26 Year Old Implants Removed Today! Los Gatos, CA

After having implants for almost half my life,...

After having implants for almost half my life, they came out today. I was wide awake with no sedation and it took about 40 mins total. My surgeon, Dr. Howard Sutkin, made this so easy. I'm home now with no GA hangover and feel fantastic. I had shoulder and neck pain all the time and I feel such a relief right now. I am so happy to see those implants on the other side! They were double luman implants (not even made anymore) both ruptured. Also, I had subglandular implants so that helped a lot as far as the ease and comfort of the procedure. This was so worth doing, I feel so much better already!

Tried on bras today!

For anyone who is going to have their implants removed, a great bra for support that also looks good is the Bali Comfort Revolution. They are wire free but act like a wire. No one has been able to tell I've had an explant surgery. There isn't much difference at this point, just a little tiny bit deflated. Very surprising after all these years.

Feeling better and better everyday! Wearing a bra I haven't been able to!

I'm so happy! It's SO nice to not have any pain in the chest and shoulder area of my left side. Also, I've had bras that I loved that I could not wear anymore. I had ONE sprots bra that I could wear or nothing at all and that was it in the last months before my explant. I'm now wearing the most COMFY fun bra that looks great. I really should have only gotten lift back then, not implants. I really see that now more than ever. They didn't really know at that time and to the PS's credit, I was young and he may not have wanted to scar me up or not do a lift before child bearing years were over. Also, in 1988 it seemed that everyone was getting implants. Luckily my breasts look the same or even better now than they did back then before the BA. Don't know why that is. I'm looking at doing a lift now. Will see on Tues on check up.; So sorry I'm a chicken about posting photos. I know lots of people and I'm not being courageous about that part. I may get up the courage to post photos if/when I do my lift. Looking good and feeling good! Thanks to all who post, respond and support on this site! Couldn't have done as well without it, I'm sure. :)

Implant Removal After 26 Years - And Then Breast Lift.

This is a continuation of another review I did regarding my implant removal. I don't have photos of when I had the implants in but they didn't look or feel that great after having them in for 26 years. I have posted photos post explant though, and post opp breast lift today. My story is very similar to many others here. After breast feeding a child and then losing weight, doing aerobics, bouncing up and down without a good bra for many years, I became a bit saggy in my early 30s. I was a 36 C so my size was ok but everything sat too low! In 1988 I went to a plastic surgeon and he didn't like the idea of me having scars with a lift at my age and suggested implants to "lift" things up. It's now known that a lift is minimal with implants alone. But then, it seemed like a good idea. I was also told the implants would add volume and a rounder shape which they did. So, I had the implants put in, subglandular. I liked them, didn't have any issues with them
initially. But, I did notice that things still sat too low, and, I had to wear an even MORE supportive bra than before. This is something I didn't like from the beginning. Also, I developed capsular contraction right away in the left breast. The surgeon tried squeezing it with his hands - OUCH! - and that didn't work. I got used to things over the years. I heard about the auto immune disease scare in the 90s, and wondered from time to time if I should remove them. When I would ask a doc during an exam about removing them after 15, or so, years, they would always say, "If they're not bothering you, don't worry about it". I wished I had gotten them out when they WEREN'T bothering me.The years went by and this last April I noticed pain in my left breast, chest, shoulder, upper back, and general body aches (the aches started around 40 or so years post) that were all pretty constant. In April, I also felt a buldge in the top of the left breast. At the same
time, the left breast become harder and harder. Meanwhile, regular mammograms were all coming out normal. I did find out later that the buldge was seen on the mammograms but I wasn't told about it until I asked. They said that they only let you know that you don't have a mass or cancer, not ruptures etc. Only if you look up and ask for records! Not thrilled about that. So anyway, I asked my surgeon, Dr. Howard Sutkin about removal. I had done procedures with him before, they were great and he was the only one I trusted to work with me on this. When we first talked about removal he mentioned replacing the implants with a lift. At this point I hadn't decided on a removal without replacement, I assumed I would just get new implants. I went home, looked at this awesome site further and saw so many women that removed implants and looked great! This site has been a huge help with insight, support and guidance. I also began to realize that having something foreign in my body was not for me (I know, I'm slow, it took 26 years!). Now, being in my 50s, I did not want to go for more surgery to remove yet another set of implants in my late 60s or early 70s!! Arthritis will surely be enough to deal with! So, I went back to tell my surgeon that I wanted a removal and a lift. No more implants for me. He's such a nice, caring man. He did not try to talk me out of it, he didn't tell me how awful I would look, he said, "great, we'll do it under local". Yay! So, that is what we did. It was SO easy, and quick. The implants were ruptured which didn't surprise me.I was concerned about what artifacts he would find in there! But all went smoothly. I immediately felt better after removal and am feeling better each day. I felt lighter, happier and free of something that was always in the back of my mind to worry about. Of course this procedure can be different for everyone depending on surgeon recommendations and what
needs to be done in regards to anesthesia. As far as my health goes in regards to the implants, I think there was possibly an immune response, not auto-immune response, to the implants. I found that I didn't get richer, prettier, or have wonderful men chasing me down the street because I had "perfect" boobs! I wished that I hadn't gotten the implants, they really didn't change my life for the better. I could have had a lift and possibly been happy. I was athletic at the time and really looked fine. I'm happy that I have chosen not to get implants again.This is just such a relief. I also realized that I didn't really look that bad before I got them and I'm not that bad now, just more droopy after having implants in. So, today I had my breast lift and they look like what I should have had many years ago. Now they're bandaged up, to be revealed Monday! . I will update as things they progress, and I heal. Thanks to all of the nice ladies that posted
their photos, shared their insight, stories, and realities that actually made it easier for me to come to this decision.

Adding to something that I had mentioned in my update

One of the great things about this site is that you learn from others here. I mentioned in my last update that implants are FDA approved and there are studies that show they are safe. A couple of surgeons on this site and in other places I've seen it is said that they were the most studied prostheses. I mentioned it because of the lack of information that I have from other studies, I didn't feel that I could say much about implants factually except my own experiences and what has been published in the media. A very nice poster here suggested a book by Dr. Kolb and I'm going to be checking it out to learn more. I enjoy learning from others and it's one of the things I love about this site. My own experiences haven't been great in my later years of having implants and that's what I'll continue to share and stay neutral on the subject. Thanks for reading! And, thanks for sharing H & H! So helpful!

Feeling great with Frankenboobs!

I've read enough on this awesome site to know that the Frankenboobs I have right now are only temporary. Just saw Dr. Sutkin and he said they are healing even better than expected. It is normal for the puckering that you see in the photo. Tissue and skin was rearranged as they were fairly saggy and the nipple was very low on me. I've also read on this site that that happens and it's normal. I wanted to post this photo and pay it forward to that when others get this done they don't wonder what the heck they did! Even when you're told, it's still shocking to see this. However, you can see the potential after some healing. I will continue to post pics. Also, I'm feeling so much better just having my implants OUT. What a difference. Clothes look great on me again. I know longer have the big boobed amazon - matronly look anymore. Whew!
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Sutkin is just awesome. He's comforting and gentle. He's a board certified plastic surgeon with F.A.C.S. and lectures and teaches at Stanford University here in California. I am very happpy with this surgeon and would highly recommend him.

So awesome! I bet it's wonderful to see your nips raised up higher huh? They will definitely look better each day - they already look amazing to me! Thanks so much for the pics! You are SO right about being aware of what is normal now that we get to see the pics and read the stories on realself! This is the best site ever!!
So glad it's helpful NTTs!! :))
Wow....you can totally see that they are going to look beautiful once healed! You are so right about having seen all the pixs on this site and it's so reassuring to KNOW this. Thank you JoeLooseSkin for paying it forward....we all so appreciate it! Healing wishes your way!!!!
Aww, thank you, H & H! Appreciate the support. Have to get through the Halloween boob stage! LOL
You look great! What a nice improvement.
Thank you so much! It means a lot to have someone compliment them when the look a bit freakish! LOL I was looking at the photos next to each other. The the pre lift photo from today looked like my boobs were almost tubular with the nipples at the bottom. Today they were rounder, especially near the bottom with the nipples up where they should be. Very happy!!
Seriously, they don't look freakish! We all looked freakish when we HAD the implants in....that's my thinking! Post explant....soft, natural and beautiful!
That's true, H & H. I thought my breasts looked SO weird, especially at the end. I'm so happy just NOT to have the implants anymore. Makes such a difference. At least with the lift I'm not putting something back in my body again. Yay. And thank you!!
I read Dr. Kolbs book (as recommended by H & H) and it was very eye opening to me. I have long thought that there was a correlation to my implants and my diagnosis wis Crohns Disease (an autoimmune disease) and my years of intense joint pain. Just the other day I had an appointment with my rheumatologist and mentioned to him that I was having my silicone implants removed and that I was hopeful that I would have some relief from my joint pain an he went into the spiel about there being no evidence blah blah blah and that Doctors don't believe implants have anything to do with any of these pains/ illnesses and he basically was very condescending and I was basically very pissed off because HOW DARE he speak like that when I am the one with the pain and I am the one withe the implants..he could have at least said that anything that makes me hopeful of feeling better wouldn't hurt and wish me luck instead of being condescending about it. SO ANNOYING! My best friend has saline implants and also constant shoulder, neck and back pain as well as joint pain and fatigue etc an hadn't really thought about the implant connection until I brought it up to her and now she is researching it thoroughly. Unfortunately her husband thinks she's crazy, but then again he is completely IN LOVE with her big boobs and would be REALLY unhappy if she were flat chested. I feel so blessed to have a wonderful husband that only wants me to be happy and pain free - regardless of my bra size! Okay - that's my rant! -:D
That's awful that you were treated that way. I'm so sorry!! I did have shoulder, neck and back pain too. When I mentioned this to my surgeon he never once made me feel it was in my head or even mentioned the studies. When I told him I felt better after explanting he just said, that's great! Never said it was in my head. Go ahead and rant away! That's too bad about your best friend. It's not fun going through this and a lot of support is needed.
Preach on natutaltatas. Yeah one of the doctors I work with said there is no study that shows there is a correlation between implants and illness. He really couldn't understand why I wanted my implants out. We all need to keep preaching because there is a connection. My implants are gone and my joint pain and fatigue that I have suffered with for years is gone. I was better within days of my explant. I used to worry that I would end up in a wheelchair. My pain was intense in the morning. No its not in our heads. So glad that we are not listening to that junk. So proud of all the ladies on this site.
I'm very sorry to hear that you had that experience Naturaltatas - it doesn't surprise me and it's SO unfortunate that this is the stand so many doctors take. A very long time ago, I was one of the first people who tried an anti-depressant drug when it first came out (FDA approved). One of the side effects I experienced immediately was a diminished sexual libido. I repeatedly told my doctor over a two year period about this and his response was it was all in my head. That the studies do not show libido is affected. Few years later - low and behold - new studies show that Prozac can affect sexual libido. I WILL TRUST women, what they say and what they feel ANY DAY over the majority of most doctors. As women we are far more tuned into our bodies than men. WE have no agenda. I'm glad Naturaltatas that you found the book informative and it validated what you already knew. We are now at a place in our lives where we need to be proactive about what's in our best interest health-wise. We deserve that. Many of us did not have all the valid information we should have had about the makeup of the actual implant and the repercussions of the materials breaking down in our bodies at the time of shelf life. You know Naturaltatas I will be following your story very closely and cheering you on for not only an easy successful explant but more importantly for a future that is physically pain free. ** super soft hugs your way my friend! ** And thank you for always being so kind and compassionate on this site.
Thanks dogmommy1. MAJOR congrats to you that your pain is gone!!
That's amazing about the Prozac. I SO agree with you that women know their bodies and are so much more in tune than most docs. Thanks for the kind words H&H. You put a smile on my face. :-)
Thank you JoeLooseSkin for your story told on 9/26/14. I'm very happy for you to be at this place - on the other side - implant-free and now recovering from your breast lift. I have watched you follow others stories, always being loving and supportive. I look forward to seeing your pixs - I bet you are going to look gorgeous! I do want to say one thing that I did not agree with - so I respectfully disagree with your comment - ..."they are FDA approved, they are the most studied prostheses on the planet and have really shown no connections to disease, study-wise." They HAVE SHOWN connections to disease and THERE ARE studies to back it up. There is a very informative book written where this topic is discussed at length called "The Truth About Breast Implants" by Dr. Susan Kolb. Even prior to me reading this book I knew there had to be a correlation between implants and diseases. I have poured over so many women's profiles and have read so many stories where it makes sense that there would be a direct connection between implants and disease. I do not trust the FDA as they have over and over again placed "approved" products on the market only to later find out that the studies were manipulated in favor of the companies with the large profits. Okay, so as you can tell I'm a huge advocate of women going implant-free as well as talking any woman out of getting implants. That was just my two cents - more importantly...healing wishes your way, rest and take care of yourself! ** soft hugs **
Thanks so much for your input H & H. I don't disagree that there are problems with the implants. I don't have the info that you have from Dr. Kolb's book. I saw a video of hers that made sense to me in a big way, but, it sited no studies, just her own clicinal observations. That doesn't mean that what she said was wrong either. I can see that the way my post is written that it looks like I agree with everyone getting implants. I've recently talked two people out of getting them. But, what I meant was that I'm not a doctor, I haven't personally studied them and the very fact is that they are approved by the FDA. However, I know what you mean about the FDA as well. I've seen similar things that you have. You don't even want to get me started on that! LOL So, I get what you're saying but I personally lack information from studies that I obviously haven't read (Dr. Kolb's being one) to say one way or the other which is why I site my own experiences as those are the truest of all to me personally. My personal experience is what has convinced people to not get implants, not studies anyway. Funny how that goes. I will have to read Dr. Kolbs book. And, I should probably consider removing that part of my post as it comes off differently than it's meant. It's meant to say that they are out there, they are legal, etc. There may be studies showing the problems they cause but, implants are out there. Do I agree with it? From my personal experience and the women that have had problems here,no. Implants have caused me a lot of problems, so I'm with you But, I want to be concervative in speaking when I don't have all the knowledge except my own truth. Thank you again for caring and reponding to my post. Hugs back to you! :)
Xoxo to you!
:) xoxo I updated and mentioned Dr. Kolb's book. More info is better and I want to learn. Thanks for sharing!
I so very much appreciate your updated post JoeLooseSkin - WE ALL have so much to learn. Being open minded to listen to another person's point of view and simply consider the other side is a sign of true wisdom. I have learned a wealth of information from this site but more importantly, felt a connection to so many lovely ladies like you because of their openness in sharing their struggles, being vulnerable and quite often celebrating their acceptance of their bodies. ** soft hugs my friend **
Looking forward to hearing doubt your healing! I had body aches too. As we get older though, Arthritis isn't uncommon, so who knows. I do feel better however.nluckly the silicone was the very thick sticky type which doesnt migrate easily and my ip ants were sub glandular not under the muscle which I think helps. Good luck!
No need to apologize for not posting pixs...do it if/when you feel it's right. I'm glad you are feeling so comfortable with your natural self!
Thanks H and H!
2,800??? Maybe I need to just get a removal. I wonder if it's suggested to get a removal, then wait and get a lift latet. Or to just do both at t house edge same time. Of course most drs. Would tell you both just to get more money but wonder if it's good to remove and let heal to see exactly what you are working with?
I had my removal and am going to get a lift shortly. Going back to the surgeon next week so he can check to see if I'm ready and if not, reschedule another check up. I wanted to wait and see how things went. My implants were in for so long I just didn't feel comfortable and neither did he, doing it at the same time.
It seems that many ladies on here wait to see how they will look. My PS advised me to wait 4-6 months before making a breast lift decision. Highly unlikely that I will consider this.