I Can't Believe It! - Rhinoplasty with Lucian Ion - London, UK

My Rhinoplasty

On Friday 14th June I had open tip rhinoplasty surgery with Lucian Ion, and yesterday I had the cast, stitches, tape and splints removed. (and I apologize in advance for the long read!

The problems with my nose as stated by Ion:
Front:
Nasal bridge: moderate deviation to the right
Nasal tip: moderately wide
Profile:
Nasal bridge: slightly convex, slight over-projection
Nasal tip: slight over-projection

I also had a small bump on my nose from several hits to my nose. But one of the things I really hated about my nose was the V shaped/downward arrow shape, my nose had from the front especially when I was smiling. I had always said it was droopy, but I don’t think that’s the right word for it. Lucian Ion said it was more of an illusion and what the eye wanted to see, but it is apparent when smiling, and also in ¾ view. He said that everyone’s nose had it a little bit otherwise your nose would look like it had been amputated! And that he would fix it for me.
This is the decision we came to together:
Nasal bridge: straight from front, lower on profile (approximately 5mm) with slight supra-tip break (slight curve)
Nasal tip: narrower from the front, reduced projection (approximately 4mm), slight shortening (approximately 3mm), and increased definition on profile
Alar base: alar base reduction
Columella: reduced lateral show
Nasolabial angle: increased slightly

I have hated my nose since I was 11 when we made silhouette drawings of our profiles in class and I thought mine looked so manly due to my nose. Then when I was 12 I saw in photos how horrible my nose looked from the front when I was smiling, and from then on I hated my nose and avoided photos. When I had to have photos I turned my head to a kind of ¾ position, but that wasn’t much better either. From the age of 14 I decided I wanted rhinoplasty surgery (because I didn’t know much about plastic surgery before then and that was when I found out it could be fixed). And I decided on having the surgery about two years ago, and have been researching seriously for a year as I had seen how wrong rhinoplasty could go.

Rhinoplasty is the only way to make your nose smaller. I tried to sugar coat and think that my nose wasn’t as bad as it was (like everyone told me), but then I’d see myself in profile and it made me so upset. I cried so many times because of it because I felt that it was just not fair. Why did I have to have a big nose? It made me feel so masculine and unattractive. Because for me a big nose is the worst facial feature, I would never go out with a man with a big nose, but then I would think isn’t that a bit hypocritical of me because I have a huge nose. And I can’t think of a single woman I find pretty who had a big nose, because to me big noses aren’t cute. Every time I laughed or smiled I would raise my hands over my mouth and nose because I thought my nose looked so ugly. I tried the makeup technique of contouring and highlighting to make my nose look narrower and the tip more raised, but it made my nose look worse! So I decided that was it, I was going to do it.

Also, I’ll add at this point. I’m a small person, my height is 157cm (5ft1) and I weigh about 41kg. Nothing about me is big, so I didn’t want to have to have a big nose.

After a lot of research I decided on Lucian Ion (who funnily enough was my first choice so I kinda went in a massive circle).

I had a consult with him in February. I was nervous that if I didn’t like him or if I didn’t feel I could trust him then it would throw all my plans out the window for rhinoplasty. I felt very comfortable with him. He’s a very nice and charming man. He is very calm and I felt I could trust him. He pointed out everything that was bad about my nose plus some other things I didn’t notice (like I had never noticed that it was deviated). I went with my mum (who was against my having the surgery) and she liked him and felt he was a good choice. I did a lot of research before booking the consultation (Ion was the only surgeon I met with). I chose Lucian Ion because he is a member of baaps and bapras, he a primary and revision rhinoplasty surgeon, he mainly does facial plastic surgery and I had read lots of good reviews about him. Also, surgeons all have their own signature mark, and he favours more feminine and cute noses, which was exactly what I wanted.

I then had to spend ages convincing my mum because even after meeting Ion she was still against it. She would say yes, then no. I spent ages reasoning and trying to convince her. I think I should add, my mum doesn’t have a big nose at all. She is half Chinese so her nose isn’t overly projected like mine was and her front view is fine. Anyway, she finally changed her mind, I booked the surgery and I was lucky to get a date in two weeks times (because the waiting time the previous occasions I had enquired was two months! – because he is a popular surgeon)

I had the surgery at BMI Weymouth. The staff were so nice and made me feel really comfortable. It’s really nice there, more like a hotel than a hospital! I was so scared though (because the rest of the week I had been worrying more about an exam I had to sit the day before surgery). I arrived at 11.30 and my surgery was at 13.00. However, I didn’t have surgery until 15.30 (the person before me was having two procedures and the nurse said that Ion was slow in surgery because he was a perfectionist). Luckily there was a tv in my room, and so I could distract myself a bit, but I was so scared. My mum didn’t help saying things like, ‘I’m not taking responsibility if it goes wrong’ (which I was so scared about), and ‘what if you die, this is all self inflicted, then I won’t have a daughter’.

I didn’t even feel as if I had been asleep long when the nurse woke me up, and I was thinking please don’t wake me up, I’m having such a nice sleep. My first words were like, please can I have something to eat I’m so starving? (I hadn’t eaten since about 22.00 the previous night and it was now 17.45) I was also so surprised because I could breathe through my nose! After being awake half an hour they took me upstairs to my room. I felt very nauseous at this point. The nurse gave me some water and told me to drink slowly. I felt nauseous for about an hour.

Ion also came to see me in my room to see how I was doing. He told me that the surgery went well and my nose fitted my features much better now and that the result was similar to the 3d imaging we had done on Monday. We spoke a bit and then he left. My mum and younger brother arrived at 20.00, I had some supper (I had filled out a menu when I got there, but I ordered so much because there were lots of options and the nurse was like order as much as you want, order some more drinks!), I was given my medication, they called a taxi for us and we left the hospital at 22.00
I could already see an improvement in my nose, despite the swelling and the cast. I felt really bad the next day, and all I could think was ‘what have I done to myself?. I think thought compared to other people (I have read lots of rhinoplasty stories), my recovery was quite hard, and I only became more mobile by day 6. Also, my nose bled a lot after surgery, and I wore the drip pad thing (is that what it’s called? I don’t think so!) until Sunday and still then some clear liquid was coming out of my nose. I phoned the emergency number that I had been given by Ion’s staff, to check that it was okay to be bleeding so much and they said it was okay. Also, I don’t really remember anyone else mentioning this, but the inner corner of my eyes were really sore and really hurt, and would start watering every time I woke up until about day 6.
I still couldn’t manage to take the train and tube up to Ion’s office to get the cast removed yesterday so my mum drove me. I was really scared about this because I had read that some people had said it really hurt. Ms Angelica Kavouni (she is another plastic surgeon who has an office in the same building as Ion – she is also his wife) took off the cast and tape, and started removing the dry blood from inside my nose. (Because the nurse was running late). She said that the side profile looked really nice. Anyway, the nurse came and took over. The worst part was taking out the internal splints (to me anyway, because there was a lot of dried blood around them because my nose had bled a fair amount). She then said to me, ‘I don’t know what your nose was like before, but it’s tiny now’.
I cannot believe that this is my nose. I love it so much (I can’t believe I’m saying that!) It seems so unreal. I’m so happy with it. Literally words cannot describe it. Lucian Ion has done an amazing job!!! I never imagined that it would look this good, especially the front. I love it! Even though there is still some swelling in the front and side I love it! I wouldn’t mind if there was no swelling now and this was the final result, that’s how much I love it. Ion is amazing and really nice to, and easy to talk to (I never imagined a plastic surgeon would be like that, the ones I have seen on TV have been really creepy and I wouldn’t want them coming near me, let alone cutting up a part of my face). I recommend him completely. He should win an award for being so good at rhinoplasty surgery and for being such a good surgeon. All I have to say is Thank you so much Lucian Ion for my lovely nose.

Reuploaded some photos

I noticed that these photos came up much smaller on the website than on my computer, so I uploaded some bigger versions so you can see the change more clearly

Ignore above please

Right I must seem so stupid, please ignore the above post. Even though I uploaded larger images they still came out the same small size - I don't know what's going on there.

Photos

I have decided to remove photos on here.

*This part of review update removed by RealSelf staff as it does not comply with our community guidelines*

Photos

I wasn't too comfortable with having my photos on here, but I have made a picturetrail account so if you want to see some, send me a message and I will tell you my username and the password to view the photos ^^

7 months post op

I had my rhinoplasty procedure with Mr Ion on June 14th 2013 at BMI Weymouth hospital. I did a write up after cast off. I noticed that there weren't many updates from Mr Ion's patient so I decided to do one (because I'm still so in love with the result)

I have updated my picturetrail account with new photos, so anyone who is interested in seeing these photos can message me and I will send you a link with a password.

From the moment of cast off I have loved my new nose. I didn't actually notice until I compared some photos that the swelling has come down quite a bit (especially the front view has become smaller and more defined). I didn't really notice the swelling too much, but the swelling fluctuates much more now but nothing in particular sets it off for me. Apart from crying which makes my nose as swollen as when the cast was on - I'm not joking.

The aftercare I have received from Mr Ion has been so good (I've seen him four times post op). I really cannot recommend Mr Ion enough from my experience. I have much more confidence in my appearance now. I feel that my nose suits my face and looks natural (in my opinion - I felt a little self-conscious/paranoid when a man sitting opposite me on the tube was talking to his girlfriend squeezing his nose, and pressing the tip, obviously talking about nose jobs, I was listening to music so I couldn't hear, maybe it was a coincidence I'd had my nose done and he wasn't talking about me) Also, the scar from the open tip incision is almost invisible and the alar base reduction scars are hardly visible.

Also my nose is still hard. I asked Mr Ion about this and he said that it would get a little softer, but it will still be harder than pre-op. This is because I had cartilage grafts for support and definition, and had a fair amount of work to make the tip smaller (seriously it's like at least 2/3 times smaller than pre-op) The columella is hard too. The hardness doesn't bother me, but I'd thought I'd mention it.

I am so glad that I chose Mr Ion as my surgeon, I don't feel I could have chosen a better surgeon. I am so pleased and happy with what he has done for me.

Feel free to ask any questions^^

1 Year Post Op

I had my rhinoplasty procedure with Mr Ion one year ago, 14th June 2013. I did a write up after and an update at six months. I have decided to do one last update with photos because maybe that would be useful to some people (because I found the decision to have the rhinoplasty procedure a very scary one to make)

I updated my picturetrail account with more photos. Just send me a message or leave a comment and I will give you the link and password.

I am still really very happy with the result that Mr Ion has given me^^ I would recommend him fully and I really believe that I could not have chosen a better surgeon^^. I still have times when I look in the mirror and feel so happy to see this nose (and sometimes I really can't believe it)

For me, it was strange to gradually forget how my old nose looked (I read beforehand on someone else's review that their surgeon said they would forget how their old nose looked, and all I thought was I'll never forget this nose, I hate it so much!!!) When I compare the before and after photos I really can't believe the change, and I am really so thankful to Mr Ion.

Now I can wear more minimal makeup without feeling uncomfortable, and I can wear clothes that I would never have felt comfortable in (like pinks and white, and more girly style)

For me, there were no downsides to this procedure. The feeling hasn't returned 100% to the tip but that doesn't really bother me too much. The tip will remain hard (due to grafts and techniques used to create the smaller tip), but I don't really care about that, it's worth it to have a smaller nose.

Overall I am really pleased with my result, and in my opinion Mr Ion is a really amazing surgeon. I really cannot express how grateful I am to Mr Ion^^
London Plastic Surgeon

Mr Ion is a really awesome surgeon. He is a member of baaps and bapras, and he specialises in rhinoplasty (and revision rhinoplasty as well) I always felt that I could really trust him and he always answered all my questions. He is really talented and skilled, and I feel that the work he did for my nose is really so amazing. I really couldn't have chosen a better surgeon

This has giving me a real good insight, I'm also considering considering using lon for my rhinoplasty, how much did it cost you all in total, also would i be able to see a before and after picture please :)
I'm glad that it was helpful^^ I would definitely recommend Mr Ion. In total I paid £6,050 which includes Mr Ion's fees and aftercare, hospital fees and the anaesthetist fees. I sent you a pm with a link and password for the photos ^-^
hello, glad you were happy with your results. its always nice to hear of happy endings. i have a consultation with him in October and im trying to gather as much info on him as a surgeon as possible. Can I see your before and after photos if you dont mind? :)
Hey, thanks for the post. Its great to find reviews like this when looking for a surgeon, really helpful and I'm glad your surgery went well. Could you inbox me with your pictures please? I've only signed up on this website so I'm actually not sure if I can receive inbox's yet.
Hi^^ I'm glad my post was helpful to you. I have sent you a pm with the link to my photos and the password~~ I hope you got it ok ^-^
hello, im happy you are pleased with the results. I'm considering having rhinoplasty too, is it possible to see your before and after pictures. Thanks !!
Hi^^ Thank you~~ I have sent you a pm with the password and the link to the photos ^-^
Hi thank you so much for your inspiring post. I desperately need a revision with grafts and for drooping tip. Could you send me the picture trail link please. Thank you xx
Hi^^ I'm glad you found my review helpful. I sent you a pm with the link and password. I had grafts in my tip for support and definition, and I think it has been done well~~
I'm so pleased for you that your op went well. I'm thinking of going with Lucion as he seems to have so many happy customers. Please could i see your photos? I have a feeling i have a similar nose to you (pre-op) and would love to see what he could achieve with mine. Congrats again x
Hi~~ I sent you a pm with a link and password for the photos. Thank you^^ I think that Mr Ion is a really amazing surgeon and I am really pleased with what he achieved with my nose.
Thanks so much for your helpful review and photos. I'm still scared but thanks to your detailed account and great results I've just booked my consultation! A big step for me!
I'm really glad that you found my review helpful. It makes me really happy that you think I have a great result^^ It was a big step for me when I booked my consultation; I was so scared! Good luck ^-^
hi KoakumaMiya! Thank you so much for sharing, hope this isn't getting too annoying but would also really appreciate it if you could share your pics with me please as I am seriously considering Mr Ion for mine ! THANK YOU!!! :)
Hi~~ Not at all, I'm glad to help^^ I sent you a pm with the link and password. Imho, Mr Ion is the best surgeon for rhinoplasty ^-^
HI KoakumaMiya, Thank you so much for sharing! I am seriously considering Mr Ion for my surgery. Please could you link me to your photos? Really appreciate it! :)
Hello, your story sounds so similar to how I've felt since I was 11 it's scary! I'm now 26 and have been wanting this procedure done for so many years, but feel perhaps now is the time to be brave. I have never felt pretty and always felt I had a manly nose, which never matched by girly-girl nature/dress sense etc. I hate photos of myself and also cover my nose when I laugh due to its long, down-pointing appearance. Lucian Ion sounds like he may well be the right surgeon for me - I don't see how I can carry on feeling so bad about myself for the rest of my days! I'd love to see some pictures of before and after your surgery, if you'd be happy to share them. Thanks so much.
Hi^^ I completely understand how you feel. It's really hard for a female to have a bad nose T^T Having rhinoplasty was a scary decision to make, but completely worth it, and Mr Ion is a really good surgeon and I am really so grateful to him. Anyway, I sent you a pm with the details^^
Can i just check with the group that you were all quoted a similar price. He starts at £6650 which is more expensive than other surgeons. Probably for good reason. Thanks
Thank you so much, you look absolutely stunning - if my nose can look anything like yours I will be one happy, transformed girl! I keep trying to kid myself that my nose is fine, but if I ever see close up photos (esp. my profile) I just burst into tears. I think I'm going to go ahead and book a consultation with him... your results look wonderful and you could easily be a model! Thank you again for sharing your journey and so much useful information :-) x
Thank you so much for your kind words ^^ That makes me so happy that you think that ^-^ I'm sure Mr Ion will be able to give you a nose just as nice (or nicer) than mine because he can create really nice and cute noses^^ I used to do the same too, I once asked my brother to take a photo of me in profile (so I could see if my nose looked as bad as I thought it did) and I just burst into tears too as soon as he showed it to me. I will never forget looking at my new nose for the first time after the cast off, I was just too happy for words. I would definitely recommend a consultation with Mr Ion~~ Thank you so much, that means alot to me that you think that^^ That's ok and I'm glad that it was helpful to you. Good luck ^-^
I paid £6,050 last year, but I understand that the total cost now comes to £6,550. Hope this helps~~
Hello, can you send me a link to your pictures please? And How much did it cost in GBP Thanks
Hi~~ I sent you a pm with the details^^
Hi, Thank you for sharing your story. I have been thinking about rhinoplasty for a while now andi have had one appointment with the HMG but i don't feel confident in the surgeon. I was looking at Matti until i stumbled across your post. Please can you send me the link too your pictures.