Lip Lift and Tip Rhinoplasty - 24-year-old Female in SoCal - Los Angeles, CA

Something about my lower face always seemed...

Something about my lower face always seemed slightly off. A lip lift wasn't on the radar for the longest time because it was something I associated with lip enlargement, but after a lot of internet sleuthing it seemed like the best way to subtly adjust the proportions of my lower face.

My main concern was shortening the distance between my nose and lips, not lip augmentation. The distance between my nose and upper lip was 19 mm and I had 5 mm excised. I didn't want a significant increase in tooth show or vermillion show because I didn't want to end up with a gummy smile or trout pout, but I was told some increase is an inevitable side effect of the skin excision. I've braced myself for this and we'll see how it plays out as I heal. I decided to combine the lip lift with a tip rhinoplasty to refine and narrow the nasal tip. Both procedures were done by Dr. Steven Svehlak in-office on 3/17/2014 under local anesthesia.

The total cost cited ($4250) is for the two procedures. The lip lift was $3,000 and the rhinoplasty was $1,250, which is great - another surgeon quoted me $5,500 for the tipplasty alone. Dr. Svehlak's office gives a pretty generous discount for combining multiple procedures, so if you're considering one procedure in isolation, expect to pay a bit more. The office staff is incredibly friendly and Colleen has a great vibe; interacting with her makes you feel like your best friend's cool older sister has inexplicably taken a shine to you.

Local anesthesia is a weird experience. I'm not going to go into this too much, but you're awake and dimly aware that you're being cut and sewed back together. Colleen gave me a blue pill before the procedure and whatever it is, it comes on fast - by the time I came back from the bathroom everything was sparkly and hilarious. After I was ushered into the operating room, Dr. Svehlak gave me some numbing injections, turned on some classical music, and got to work. He would periodically inject more throughout the procedure and I'd groan a bit if I was starting to feel it. My eyes were wet by the end, but my senses were too blurry to tell if it was a reaction to pain.

After they patched me up and gave me a surgical mask to cover my face, they sent me home with a ziploc full of gauze, a syringe of topical antibiotics, and a prescription for painkillers and oral antibiotics. I was pretty out of it and I think I fell asleep in the passenger seat a few times. It was the most pleasant ride in LA rush hour traffic I've ever had.
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

How's your healing?
How does it look now
I'm glad you had a pleasant ride home at least. :) You've explained your situation really well and I truly hope you get the facial balance you're hoping for once you're all healed. Please keep us updated!
will you be posting before and after pics? thanks. did you have just skin removed?