26 Year Old Implants Removed Today! Los Gatos, CA

After having implants for almost half my life,...

After having implants for almost half my life, they came out today. I was wide awake with no sedation and it took about 40 mins total. My surgeon, Dr. Howard Sutkin, made this so easy. I'm home now with no GA hangover and feel fantastic. I had shoulder and neck pain all the time and I feel such a relief right now. I am so happy to see those implants on the other side! They were double luman implants (not even made anymore) both ruptured. Also, I had subglandular implants so that helped a lot as far as the ease and comfort of the procedure. This was so worth doing, I feel so much better already!

Tried on bras today!

For anyone who is going to have their implants removed, a great bra for support that also looks good is the Bali Comfort Revolution. They are wire free but act like a wire. No one has been able to tell I've had an explant surgery. There isn't much difference at this point, just a little tiny bit deflated. Very surprising after all these years.

Feeling better and better everyday! Wearing a bra I haven't been able to!

I'm so happy! It's SO nice to not have any pain in the chest and shoulder area of my left side. Also, I've had bras that I loved that I could not wear anymore. I had ONE sprots bra that I could wear or nothing at all and that was it in the last months before my explant. I'm now wearing the most COMFY fun bra that looks great. I really should have only gotten lift back then, not implants. I really see that now more than ever. They didn't really know at that time and to the PS's credit, I was young and he may not have wanted to scar me up or not do a lift before child bearing years were over. Also, in 1988 it seemed that everyone was getting implants. Luckily my breasts look the same or even better now than they did back then before the BA. Don't know why that is. I'm looking at doing a lift now. Will see on Tues on check up.; So sorry I'm a chicken about posting photos. I know lots of people and I'm not being courageous about that part. I may get up the courage to post photos if/when I do my lift. Looking good and feeling good! Thanks to all who post, respond and support on this site! Couldn't have done as well without it, I'm sure. :)
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Sutkin is just awesome. He's comforting and gentle. He's a board certified plastic surgeon with F.A.C.S. and lectures and teaches at Stanford University here in California. I am very happpy with this surgeon and would highly recommend him.

Looking forward to hearing doubt your healing! I had body aches too. As we get older though, Arthritis isn't uncommon, so who knows. I do feel better however.nluckly the silicone was the very thick sticky type which doesnt migrate easily and my ip ants were sub glandular not under the muscle which I think helps. Good luck!
No need to apologize for not posting pixs...do it if/when you feel it's right. I'm glad you are feeling so comfortable with your natural self!
Thanks H and H!
2,800??? Maybe I need to just get a removal. I wonder if it's suggested to get a removal, then wait and get a lift latet. Or to just do both at t house edge same time. Of course most drs. Would tell you both just to get more money but wonder if it's good to remove and let heal to see exactly what you are working with?
I had my removal and am going to get a lift shortly. Going back to the surgeon next week so he can check to see if I'm ready and if not, reschedule another check up. I wanted to wait and see how things went. My implants were in for so long I just didn't feel comfortable and neither did he, doing it at the same time.
It seems that many ladies on here wait to see how they will look. My PS advised me to wait 4-6 months before making a breast lift decision. Highly unlikely that I will consider this.
That is good to know and def. A question I will be asking. Keep us posted :)
You don't think u will get a lift? I will def. Need one but I think it might be wise to wait to see if there are any complications, etc. B4 doing the lift. I have so much scar tissue that I think the initial removal will be Enough trauma for one setting
Yeah, I think the amount of time to wait if probably individual too. At least with a lift you're not putting anything INTO he body, just reshaping it. That's more acceptable to me at this time. As I get older I may want to head off at the pass some drooping that will be coming soon with age. I was a 36 C when I got my implants and just needed a lift then, not implants. So I'm back to square one looking at getting a lift! Weird, after all this time. We'll see how things come out. I'm fine on waiting too. Feeling great.
Yes, I think it makes a difference too if you've had a lot of capsule work, removal of breast tissue, and if the implants were under or over muscle, on healing time?? I don't seem to be sore or anything. I just feel normal. Was sore the first day or so but not now. Didn't need drains etc. But, I think that's what my PS wants to see, how much healing needs to be done or if there's much at all before proceeding. He was not willing to do the lift in one sitting with the explant, that's for sure. He did want me to do them separately. I think it's probably a very individual thing. I can't see mine going back up to where they were before I wanted a lift in '88. That makes me consider doing it. So I'm just back to square one, which is actually great!
Thank you Joelooseskin for your update and congrats on the removal of them. I too will have a local anesthesia and hope to have a similarly easy procedure as you. I think you said it best - getting to this place of MAKING the decision to explant is far more encompassing than the actual procedure itself.
You're welcome! And I'm so excited for you. Local is the way to go. I think you do fine. Keep us posted. Would love to hear your experience as well. I'm still so thrilled and so happy I did this. I'm feeling great. Wishing you the best with your procedure.
Thank you - having everyone's support here means a lot!
I can sense your relief at having those things out! What are you most looking forward to now that they are gone?
Great question! I'm looking forward to wearing things that actually fit. T shirts, etc always look funny on me. I've already seen a great change in this. Plus the look of the 10 lb weight loss. I could not wear a normal bra because of discomfort. If I wore a bra that was supportive I couldn't wear it longer than an hour or two. I would like to wear tank tops that fit, look nice on me where I won't need to wear a weird bra with it. I'm also looking forward easier to read mammograms. Subglandular implants can obscure the readings. Also, it causes the breast tissue to look dense in the mammogram. The implant pushes the breast tissue together condensing it. This makes it difficult to get good readings on early cancers. What results are you hoping to see?
I am so happy to hear all went well. I would love to hear more as the days go on about how they look, feel, etc. I am having my 24 year old implants removed on October 1. I'm excited but very nervous too about loose or dimpling skin. And hey, we're practically neighbors. I'm in South San Jose. Just down the street.
Hey Neighbor! Glad you're close by! Sometimes I want to start some sort of group discussion for this. While I'm totally elated by having done this, I'm perplexed at the general consensus (and my own feelings) that so many woman feel that they need major surgery to look good, feel whole, feel better, or whatever the case is. I was already a 36C when I had them put in. I was athletic and looked great. They were 250cc Becker double luman implants with silicone on the inside luman and saline on the outside. These have been off market for some time now. I was awake so I saw them come out and what they looked like (couldn't wait!). After a quarter of a century it's not suprising that the left one was ruptured (at the bottom only near incision) but it came out very quickly. There was no saline on the outer part of the implant anymore! Ite was long gone! The one the right the looked as though it was run over by a truck! LOL. Silicone was everywhere but was thoroughly cleaned out. My surgeon said the capsules did not need to be removed. I have to say, when they came out there was a sense of instant relief. I was so, so happy immediately. When I got off the table I was standing up straight! My breasts don't look bad either. They sort of remind me of how they were before I got the implants. It looks like due to rupture of outer luman ahwile back, they were really only acting as 190ccs or less. So being that they weren't that big things may be fine. I'm planning on a lift anyway as that's what I should have had initially instead of getting implants. Also, look forward to looking about 10 lbs lighter!! :) I was disappointed many years ago right after getting the implants. There was a pic taken of me just after and I looked bulky, heavier, just at though I had gained weight. Please keep me posted on your procedure. I'm so happy for you. You will be thrilled and relieved. Please feel free to write, ask questions or just discuss anything concerning explants. I think because so many women got implants in the 80s and more in the 90s they are facing the music later on in life, sometimes with complications, most of the time not. But, it definitely takes mental energy, money and time out of your life to do this. As simple as the procedure was for me (I think due to my surgeon) it was a bit tougher coming to the decision, awaiting the procedure (the procedure was easier) and seeing the body change. Thanks for your reply!
When I had mine done, I was about a 34B and went to a 34DD. Now, after 24 years, some weight gain and age, I'm closer to a 34F. I'm thinking I'll still have significant breast size after explanting these puppies but it really doesn't matter to me. I am 5'8" with a medium sized frame and always felt like my implants balanced me out. I always loved them and never regretted them one bit. Last spring, I noticed my left side becoming hard and painful. Yep - capsular contracture. I guess after 24 years, they eventually wear out and give up. It's been progressing steadily over the summer so those breasts I loved are now breasts I HATE. I'm certain that my left side (if not my right as well) has ruptured. I contemplated replacing them, but I want to try just being free and natural. Hoping I really like it. I feel so silly but I never realized when I was young and impetuous that I'd have to go through this at this point in my life. Oh well...with age comes maturity, I guess. Looking forward to getting this behind me.
Our stories are interestingly similar. I loved mine too, never had issues. We're similar proportions too. As with you, this last spring I started to have issues with the left one. Really became uncomfortable. They also just didn't look as good after 2.5 decade. I hated mine as you did. It's so strange how the light just goes on suddenly. I'm with you - I never thought I'd be doing this either. I also considered replacing them but just don't want to be going through this yet again later in life as an older person. A life will make them right again, if needed. Lifts are better now than ever. We'll see.
*lift not life. Are yours over or under the muscle? Laura1963
another thing is that I'm in San Jose. Dr. Sutkin is in Los Gatos and has another office in San Jose and works in local hospitals etc. I'm not sure why RS has him as an SF surgeon
Over. And I knew you meant lift. :)
Gosh I am so glad that you didn't get sick due to all that loose silicone. I am getting explanted in a couple weeks. I can't wait. I'm so sick. Body aches so bad it's hard to function. Glad you are healing.!