Lower Facelift for Premature Aging

I am 45 years old and have needed a facelift since...

I am 45 years old and have needed a facelift since my 40th birthday. That was when my age caught up with me and I experienced the sagging jowls, loose chin, and wrinkling skin typical of women 10-20 years older than me. It was like it happened all at once. I had a facelift in April and I can now safely look back on the “former me.” My doc did a lower facelift and gave me extensive aftercare instructions. It is important to follow these because many people, not just doctors, who have been there before you have had input. So what they say about bromelaine, arnica montana, sodium intake and bags of frozen peas are all true. The first five days post-op I was horrible. I couldn’t eat or even sip through a straw without pain. I also had a greater sensitivity to hot and cold. After that first weekend my pain cleared considerably and I could start chewing enough to eat again. Throughout this I was also having panic attacks and regret about what I’d done to myself. Not the best time. I looked like I’d been though a war with all the bandages. When those came off and the stitches came out I felt much better about myself. Also, that was when I began to see the results through the swelling. I think that was my biggest fear: that I had done all of this and put myself through the pain and it wouldn’t have made a difference. I aged early. Why wouldn’t I believe it was permanent? Now I have the neck and chin of someone half my age and do feel it was worth it.

Who is the surgeon?
What kind of arnica did you have face cream arnica or pills?
I am in the recovery phase of a lower facelift, upper/lower eye lift. It has been 4 days since surgery. I have taken 4 vicodin. Mainly to relax and sleep sitting upright at night on pillows. I have slight discomfort around my ears only 3/10.I don't want to take alot of medication as it slows healing some. The drain was removed yesterday and that eased the chin pressure. The surgery is not really painful. I am still swollen but my neck is definitely tight and the jaw line seems very defined. The hard part is staying still 24 hours a day. I am active and a clean freak. I also have 4 spoiled dogs to care for. I had twilight sleep for the procedure and felt nothing. Woke up easily. Nausea slightly when I first walked. However when you lay down it subsides as it is related to a fluctuation in b/p. Recline the car seat on the way home. Get right into bed! It was the way to go....I came home after surgery. I had my husband help a little initially walking with me. I had prepared the room and bed with pillows, eye moisturizer drops,trash can, dry gauze. Set up a sterile bowl of iced saline gauze for my eyes, in another larger bowl of ice and just reapplied my own iced compresses and emptied my own drain 3x a day. I don't think you need to stay in the hospital post procedure. Have a resource available, I did most everything myself. Drank 7up/water and had chicken broth with a beaten egg in it the first night. You don't chew much the first few days as it pulls on the jaw and the dressing is tight. I am also on arnica and lots of vitamin C, B, calcium, magnesium as well as antibiotics.
Robin, don't make me get up! Who was your surgeon??
did you ever find out the name of the surgeon? did you do it? I want a lower face lift but am concerned about getting the best surgeon and about scars. Thanks for reply Stephanie
Did you get the name of the surgeon?
I just read the post above. Yikes! "Severe pain"....now, I'm even more nervous! I've scheduled a brow lift, upper eye lift and lower facelift and I don't think I have a very good threshold for pain. The pain is one of the biggest worries I have. I'm prone to anxiety anyway so I guess I'm glad to know that someone has had these kind of issues. I'll have to make sure to stock up my valium! ;) It's wonderful to hear that you're so happy with your results. If you're still reading the boards, I'd be interested to know how long it was before all of the swelling went down and your real final results showed up. Since it's been over a year since your surgery, I'd love to hear how you feel about it today.
I guess everyone is different. I had a lower facelift a week ago and you can't even tell I had it done. I stayed in the hospital for a day for observation. I had a local and was awake during the entire procedure, but they give you some medication to help you relax. I told my doctor about the horror stories I have read on the internet. He then went over and explained everything to me and made me feel much better. He told me that he would be surprised if I needed more than a couple pain pills following surgery. He was right. The only discomfort I had during the surgery was from administering the local around my ears, but I was too relaxed from the medication to care. A few hours later I had enough discomfort to ask for a Percocet, but that was about it. No biggie. I had much stronger pain killers available to me, but I didn't need it. On a scale of 1 - 10, my pain was about a 4 or 5. The Percocet made me sleepy and when it wore off about four hours later, I asked for another one just because my husband said why suffer at all. But it started to subside anyway; and by the end of the day, I was just really sore, but not sore enough that I needed to take anything. I think at that point they just gave me some Tylenol. My doctor has a very special menu for his patients at the hospital and I had fillet mignon, a baked potato and creamed spinach for dinner that night and was able to eat and chew with absolutely no problem. Yum! By nightfall I did not need anything for pain. It just felt like a bruise around my jawline and ears. I had to position my pillows so as not to sleep on the sore areas. It wasn't even throbbing like my doctor said it might. My bandages came off three days later and I had practically no swelling at all with just some light bruising on the sides of my neck. My doctor did a flawless job. It's been just a week post-op and unless you look under my hair, you can't tell that I had a lower facelift. I have numbness and tightness around my neck and the sides of my jawline, but that should go away completely in a few months. My mouth, chin, ears and upper cheek area and above are completely normal with no numbness. I can eat, chew, turn my head, smile as normal with no pain at all. The bruising is almost completely gone now and it's only been a week. I get the final round of stitches out in three days. I couldn't be happier.
RobinK who was your surgeon?
Yes Robin K ...who was your doctor? Sounds like you had a great experience-that is great!