself online as well. I’m still thinking I should go ahead with it--at least a couple.
Hello everyone. I’m still waiting for my face to return to normal and growing less hopeful that it will happen. Pollogen, the manufacturer of the Tripollar Apollo, has contacted me and they are conducting an investigation concerning my experience. At this point, I’m seriously thinking about posting before and after pictures for all to see. I’ve also been thinking about revealing the name of the spa where I had the treatment done. I didn’t do this earlier because I wanted to give the spa an opportunity to compensate me for the damage done or at least return the unused portion of my payment for the procedure. Despite my repeated attempts to contact the spa owner and negotiate for something--anything--the owner finally contacted me and said that the best she could do is offer product or services for the unused portion of my payment. She also offered me a free session of her spa’s newest device called “skin pen” which she claimed would return the lost volume to my face. However, the last time we spoke--which was weeks ago--she claimed that she would contact her accountant regarding permission to refund me $125 for the unused portion of the botched procedure. Haven’t heard from her since. I had this procedure done with the Tripollar Apollo based upon her own insistence that it was the safest, most effective, and most natural-looking way for me to eliminate fine lines and wrinkles around my mouth. We all know how effective that was! After this experience, I believe that the spa owner took advantage of me when I was in a very vulnerable position. I have never been treated so unethically by any sort of commercial institution. Furthermore, I contacted another spa regarding the “skin pen” treatment and they assured me that this device would NOT return the lost volume to my face but that this device is typically used on faces with acne scars which I do not have.
Sorry, I meant to type $150 refund, not $125.
If you can please post photos. I have been using this machine for 2 years now and have never had such an experience with my clients. I can't imagine what they possibly could have done to get such a dramatic negative result.
If you can please post the B&A photos. I have been using this machine for 2 years now and have never experienced such a dramatic negative result. I can't even begin to imagine what they did for that to happen.
I’m sure you don’t appreciate negativity about the Tripollar because this device is making you money. I don’t want to prove anything by my photos other than to show people what I’m talking about when I say I lost volume to my face. I am working on photo selection right now. The spa I went to does not take before and after photos, so I took the liberty of taking my own. One lesson I’ve learned after this experience is that I will always consult with my dermatologist before going full force into any cosmetic procedure.
Ack! I didn’t mean to sound judge-y when I said the Tripollar is making you money. It sounds like you have had nothing but success and happy clients within your two years using the TA. Obviously there is a right and wrong way to use the machine, and obviously some clients will see better results than others. I’m going to send you a private message with a few before and after pics. I am at a loss as to what exactly the technician was doing--or what settings she was using--while doing my procedure. I will tell you that there is no dermatologist or doctor at this spa. The girl who did my procedure is not an esthetician. I found out while she was doing one of the procedures that she had only handled the TA “a few times”. No one assisted her at any time during any of the three procedures. I still have been unsuccessful in procuring my patient file from the spa owner. She said she faxed the info to my dermatologist, but my dermatologist never got the fax.
Time for an update. I literally just completed my long-awaited dermatologist visit. The verdict: only time will tell. I showed her my before and after pictures as well as received an examination of my make-upless face in her office. She said the pictures really helped her examine the differences. After looking at my skin, she told me that I would not have to worry about scar tissue in my epidermal layers (which wasn’t really a worry of mine) and that my skin has improved since the injury. She did see that there had been fat necrosis going on and that my swollen lymph nodes on the side of my neck immediately following the treatment was an indication of that. She acknowledged that my facial volume is not 100% what it once was and that it has a more angular shape as well as volume loss in my cheek areas. She wants me to continue doing what I’ve been doing with the supplements and work on naturally healing my skin and face. I am scheduled to see her in two more months. She also told me that at this time she doesn’t recommend injections for the volume loss because my face is still recovering as well as the concern that it could “go the other way” and result in a puffy facial appearance. She was a very young looking dermatologist, and I have heard that older dermatologists who have been practicing for at least a couple decades are the best to visit regarding these sort of problems. They generally have seen and treated more patients with radio frequency complications. That being said, she could not answer my question of if my face will ever fill out again. Her only recommendation was that it would take more time to heal, that it had improved, and that she was confident it would eventually recover fully. At this point, I’m going to keep on keeping on. I’ll update again as changes continue.
Heartsafire, how is your skin doing?
Hello there. Well, I go to see my dermatologist in a couple of days. I’ll give a report after those findings. But for now, I have seen some changes that would be good to report. About a week and a half ago (about the time of my last posting on this website) I started to notice my jawline was softening and slackening. The skin is in no way firm or youthful looking, however, it appears to be returning to a more normal thickness. That being said, I’m still concerned about my cheeks. I’ve noticed the smile lines around my mouth have gotten deeper and new lines are appearing. While my skin thickness may be returning to it’s normal state, what is obvious is that the tissue around my cheekbones still doesn’t have a normal plumpness. What I’m thinking is going on--and this is just my observation, not info from my doctor--is that the fat around my cheekbones that gave my cheeks a nice definition is no longer there. As my skin returns to it’s normal thickness, it doesn’t have the volume under it to give it a shapely structure, so it sort of sags and droops, which is especially noticeable around my mouth and jawline giving my face a heavier appearance on the bottom than on top. I had always looked younger than my age, but I’ve lost that youthful advantage. What I am happy for is my health, my family, and the hope that everything will eventually work itself out. In the meantime, I’ve gained an extra 5 lbs although my body puts most of that fat around my waist instead of in my cheeks! I would pay ten times the amount I paid for this Apollo procedure to have my original face back. Does anyone have a time machine I could borrow?
42 degrees Celsius is burning mode. Honestly the tripolar results are amazing when used properly. Tech needs to keep temp at 40 or below for maintenance.
Hello. Sounds like you have some experience with the Tripollar Apollo. I’m curious if you might know about the long term results? Do they typically last a long time if not continuously treated and will the fat come back? A friend of mine told me that DNA dictates where our bodies will store fat so my face will probably plump back up. One study I read about online showed how the Apollo effects are enhanced when working on tissue that is closely connected to muscle tissue--like on the face. The muscle tissue has web-like membranes that act like conductors around the fat which heats up the fat more effectively. This explains how areas of my face (like the bridge of my nose) that weren’t touched by the actual Tripollar wand experienced “tightening” and enhanced the protruding of what was once a very slight nasal hump. Sorry if I got off topic. I’m anxious to hear about the long-term effects from someone who can give me their real opinion based upon experience rather than a doctor trying to promote a procedure or a biased study promoting a device.
https:**removed website address as 3rd party links not permitted on the site*** This is a link to the FDA where you can let them know your story and possibly file a complaint. I actually found it from a post where somebody experienced a similar incident as me using the Thermage. I’m posting it for anyone out there who might be suffering from facial volume loss from this device--or worse. I understand that there are techs and physicians out there who handle the Apollo better than others. However, the fact remains that this is a device used on our bodies and with little known as to the long term effects. Take care all:)
What was the name of the spa please? I live in Magnolia and I'm searching for a decent and knowledgeable spa.
Hi mialikey. I sent you a private message to answer your question. Hope you got it.
Hello everyone. It has been over two weeks since my forever final tripollar facial session. The results have not changed much. I still have a significant loss of volume in the cheek area, and the fine lines and wrinkles have not improved. Despite all of this, I am trying my best to be patient and to improve my face naturally (although it’s getting pretty tempting to resort to juvederm voluma and/or other injections). Daily, I am taking hyaluronic acid supplements, glucosamine/chondroitin/msm supplements, juicing with fresh ingredients including kale and organic flax seed oil, and increasing my sleep schedule to 11 hours instead of 8. While I have not seen an improvement in volume, I have seen a vast improvement in the color of my skin. My facial tone was looking quite dismal and grey after the treatments. However, I believe the supplements and improved nutrients have helped bring back a youthful color. I did visit my primary care physician who referred me to a dermatologist. I will update you after that appointment. I also visited the spa where I had the treatment done, and they are reviewing my patient files to be sure my treatments were performed properly. The spa owner suggested I may have a different fat cell structure than most people and that is why my fat cells shrunk so badly. I hope this isn’t the case, but I guess only time will tell at this point.
I'm sorry you had such a God-awful experience. I was a trainer in NYC for the Apollo device and own my own spa doing the treatments. That technician had the power setting way too high for you. It is supposed to feel like a warm stone massage, not hot coals. It is possible to get the skin temperature to 40 degrees without burning and zapping the patient by setting the power level lower and moving the wand slower. Its a good thing you cancelled the last appointment, your face needs time to heal. It will improve with the lines, but to recapture the fullness you will have to up your caloric intake and the fat cells will increase in size. They haven't been removed from your body, just shrunk. The Apollo is an amazing device and I've had amazing results with my clients, but like anything else in the world if it is in the hands of someone who doesn't know or understand what they are doing, it could be dangerous.
Thank you for that information. I’ve started adding more olive oil to my meals and I’m snacking more often too. Also, I’ve heard good things about Glucosamine and MSM as far as rebuilding the skin tissue goes, so I’ve started taking those regularly. I am glad there are people who know what they are doing with the Apollo so thank you for that.
I am so sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with this treatment :(  I am certainly glad that you decided to share your review with us to help others that are searching this procedure. Have you looked into any corrective treatments for the thinning of your skin and the aging impact?
Yes, I am very worried about the thinning of my skin. I am only 34 years old, so I am hopeful that I have many years ahead of me to reverse the damage. However, I’m a little afraid to get into injectables just yet. I’m trying more conservative things for now--collagen and tissue repairing supplements along with increasing caloric intake. If things don’t improve by the end of the year I am going to consult with a dermatologist for recommendations on what to do. Fortunately, the burn marks are fading, but I’m still startled when I look in the mirror.
Good plan to resolve this. One supplement that I highly recommend (I am not an expert, just from personal research and experience) is adding oils such as hemp, flax seed, fish, coconut as they contain essential fatty acids such as  omega 3 and 6 which will greatly improve your skin along with other things. I would recommend using the liquid form as it will absorb into the body better, and I would highly recommend using a very good quality pure organic hemp oil. When using coconut oil, buy the unrefined and add to smoothies or it's wonderful on toast or raw desserts. I also recommend juicing, if you don't have a juicer use your blender, there are many videos on the internet you can find that will guide you on juicing. I believe that food is medicine, and if you flood your body with much needed micro and macro nutrients, antioxidants and EFA's y etc...your body should respond by reversing damage and begin to heal. The key is, get rid of highly processed foods and refined sugar and switch to a more natural way of eating. Get lots of rest and as hard as it may be, reduce your stress, stress is very damaging to the body and weaken your immune system. I understand you are struggling with this, but instead of looking in the mirror and being upset, try looking in the mirror and accept what has happened and tell yourself you will fix this and that you are beautiful. Please stay in touch with us and document how you are doing, I feel that with a positive outlook and a healthy balanced diet, rest, good hydration you can recover from this. When you look back in a few months lets hope that you are posting positive changes, and I am confident within time you will be, my fingers are crossed for you.
I really appreciate your sincere advice. I do have a juicer at home that I love to use, and--wow--hemp oil I never would have thought about that. I have heard Omega 3’s and 6’s are great for the skin, so for sure I’ll be adding them to my supplement list. Right now I am taking a Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM supplement, a Hyaluronic Acid supplement, Vitamin E softgels, a hair skin and nails supplement, biotin, and I even found an effervescent tablet form of Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM (although the dosage is low). Again, thank you for that post. I’ll continue updating everyone as time progresses and what changes may come.
You are most welcome :) MSM is great  for your skin (and hair) it will help produce collagen. Look forward to your updates.