Beware of This Celebrity Plastic Surgeon - Los Angeles, CA

My ocular surgeon recrurited Dr. Joel Aronowitz to...

My ocular surgeon recrurited Dr. Joel Aronowitz to join him in a June, 2012 surgery. My eye surgery was a medical necessity and Dr. Aronowitz was invited to participate at the same surgery in order to add stem cell fat to areas of my face that had been damaged and had disfiguring indentations and loss of fat due to partial paralysis. Dr. Aronowotiz charged me $18,000.

As ypu can see from the Before and After photos sent by Dr. Aronowitz's office, there is no discernable difference between the 2 sets of photos. Both my ocular surgeon and Dr. Aronowitz's staff saw my grief and disappointment within the first week. The notes from Dr. Aronowitz's office attest to this and my ocular surgeon was so sympathetic that he offered to do the fat grafts himself, even though it was outside his field of expertise.

The one procedure he did perform that had nothing to do with stem cell fat grafts, was to correct my left earlobe curl, a result of a previous surgery. Following his ear surgery, the left earlobe still curled because Dr. Aronowitz did not reattach it to my face. like the right one. Furthermore, my ocular surgeon noticed that the left earlobe was longer than the right one. In his Operating Room Report, which Dr. Aronowitz would not release until my lawyer called 3 months later, Dr. Aronowitz stated that there were "deformities on both earlobes." This is contradicted both by his own photos and the list of procedures I was charged for.

When Dr. Aronowitz was finally compelled by my lawyer to release my Operating Room Report, It was significantly different than the two released by my ocular surgeon. Under, "Procedures," my ocular surgeon just listed the procedures performed. Dr. Aronowitz's Operating Room Report also begins with "Procedures," yet Dr. Aronowitz spent the entire first half of his "Procedures," with declarative statements both about the purpose of the surgery and my mental state.

Dr.Aronowitz begins his "Procedures," by commenting on my mental state, declaring I was "distraught," and that he had even spoken to my psychologist. In fact, I was incredibly excited about this surgery because it offered the promise of re-engaging in life.

After 11 eye procedures and because of my physical disfigurement, I had withdrawn from life.out of embarrassment at my appearance. Everyone I knew was aware of my elation at this upcoming surgery,, including my therapist, who told me she had never spoken to Dr. Aronowitz and hadn't even known his name. In point of fact, however, my mental state is irrelevant to the outcome of his surgery.

The next portion of Dr. Aronowitz's "Procedures," states that the purpose of my surgery was "scar revision." This stands in direct contradiction to the very reason my ocular surgeon recruited him. In addition, almost all the major procedures I was charged for, clearly state "PRP stem cell fat." with the hollow,indented and depressed areas to be filled to restore facial volume. Nowhere is scar revision mentioned in his notes or itemized charges. Indeed, Dr. Aronowitz's prominence is based on his expertise in autologous stem cell fat using liposuction. In fact, his major claim to fame rests on reating a new breast for Suzanne Somers using this method.

Judge for yourself by looking at the photos. I did get emotionally "distraught," but that was after I looked the same after the surgery as I had before. It wasn't even the issue of the $18,000. It was my loss of trust, faith, and hope. I feel betrayed.

Dr. Aronowitz’s office photos tell the story.

No words necessary. Click the link below.

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

Mu ocular surgeon choise him. At the initial appt., I thought it was strange that he never examined areas of my face that were to receive stem cell fat grafts. Since he has a prominent reputation because of Suzanne Somers, I just trusted him to to the procedures I paid for. My ocular surgeon was so sympathetic to my disappointment at his non-performance, that he offered to do the fat grafts, even though it was outside his area of expertise.

-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

This is not a valid review but cyber bullying and part of a pattern of personal attacks by a patient attempting to extort money. Unfortunately, this is an abuse of real self.
I think the pictures speak for themselves.  Also pretty unprofessional for a doctor to comment here by attacking the victim.  Would be far better for him to  take responsibility for his poor result & do whatever he can to make it right with his patient.
So because this woman's review isn't positive that makes it not valid? Realself is an open forum for discussion of good and bad. Let this attitude be a forwarning to anyone considering having surgery performed by Dr Joel Aronowitz... and I agree with Notsogood, the pictures speak for themselves.
AGREED!!
Hey doc, who are you to decide what constitutes an abuse of Realself? Hmm?
Omg that is terrible work. I think it is natural for even the best surgeons to make mistakes, maybe 0.0001% of the time but regardless, they still occur. However, not even taking care to attach your earlobe seems like careless oversight. He should have at least admitted his mistake. In both personal and professional relationships, that's all we need sometimes- an acknowledgment that what we feel Is real. And then, even the patient is willing to work with the doctor.
I am so sorry the whole thing, Thanks for sharing I once saw on tv a complete face given to a person,, You did me a favor my prayers are with you He should be brought to justice that's mean
Thanks for sharing.....all the best.
oh my goodness I am so very sorry. I haven't heard of this doctor but I don't understand how nothing at all was accomplished. How can this be? And I know that by law you are entitled to his reports....isn't that right? Wow so many illegal and immoral and unethical things that this surgeon has done I am in disbelief. I hope you achieve your goals and I also hope this surgeon is not allowed to harm anyone else ever again!!!
Nadiahoney, Surely you must know by now that many American institutions don't work the way you learned they did in school, e.g., athletics, school exams, the justice system, politicians, etc. I'm sorry to disillusion you, but medicine, especially plastic surgery, is a Business. This whole sorry chain of events began 6 years ago when a plastic surgeon severed my 5th and 7th nerves on the right side of my face, resulting in paralysis of the right side of my face, including the eyelid, and concommitant facial wasting.. He maged many patients and I am in contact w/ all of them. None of us either got our records or got revised records with photo-shopped photos. A dr.'s reputation is everything and they will do anything to protect it, including posting false statements and revising medical records. I couldn't even get my medical records from Dr. Aronowitz, including the OR, until my lawyer finally called 3 mos. later. Go to Ripoffreport.com to see what Dr. Aronowitz posted about me. He tried to post this on every site, but every site deleted it and sent me an email that they had deleted it because it was "inappropriate, does not meet our standards..." Only Ripoffreport posted it because once something is posted on their site, it cannot be removed unless you use them for $500 to begin an "arbitration process." Thus, they run a side-business of removing posts. Everything in his post is a lie. He painted me as a rage-filled paranoid plastic surgery junkie with slanted eyes and dropped ears and that he was recruited to aid the ocular surgeon with eyelid reconstruction. First of all, my ocular surgeon performed a procedure to remove a strip of embedded lashes at the right corner junction. My ocular surgeon did not need his help. Because I'd had 11 eye surgeries, he recruited Dr. Aronowitz to add facial stem cell fat in an effort to spare me enduring future surgeries -- 2 surgeons taking turns on different areas of my face. In addition, Dr. Aronowitz's is a plastic surgeon specializing in stem cell surgery and his claim to fame is creating a new breast for Suzanne Somers using this technique. His statement that he was recruited to help Dr. Levine with "eyelid surgery," when he's not even an ocular surgeon makes as much sense and is as outrageous a claim as all his others, even his claim that he'd spoken to my psychiatrist! As for why he failed, my ocular surgeon posited that I must have been too thin and not enough fat could be obtained. My ocular surgeon felt so bad, he offered to do the fat himself and asked my to drink 2 cans of Ensure a day. I gained almost 30 lbs. in 1 mo., but could not go to an ocular surgeon for this procedure. My pre-op w/ Dr. Aronowitz was 6 weeks before surgery, but he never told me to gain weight. In fact, he never examined my face. He only examined areas of my body for liposuction. I had a presentiment about this, but I trusted my ocular surgeon and also believed the PR about Dr. Aronowitz.
Just read the response from Aronowitz at ripoffreport.com.  What a pig.  I had the same issues as you did with getting my records.  I didn't end up having to resort to a lawyer, but he took his sweet time sending them.  Guess he used that time to rewrite them.  Under "procedures" he added comments to infer that I had "unrealistic expectations"   Yeah sure...like having a plastic surgeon make me look better...not worse.  What patient could possibly expect that?  Then several references about how he explained all the "risks" to me.  A complete and utter lie.  Bet his nose was growing while he rewrote history, playing fast and furious with the facts in an effort to cover his butt in anticipation of a lawsuit.  Exactly like your guy, he also included the "older" woman comment as his opener.  As if that means anything other than a transparent effort to humiliate & make us sound like we expected miracles.  I never asked him for the procedure to begin with.  I thought I looked pretty good, lol!  I was there for a breast implant removal.  That was the only thing on my wish list. He was the one who pushed the idea as the holy grail of non-cosmetic surgery...a no risk procedure that would simply "refresh" my look.  After the disasterous results, it suddenly became all "my" fault instead of his.  I guess thats the standard response now when they screw up.  BTW, there is a typo in your review at ripoffreport.com.  No biggie but it's a little confusing on first read.  You reference your long time opthamologist, but instead of typing  "Aronberg" you wrote "Aronowitz"   The likelihood of having 2 docs with the same name had to be slim, so it gave me pause for a minute of 2 .  Understandable typo given their names are so similar.  If they allow edits you might amend that.  If not, no biggie.  :-)
OMG! i am so sorry to hear that you also had problems w/ Dr. Aronowitz! I thank you for writing me because it is vindication that Dr. Aronowitz not only does not really care about his patients, but also has no moral code or ethical core. Glad to know I'm not the only "unfortunate patient," and that if you were unhappy, maybe you're "paranoid," also. I hope you post on many sites. He's so concerned about his reputation that after my first post, 9 mos. after his "non-surgery," he tried to work out a deal w/ me in return for my removing my post. Until my first post, he had ignored all my emails and efforts to work something out. His conscience didn't bother him; it was preserving his "good name." Yes, I caught the subtle dig about being "old, " but that was the least of the egregious things he wrote about me. Every sentence he wrote is a lie! My previous plastic surgeries had been on my eyes due to medical malpractice 6 years before, but he made me out to be a plastic surgery junkie. Thank you for catching the mistake I made on Ripoffreport, but I can't change anything. You get a gold star for knowing I meant to refer to the wonderful Dr. Aronberg!! Once something is posted on Ripoffreport, it's there for good. Ripoffreport has a side business of removing posts through their arbitration process that costs something like $500. In fact, Dr. Aronowitz submitted rebuttals to several posting sites, but only Ripoff report printed his. All the other sites sent me emails explaining they were deleting his rebuttal, citing reasons like they were "inappropriate... defamatory... do not meet our standards..." He is such a liar that every rebuttal he posted, which lasted only a day, gave a different purpose for his surgery. In one, it was "functional, not plastic;" in another, it was "scar revision;" in Ripoff, it was "eyelid reconstruction." He doesn't even tell the same lies -- he just makes up new ones as he goes. BTW, the line about warning about risks, is a standard disclaimer that all of them put in their OR's to cover themselves -- like they're really going to discourage you or scare you... I'm truly sorry that you, too, had a bad experience with Dr. Aronowitz. Both of us have been doubly harmed, first surgically and then by his cover-up and throwing the patient under the bus. I hope you've had good corrective breast surgery and are on your way to being a hot cookie again!
LA4830...Sorry for the misunderstanding...but no, my PS was not Aronowitz but rather a different BH surgeon by the name of Chahin.  I've written to you before about him, but I neglected to clarify who I was talking about in my last post.   What I intended to express to you was that I had a similar experience, tho not with the same doc.  I just find it interesting that when they screw up, they all seem to react the same...by blaming the victim & resorting to personal insults.  Its just so infuriating.  Big apologies for the confusion...my bad.
correction on my post above when I wrote: "...holy grail of non-cosmetic surgery".  I meant to say "non-invasive procedure" or in other words, a cosmetic procedure that did not require surgery.  Can't seem to get my posts right today, lol!
I went too to read the stuff on ripoffreports. So Dr. Aronowitz is no longer harming people, or did I get that wrong? Still.....shocked at this insane behavior. I honestly thought doctors were more ethical than this. I wonder if most of them are this way? Does anyone know? What do other doctors think of this? And is there any legal recourse for people who had their lives damaged? Hopefully someone on here knows.
NBD. Yes, it happened to me before w/ Dr. Dennis Bang, the dr. who committed the original malpractice 6 years ago, but some of the patients he severely injured Never got their records. One injured patient proved in court that Bang revised her records and photo-shopped her photos-- the same thing that happened to me! Dr. Dresner was one of her experrt witnesses. I was too traumatized to go through w/ my lawsuit + difficult to get lawyer if you don't have loss of earnings due to $250.000 insurance cap. Don't remember any mention of p.s., Chahin.
My medical story is confusing due to the fact the chain of events began w/ a malpractice 6 years ago that left me paralyzed on the right side of my face. No, Many drs. are not ethical, especially plastic surgeons. Look at notsogood's post, above, about her breast, and some p.s. named Chahin. Then go to her profile and look at what she wrote about fat grafts. That was also done to me at the same surgery by Dr. Robert Levine, the ocular surgeon who recruited Dr. Aronowitz.
My close friend Suzanne required eye surgery and at the recommendation of her ocular surgeon, recruited Dr. Joel Aronowitz to participate in this surgery because of his expertise in adding fat using a stem cells lipo-sculpture procedure. Dr. Aronowitz was to add fat to her temples and her right cheek. Because she trusted Dr. Aronowitz's reputation, she added a few minor procedures to the major ones of adding stem cell fat to her temples and cheeks. After years in isolation due to surgeries, pain, and embarrassment at her appearance, so much was at stake. Unfortunately, Dr. Aronowitz did not successfully perform any of the procedures my friend had paid for. Her Before and After photos from his office look exactly the same, if not worse afterwards! She was devastated that there had been no change and no discernable stem cell fat added. She was then devastated again when she finally received his OR Report, which attempted to blame her mental condition for his lack of results and also misrepresented the very purpose of his surgery. She felt doubly betrayed and shared all of this with me. Suzanne also shared with me how indifferent Dr. Aronowitz was in working with her, both before and after the surgery, and how he resisted providing her with photos and the OR Report. Looking at the photos, it appears that he would have good reason for not wanting to send them to her. Bottom line, investigate more than just the press releases when selecting a doctor.
My close friend required eye surgery. Her ocular surgeon, Dr. Robert Levine. specifically recruited Dr. Joel Aronowitz to participate in this surgery because of his expertise in adding fat using a stem cells lipo-sculpture procedure. She was excited that after 7 years of hiding out in her home due to facial disfigurement, Dr. Aronowitz would be adding fat to her temples and her right cheek. She trusted Dr. Levine's choice and was also impressed by Dr. Aronowitz's reputation. Dr. Aronowitz was famous for creating a new breast for Suzanne Somers, who had lost hers due to cancer. My friend was so confident that she added a few minor procedures to the major ones of adding stem cell fat to her temples and cheeks. My friend made magic wands for both of us to aid us in concentrating our energy the day of surgery. After years if isolation due to surgeries, pain, and embarrassment at her appearance, so much was at stake. Unfortunately, Dr. Aronowitz did not successfuly perform any of the procedures my friend had paid for. Her Before and After photos from his office look exactly the same! She was devastated that there had been no change and no discernable stem cell fat added. She was then devastated agan when she finally received his OR Report, which attempted to blame her mental condition for his lack of results and also misrepresented the very purpose of his surgery. She felt doubly betrayed and shared all of this with me. Based on my close friend's experience, I would warn prospective patients to look beyond a plastic surgeon's reputation and PR machine and carefully read patients' reviews or talk to former patients. I would also caution them against using magic wands -- they don't always deliver magic.
my friend suze is a decent, honest person who unfortunately became a recluse after a cosmetic surgery performed some years ago. she is no longer the vibrant outgoing person she was. because of the constant pain about which she tells me and how she says she was disfigured, she won't even let me see her. i can't even to take her to her seemingly unending reconstructive surgery attempts as well as the many doctors' appointments. it is agonizing to hear about her despair and hear how much pain she is suffering, and know that her active social life ended while her quality of life diminished to nothing. late last year she was very excited, even happy for a change, when she thought she would be getting a corrective surgery that would alleviate much of her pain. i was excited and happy for her and looked forward to things getting back to some kind of normalcy. suze told me that surgery went poorly and even made things worse. my friend did not deserve this and i wish i could turn the clock back for her so none of this would have happened.
Sorry to hear about your results. Were you able to get any help in fixing this?
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Have given up on all. My eyes can't tolerate more surgeries. Best.
I would sure like to know about the doctors who can help with repairing some of the damage. I am going to see my derm and see if he can at least help with the skin texture which is horrible. Then off to see an occuplast to see if he can comment on the eyes. I am so embarrassed to be seen by people i know. They all ask me what's different? I wear glasses to at least throw things off.
Dr. Jonathan Hoenig or Dr. Michael Groth for eyes. Do not go to anyone they refer you to. Wait and only go to them, even tho' difficult to get appt. I've seen all there are and Total Skill required for messed up eyes. Also, they're ethical.