Beware of the Side Effects! - Los Angeles, CA

I had my abdomen area done on 1/18/11. The...

I had my abdomen area done on 1/18/11. The procedure itself was mildly uncomfortable for a few minutes at the beginning. I found it very painful when the cup was removed and the area looked like a stick of butter and needed to thaw. I am now eight days after the procedure and continue to have itching, numbness and general discomfort in the area. I understand the numbness may take a month to go away. I may be very happy in 6 to 8 weeks when I see the effects, but for now I am uncomfortable, with a stiff fatty area on my stomach, unable to sleep with the itching and wishing I had not done it.

Wanted to report that after two weeks, the itching...

Wanted to report that after two weeks, the itching and numbness are subsiding. Also wanted to indicate that I was treated at a new business that was having a sale on the procedure. I believe the sale is over and that it normally costs $1500.

The good news is that I think the treatment works....

The good news is that I think the treatment works. I am two months post procedure and my stomach is flatter. I am considering doing it again on a different area. Knowing that the numbness is not permanent and that the itching has to be endured for two weeks before dissipating will allow me to make an informed decision. Perhaps there is a wide range of sensitivities to the treatment and therefore I was unprepared for the unpleasant two plus weeks post procedure.

The nurse who did my procedure did not fully disclose the potential side effects and how long they would last.

It's good to be patient after the treatment and to stay in touch with your treating physician. Treating multiple areas gives the best results. CoolSculpting is a wonderful treatment for reduction of those fat bulges that are resistant to diet exercise. Particularly the abdomen and the love handles. Our physicians apply the applicators. Our patients love the treatment. Good luck and be well. Best, Michael Persky, MD Encino,CA
I got mine done today. When the Aesthetician first placed the large attachment on my lower abdomen, I went in complete shock! I lost the color from my face and started palpitating!! I was convinced my muscle was also pulled inside. even though i got numb after a few minutes, i remained in shock and refused to move or even breathe properly. The worst was when the head was taken off and my stomach was frozen. ugggh very icky. anyways I feel fine now, just feel like i did a lot of stomach exercises...weirdly enuf, my leg is feeling numb :s
I had my love handles done a few months ago. The numbness passed and didn't trouble me too much, but the itching was pretty unpleasant. The procedure worked though, I was pretty happy with the results, so I recently decided to give it another go. 8 days ago I had my upper thighs done - at the backs of my legs. I have stubborn fat there and bad cellulite. The numbness is still there to a small degree but is not uncomfortable. The itching has just started and I think is the most unpleasant thing I've ever experienced! I can't sleep at night it's so bad.....and brushing my skin with a stiff dry body brush provides only temporary relief. However my while body is itchy....skin, scalp, ears, soles of feet....everywhere! I have also started treating myself for a yeast infection (it's itchy EVERYWHERE!!) and now I recall that this happened last time too. I'm not sexually active, have no allergies and have not changed my diet. The only thing I can think of is that as my body breaks down the fat that the cool sculpt has shifted, it's entering my system for disposal and my body is struggling to cope with it.... The medication had no effect last time on my yeast infection - it just cleared up by itself, round about the time the itching on the treated area stopped. So I'm hoping I've got 2 more days of severe itchy discomfort before it passes. I think this is a great treatment and I would have it again, especially with full understanding of the way it affects me.
I had Zeltiq a week ago and have had no problem with my sides hurting or itching. My stomach area however is itching like crazy and very sore. Hoping I will really be able to see some good results.
I had the procedure done one week ago on my stomach area. I was ok for the first 2 days and then the needle feeling started. It has been really painful and I hope it goes away soon. Massaging the area seems to make it hurt more. I had my love handles done over 2 weeks ago and only experienced soreness for about a week. I guess different parts of the body can have higher levels of sensitivity. I thought I was the only one having this needle like pain.
I hope you have a similar outcome.
Now that it's been longer do you see much of a difference? I have been watching this for a couple months and am interested in Zeltiq - I have an appointment for a consultation in a week but I am really hoping I can loose at least an inch off my belly bulge and I don't want to waste the money if no one is getting that kind of result...Thank You!
This is a procedure for someone who has maintained a healthy weight loss for some time by eating healthy & exercising regularly but just can't get rid of stubborn pockets of fat, due to genetics.
I am dealing w/ the same problem right now. I could handle numbness and 'tingling', but the post-procedure pain and itching I feel is more like bee stings in the treated area. I don't know if I am just extra sensitive, but I don't recommend this procedure!!! Or at least go into it knowing this is a possible side effect - no one warned me and I am ticked! (will feel even worse about the agony and $ spent if there is no positive result...)
Ask for rx for lidoderm patches. They take the pain away.
After much due diligence (I spent over one year of research and investigation as well as personal communications with the experts in the field), I began offering my patients Coolsculpting by Zeltiq. My criteria for incorporating any treatment or technology into my practice are that it be both SAFE and SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN EFFECTIVE.

I was the first patient on our Zeltiq device. My wife was the second person treated. I too was told that it was "very comfortable", but when the large hand piece grabbed my abdomen, I must have lost the color in my face (at least that's what my office staff described my shocked appearance as) as beads of sweat formed on my forehead. Of course my wife assured all present that, "Oh, don't go by him, he's such a baby!" as I felt that I was being lifted up to the ceiling by the suction cup. After about 15 minutes of feeling what I was later told feels like "menstrual cramps" (my empathy to all of you girls reading this), the cold plates took over and I was able to comfortably take zips of my Cafe Frappuccino (likely one of many causes for the tummy "pooch" being treated), but taking a deep breath was still difficult as I felt as if my diaphragm was stuck to the hand piece. Once the hour was up, the family-size brick of butter under my skin did feel like frozen chicken breast that was thawing out. The redness went away after a few hours. The numbness and tingling of pins and needles (like Novocain wearing off) lasted for about two weeks, but was very tolerable. Gentle massage of the treated areas is helpful. My wife only experienced a little burning sensation while being treated. We are about two months out now; my wife is very pleased with her result, and wants more. I will have another treatment soon, and have seen a little improvement (treatment immediately before Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years may be associated with weight gain, having nothing to due with Zeltiq, more to do with yummy food).

Realistic expectations are essential before the treatment. More than one treatment session should be counted on, and even scheduled from the start. It is a gradual, but scientifically proven technology.

Thanks for sharing your Zeltiq experiences. The technology is scientifically proven to work, but it does usually take multiple sessions. The numbness and tingling is normal for a few weeks. There have been a few patients who have experienced more severe pain that has responded well to lidocaine gel or patches (speak with your physician before self treating).

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P
I hope you are prescribing a nerve-blocker to your patients. Neurontin stopped the pain within 5 minutes.
My experience was similar to yours. I can say I have had bad cramps and this pain was 50x more. Honestly I almost said stop i cant do this. Ive had laser lipo in same areas (ab and flanks), epidural injections, botox, juvaderm before lidocaine was mixed. This was the worst pain ever. I have to imagine its like childbirth intensity. Glad it went numb in 15 min. Curious about lidocaine patch or gel. Would that help prior? I bet i will need another session. The flanks was like a 3/10 pain though.
I got an rx for lidoderm patches and it was a life saver. I was in so much pain weeks after.

The numbness seems to be pretty normal, thankfully. How are you feeling today? Do you think it's getting better at all?

Hi Abby,

Welcome to the community. The numbness and itchy sounds no fun right now, but I'm sure in a few weeks you will feel and look great. Did you have any downtime from the procedure? Please keep us updated and if in a few weeks you want to share pictures the community would love it.

Thanks so much,

-Britt

Please keep us updated. I had a similar experience. I SOOOOO want it to work, but I'm not convinced it does yet.
After 3 weeks, my tunny is flatter!
I had procedure last Thursday 12-29-11 agree with above referenced description. My tech had to replace cooling chamber on lower abdomen 3 times which was uncomfortable, abdomen went on snugly first try. Lower ab no real issues, but he upper ab has started the intense itching over the last two days. I have worn tight spandex long bra and the itching and tingling starts strangly at the end of the day. I am taking a low dose pain pill to ease itching which is helping. So glad to know that the above comment mentions the loss was worth it. Agree that knowing fully what to expect is helpful and seeing inches lost will make it worth the pain. Also pretty sure this pain and discomfort is much less than real lipo. More later.
I had laser lipo on upper, lower abs and flanks with general anesthesia. The device used during cool sculpt on abs hurts really bad. I had no pain with lipo until post 12 hours and had pain pills. With cool sculpt pain was intense on abs for 5 min or so and not bad on flanks. Post cool sculpt very little pain. Compares to post 1 week lipo pain. Itching and numbess are the same. Im doing cool sculpt to hopefully even out lipo irregularities. If you have alot of localized fat lipo is the way to go.