Journey to the New Me Through Gastric Sleeve Surgery - Macon, GA

I have never been small. My weight has been like...

I have never been small. My weight has been like a yoyo constantly going up and down. I will lose weight then I'll gain it back. My breaking point was when I gained 15 pounds after being switched from one blood pressure med to another. I think I felt disappointed in myself for even allowing myself to gain the weight. It was more like a wake up call with me knowing that I need to do something to improve my quality of life. Well I'm nervous about this whole process so I haven't really had time to be excited because my nerves are in high gear. I just need positive feedback and this site has help me to see the positive in several different post.
Welcome and thanks for sharing your experience with us!

Good luck with your tests and requirements. I know they can be time consuming and sometimes and inconvenience, but they are the road to a better life for you and your family. You can do this and we will all be here to support you!

Keep us updated with your progress!
Welcome to our happy little group. Everyone is very supportive so if you have any questions please let us know, and know you won't be going through this alone! A lot of people say the same about the sleep study, I didn't need one but it can't be easy to sleep when you're attached to machines!
It's not easy to sleep!! Thanks for bein supportive.

Yesterday I was a busy bee

All in one day, I did a Psych Evaluation, Exercise Counseling and Signed Patient Advisory. I'm just waitin on Sleep Study, PCP recommendation and Medical cleareance. Lastly, the most important one is Insurance approval. Please pray for me because yes I'm nervous.
Lots of cool new people! Everyone has been very supportive on here since I had my sleeve five weeks ago, don't feel you're alone in this. It's the best thing I ever did!
Thanks for being supportive!
Always! We've all been where you are and we all needed support (still do). :-)

Wow, you did have a lot done in one day! Keeping you in my thoughts and hoping you get your approval through!

Just down right frustrated!

The other day I get a call from the reception from my doctor office telling me that they want me to get a cardiac clearance due to my cpap results. I was really pissed because I haven't even gotten my results. The doctor that did my result was backward. How are your going to call another company for me to setup an appointment to purchase a CPAP machine when you haven't even discussed my results with me? I did my sleep apnea at home test on July 2nd and I know that we had a major holiday that could affect business but I figure if this Sleep company could call me to schedule an appointment to purchase a CPAP machine then they could have schedule my appointment earlier to get my results. I was upset because I thought they did it a*s backward. So I took it upon myself to call my insurance company to see can I get a 2nd opinion due to this home machine kept falling off my head waking me up and beside it wasn't comfortable sleeping with a heavy band on my head. Beside that night I did not sleep well due to the strap on this machine kept coming off of my head about 4 or 5 times. So I verified through my insurance company that I could go through consultation as long as it's precertified. I decided to go to the facility to take the test instead of doing it on my own. Then I notified my doctor reception to let her know I was getting a 2nd opinion on this sleep apnea issue. I also talked with my brother who has had a sleep study done and suggested that I go sleep in at the center then also compare results with this other doctor. So we will see if I have Sleep Apnea because right now I don't believe it until this other doctor tells me. Now I got to get some Cardiac Clearance which is more money out of the pocket but I'm going to handle it like a PRO and pray that whatever Cardiac test turns out okay. So next week I have several appoints: Sleep study consultation & Cardiac clearance then lastly will be PCP recommendation and Medical Clearance then the ball will be in the Insurance court. Hopefully I will be approved!!!1
Sounds like you have it all under control, but it does sound frustrating. If you don't have apnea will it affect your insurance covering surgery?

Clearance Clearance!!

Yesterday was kind of stressful due to whatever results that was sent concerning my sleep apnea I had to get a Cardiac clearance. I was stressed just thinking about it. I did an EKG which they told me was a little abnormal. So then they follow that up with an Echo which came out normal. So my Heart is healthy. I asked about the abnormal result and the doctor said it could be stressed or the way my heart is position in my chest. He asked me about my physical activities. I walk and do zumba 5 days a week. I was so happy after the result especially my Echo turned out okay. It made me want to continue on exercise and pull the HEALTHY ME out.
I'm two month out and understand the frustration of it all. Long story short I was to have the surgery in late Dec 2013, in the end I had it 5/19/14. I would do it all again; nerves and all to start my new life. I wish you all the luck with your journey, It is worth it. For me it is going so slow but as each day passes I'm starting to get back so much of my life and You will too. My prayers and sleeve buddy support and of course in faith of God all will be well.
I'm really pleased for you.

Sleep....sleep...sleep Apnea

I had my follow up with the doctor concerning my Sleep apnea results. I think I was more on guard due to me having to get a Cardiac clearance. Actually my results was not as bad as I thought it would be. He told me that I have mild sleep apnea and I stop breathing about 11 times during the night. I talked with him about me refluxing during the night and told him that sometimes it feels like a lump is in my throat and unbeknownst to me I sometimes swallow to see if I can get rid of the lump. He said my reflux could also contribute to my sleep apnea and he's not going to treat it since I'm loosing weight. You know what that means.....NO CPAP machine. woo hoo!!!!! So I was happy with his results then decided I no longer wanted a 2nd opinion especially since in my heart I know my insurance probably going to end up charging me a lot for that 2nd opinion. Lesson learned....be patient!
Thank you and I'm praying that God cover me and watch over me during my sleeve surgery. I'm slowly but surely getting all of my requirements done and looking forward to a new life.

Feeling like a BEAST

I forgot to tell you guys that I'm so committed to this that I decided to go through the steps for the weight loss surgery...liquid, soft food, etc. I'm back to regular food and I have been monitoring what I get through myfitnesspal.com. This is a great app. I have been exercising like a BEAST. My goal is to lose a dress size before my surgery. I'm down 18lbs and counting!!!! So wish me well!
Wonderful!!!! Keep pushing!!!
Thanks,

Dragging this morning

I'm dragging this morning. I know it is because I didn't get enough sleep last night and I really hate feeling tired. But the good news today is that I’m down 19.4 lbs. I have my final appointment for my requirements today. It's my Medical Clearance. So wish me well!!! The Financial Advisor told me that I can set my date in September or October. I'm leaning toward October due to my nephew having a major surgery and I want to be there for him. Yes, this Auntie loves her nephew to the moon and back. Happy Friday!!!
Enjoyed your blog and hopefully we'll be having surgery near eachother. I'm just getting started on this journey. My insurance does not cover this surgery so I'm doing self-pay which means no messing and waiting for the insurance. I'm hoping to get to the front of the surgery line since I have the money. Good luck.....
You are blessed not to have to deal with insurance approval. I had to jump through a lot of hoops going to different doctors to put me one step closer to this surgery. I wish you the best on your journey!!
Barkster1 - 19.4 lbs all by yourself, well done, you sound pretty fit! Thanks for sharing your journey. I've still got just over 2 months before my sleeve operation but that's okay. My Dr doesn't require any weight loss or special diet pre op, but after reading so many Drs do, I'll certainly consider taking on board. It might help me post op, if I go to protein shakes or light healthy food as most do. I sure wish I could lose weight but I'd not be having the sleeve done if I could do that myself. I'll sure try each day to eat healthy and forgive myself by slips. I'll look forward to reading more from you.

Feeling Really Sick today

I'm not going to let the sickness rule me but my body needed the rest today and tomorrow I'm easing back into my exercise routine.
Good luck on your journey
Purplepassion70 thank you
Thank-you....I wish the best to you also.

Mixed Emotion

Today is suppose to be a happy day for me. I finally got my date for my Surgery. Oct 20th but I have mixed emotion. I guess I'm sad because I couldn't lose the weight on my own. I'm excited, nervous and sad at the same time. Today I need a little bit of encouragement.
I hear you. You're going to be in such a great place soon. 19 lbs is accomplishment you should be proud. Congratulations!!!
MrsWoodley...Thank you so much!
I know how you feel * I'm going thru the steps with Dr appt's and all I'm from Maryland I have been heavy all my life . Don't get me wrong I love me and my body lls but health wise is not good . For me being 36 now I want to lose it and keep it off if God willing . Your post was inspirational =)

Approval for Insurance

I didn't have time to update Friday, Sept 5th, but I got approve by my insurance so I was pretty happy about that.
Yay just got my approval today!
Jennerferd, well done, do you have a date?
Jenniferd41477....Congrats!

About to be on the loser bench

My surgery date is almost here. Oct 20th to be exact, I'm on my liquid diet now and whew the first day is the hardest and you can guest my first day is today. I feel so hungry and feeling like I can eat a horse....lol....not exactly a horse!!! Please pray for me because I will soon be on the loser bench.
thinking of you and hoping your surgery went well!
It's great to sit on the losers bench, been there 22 days and I'm loving it....you will also. The pre-surgery liquid diet is hard but you will get thru it with hopefully a good start on your weight loss journey. I actually lost 12# the 3 weeks before surgery and have lost 16.5# the 3 weeks since surgery. I'm looking forward to having you join me on the losers bench soon.
Dr. Vaughn

I have not yet had my surgery. I'm in the process of meeting all of requirements. I have meet with the nutrition, UGI and sleep study (which I didn't sleep to good with the home study and now they claim I have sleep apnea. I don't believe it because i didn't even go into REM sleep). Now I have to buy a CPAP machine which is a waste of money but to qualify for this surgery. It's something that has to be done. I have attended both support & Seminar group. I only have four things left to do this darn CPAP machine, Psych evaluation, exercise counseling and PCP recommendation then I'll see will my insurance approve this surgery.