Granulomatous Reaction to Radiesse - Los Angeles, CA

Approximately one year ago, I received Radiesse...

Approximately one year ago, I received Radiesse injections in an attempt to level some acne scars on my cheeks. Instead of filling the scars like I had asked, the nurse injector (mistake #1) decided that my cheeks needed filling. Within a day after the injections, my face swelled and looked terribly distorted. I was prescribed steroids to alleviate the swelling. Some odd stares from strangers and outright comments from friends confirmed to me that my features were very distorted. I felt horrible, and was alarmed knowing that there is NO antidote to the radiesse. This was going to be a waiting game, and unfortunately my face looked overly stuffed for months and months.

Now almost a year later, injected areas feel hard, suggesting some sort of granuloma formation / scar tissue. There is still an odd fullness to my face that has not dissipated even after a year of waiting. By now, the material itself should have mostly been metabolized, which further indicates to me that the firmness is actual scar tissue.

Initially I thought that Radiesse would be an ideal filler due to its longevity. However, the material is just too viscous and prone to nodules and scar tissue formation.

I think you should do the CT scan
Hi.I wanna know how many did you injected?
Hi! I'm so sorry to hear about your horrible experience :(....When you say granuloma you mean an infection??
Gerry, I've seen you post on other reviews regarding Radiesse. Essentially a granuloma is lump or bump underneath the skin that can be visible. It is caused by a foreign body reaction to the injected material. Doctors will try to sell you on the idea that Radiesse promotes collagen, when in fact this collagen is really scar tissue which is part of it's augmenting effect. If you want to go the filler route, you can try Perlane, which is reversible if you don't like the effect. Radiesse has no antidote and may last a very long time in certain people.
Also, in a few months Juvederm Voluma should be coming out and it is used for facial contouring. It is purported to last up to 18 months (as long as Radiesse) and can be reversed like any other HA filler. I think this will be a game changer, and make Radiesse pretty much obsolete.