One of the Best Decisions I've Ever Made - I Had Tears of Joy! - London, ON

I had breast reduction surgery in December 2010,...

I had breast reduction surgery in December 2010, so I've had a lot of time to evaluate the results. I was 30 years old when I had the reduction, and my bra size was on average 34DD. I'm 5'4 and weighed about 155 lbs.

I had the surgery for 2 reasons - I had mid & upper back pain every day, and I was extremely embarassed about the appearance of my breasts. They were very saggy and had overly large areolae. I was worried about how they would look at age 40 if they already looked so bad at 30.

I wasn't sure how much relief I would get from the back pain, but I knew it could only get better. And aesthetically, the only place to go was up!

I'm lucky enough to live in Ontario,Canada, where this is covered by OHIP ( government health care ) so I didn't pay for one cent of the operation.

I couldn't be happier with the results of my reduction! I didn't realise how much the back pain was a constant source of irritation until it was gone - I had lived with the pain for so long - I think I just assumed that everyone had some degree of back pain & that I just had to suck it up & deal with it....I was wrong! I felt the difference almost immediately. I was afraid to get my hopes up just in case the pain meds were blocking the back pain, but as time went by and I reduced the meds, it never came back. The other huge bonus is the improvement in appearance. It's like they did a lift at the same time! My areolae are nice and small, and my breasts are high and firm. I joke that my breasts can now do magic tricks...when I take off my bra they levitate instead of dropping 3 inches!

Recovery was not a walk in the park, I'm not going to lie about that. I had a few issues that made the recovery take longer. For some reason my body didn`t like the stitches and was pushing them to the surface instead of letting them dissolve. I also had some wound seperation after the 2 week mark. It scared me but I guess it`s common for it to happen at this stage because the breasts are swelling as a result of all the white cells rushing to the area to heal the incision. This swelling causes more tension on the incisions, hence wound seperation.

I just want to add that even when I was in the toughest phase of recovery and had some extra challenges with the healing process, I never once regretted having the reduction. Even when it hurt the most, I knew I would do it over again. It`s a difficult decision to make, and other people may think you`re crazy because they don`t understand what it`s like to live in your body. My then fiancé (now husband) was dead set against it, but once he realised he couldn`t talk me out of it, he supported my decision 100%. And just so you know, he tells me how happy he is that I didn`t listen to him. He loves the look of my new breasts, and even though he`s never said so, I`m sure he`s thrilled that he doesn`t have to hear me constantly grouse about my back pain! Just listen to your gut about what surgeon you use ( I had a bad feeling about the first Dr I met with - it turned out to be well founded ) and you`ll be fine. Don`t worry about hurt feelings if the Dr`s not a good fit - you have to live with the results for the rest of your life, so please, do what`s right for you!
Best Wishes,
V.

Dr Brian Evans

This Dr really listened to what I wanted. He didn`t have before & after pics which concerned me a bit, but he`s old school - he doesn`t really advertise or anything. He`s been doing reductions for years, and friends of mine who are nurses at same hospital he works at raved about his skills. He`s also very kind. When I thanked him for doing such an amazing job, I had tears in my eyes. He actually looked really shy - he blushed a bit and said it was his pleasure and that he was happy that I was happy! Side Note: I made a folder that had before & after pics of results I loved AND hated...I think this really helps convey what you`re looking for. Try to use examples that are as close to your own breasts as possible.

Hey VB - I am in London as well AND I just had my consult with Dr. Evans. I am SO glad to read you review. Even though I loved him at my consult and everyone says he does amazing work it is wonderful to hear from someone first hand! Thank you so much!
You're very welcome, deka21! I'm so glad you found it to be helpful!
It's great that you decided to go with Dr. Evans - I truly believe you couldn't be in better hands! All the best with your surgery, & if you have any questions at all during the process, please don't hesitate to ask!
Hi Kirakira,
I'm so glad you're leaning towards the reduction! And I think your mum is so right about the best surgeons being busy by word of mouth . I've read time & again to avoid a Dr who doesn't have a ton of pics on display. If I had listened to this, I would have missed out on an amazing surgeon & I would hate for this to happen to anyone else. It's great that your mum has so much experience - you'll have no trouble finding a great surgeon! I can't overstate how much I believe in this procedure, If you really want it, I hope you go for it - it has one of the highest patient satisfaction rates for a good reason! All the best!!
Sounds wonderful! You are really inspiring me to go for it! Just a note for you: my Mum has worked in the breast unit of our local general hospital for over 30 years. She said the best surgeons don`t advertise - they don`t need to. They are overrun with work just through word of mouth. Sounds like you picked a good one!

Thanks for your review VB! You are about 8 months further along in the recovery than I am so it is good to know that you are so happy with your results 1 1/2 years out. I'll be 1 year in August and so far I have been very happy with the way I healed and the shape I have taken. I'm still a bit bigger than I had hoped to be, but when I look at those pictures of where I started, I can really see the improvement and the life my doctor provided!
Hi Iowa71,
I'm so glad that you had a positive experience as well! I know what you mean about looking back at pics to see the difference. When I found an old pre surgery bra I couldn't believe how huge it seemed! My breasts really didn't change in appearance after the one year mark, so I'm sure you'll be just as happy with your results as I am with mine!