Not Worth It Unless You Go to the Best! Don't Go to ENT - Los Angeles, CA

I had a septoplasty performed twice. Once when I...

I had a septoplasty performed twice. Once when I was 16 and again about 10 years later which also involved turbinate reduciton. After the second surgery, I noticed a very high pitched noise that was really annoying especially at night when I was trying to sleep. In addition, I was experiencing pervasive dryness.

I feared right away that I had a perforation because I know what the symptoms are from researching. I went back to an ENT and sure enough he found a whole in my septum straight through about 3 mm in diameter.

There is nothing simple about repairing perforations. Nor is the procedure cheap if you go to a plastic surgeon which you should at that point, go to the best. Your looking at close to $10,000 give or take for repairing a perforated septum! The worse news is that it is a very complex and delicate procedure with a pretty high failure rate - with most physicians it's a coin toss, literally. Life has been hell with this tiny little hole in my nose because it disrupts my sleep.

Don't butcher your nose, irrigate it with a saline solution daily. Unless you can afford the very best surgeon which insurance probably won't cover, I wouldn't do it.

Did not explain risks involved.

Hi Torrance , sorry to hear of your problems , I myself had a spetoplasty 6 weeks ago . I was so afraid of a septal perforation I told my surgeon about it before the operation ,although my septum is not perforated following the surgery , my breathing is definitely worse. and I have a worse time sleeping than I did before.
Thanks, I really appreciate your kind regards. It has been a struggle to say the least especially considering that it's all the result of a 3mm hole in my nose. Happy to share and I'll keep the forum posted.

I'm sorry you've had to deal with a perforation in your septum. That sounds really awful. Anything that disrupts sleep just stinks.

Thanks for your honest review and for being part of RealSelf. I hope you're able to find some relief soon!