Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy - Los Angeles, CA

I was diagnosed with breast cancer Dec. 20th, 2012...

I was diagnosed with breast cancer Dec. 20th, 2012. Br. Boyd came very highly recommended by my breast surgeon. I found him very kind, considerate, and extremely skilled. He performed reconstruction procedures on me (abdominoplasty with DIEP) that very few plastic surgeons in this country are skilled at. I am very happy to have such a wonderfully gifted and one of the top surgeons in this country! I am not sure of the cost because Dr. Boyd's office staff worked with the insurance company.

My recovery was in record time.  It is not however an easy surgery to recover from.  At night it is hard to find a comfortable position.  However, Dr. Boyd's staff was also extremely helpful, and helped me through it.  I was given a prescription for a surgical post mastectomy bra, and that helped a lot.  I had frequent after care visits to make sure that everything was healing well.  I am so lucky that I had such an experienced, and highly skilled surgeon.  It is a long process.  The reconstruction is not over, and will continue on for several more months.

Thank you so much for sharing more of your experience. I would love it if you would share more about the prescription bra you received. Was it custom made specifically to your dimensions, so offered comfortable support?

Thanks so much for posting your doctor testimonial. While we appreciate this, the main focus of the RealSelf community is to discuss our experiences with different treatments, both the pros and cons. By sharing the details of your experience you can help others in the community who are considering breast reconstruction and you can get support from others who have done treatment.
So, if you wouldn't mind coming back and fleshing it out a little: telling us what it was like, things you experienced that you didn't expect, and how your healing process progressed, we would be happy to add it to the breast reconstruction community.

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Boyd was highly recommended to me by my surgical oncologist. Nobody wants to have cancer. However, Dr. Boyd is always extremely considerate, answers questions until you understand, short wait times in his office, and very available for all after care. My recovery was in record time. It is not however an easy surgery to recover from. At night it is hard to find a comfortable position. However, Dr. Boyd's staff was also extremely helpful, and helped me through it. I was given a prescription for a surgical post mastectomy bra, and that helped a lot. I had frequent after care visits to make sure that everything was healing well. I am so lucky that I had such an experienced, and highly skilled surgeon. It is a long process. The reconstruction is not over, and will continue on for several more months.