Lifesaver. Many Complications Since, But Would Do it Over Again - Los Angeles, CA

On the day of surgery, on 12/4/02, I was 486 lbs...

On the day of surgery, on 12/4/02, I was 486 lbs and 32 years old. I was not prepared to die, so I went through with this. It took a year of therapy before they would even accept me into the program. On this date, 8/16/12, I am 42 years old and weigh 227 lbs. I've had abdominoplasty in 2004 and a breast reduction 8 days ago. I've had a LOT of complications from the bypass, which will include lifetime iron infusions 2x a month, but I wold do it all over again. I wish that I knew what life would be like 10 years later so that I could have been more prepared for the anemia and absorbtion issues, but I don't regret it and had a wonderful surgeon.

Hi there, welcome and thanks so much for sharing your journey with us!

First of all, congratulations on losing the weight and taking the big step to having surgery. It's not an easy decision to make, weighing up the pros and cons, but as you said, for a lot of people it comes down to choosing between living to your full life expectency or dying young.

I'm sorry you've had to deal with complications, but hopefully being healthier in general compensates for some of those. I will be having the bypass and I am prepared for the lifetime of vitamin. nutritional and protein supplements I'll have to take.

Have you also had any kind of skin removal surgery?

Yes. I had the full tummy tuck and a slight revision three weeks after in 2004. I still have a flat tummy. I had my breast reduction 10 days ago (ugh) and plan to have a thighplasty plus knee replacements in the next few years. It took me eight years to work up the nerve for another major surgery. I'm sure in another few months I will be recommending that!

Surgery can be scary, but I hope you're finding that it's worth it. After all the hard work of losing the weight, it's nice to eventually see the body you've worked so hard for!

Peter Crookes

Dr. Antone and Crookes were the doctors doing the Biliopancreatic duodenal switch at USC, and Dr. crookes was my doctor. I found him to be identifying and caring. I've kept in contact with him and am eternally grateful to him for saving my life.