My Rhinoplasty - Post Op 6 Months - London, KY

Hi! I realise that we never really hear from...

Hi! I realise that we never really hear from rhinoplasty patients post op after 3 months or so... so I've decided to share my rhino journey.

I got my septo-rhinoplasty open prodcedure done around 7 months ago. I had a huge cast on for a week, and then taping for a week after that. When my cast first came off, I remember being amazed at how small it was. I should have taken photos of it, but I didnt bring a camera or a phone, since the cast was off only for 10 mins or so, before the nurse put tape on my nose. A day after the cast came off, my nose started to swell up, even with the tape on.

From then on, everything seemed like it was going down hill. My tape was taken off, and my collumella and my nose tip looked HUGE... the collumella was hanging sooo much, it made my nose look almost worse than before I had the rhino. I was told by the doctor that I had thin skin, and no grafts or struts were used, so apparently my nose would loose all the swelling pretty quickly. That wasn't true!! I waited for 3 months, which absolutley no change at all, except that I had now developed a callus (a bump in the brigde of my nose which occurs as the bone repairs itself). I went in for the 3 month check up, and the surgeon told me to wait another 3 months. He said that in 3 months, my collumella should lift more, my tip should be less swollen, and my callus should be gone.

It felt like hell, being asked to wait ANOTHER 3 months for my nose to look better! Hadn't I done enough waiting??

But, I am writting to all your other rhino patients to tell you to please have patience... as much as it kills you! Because, this is what happened to me:

at around 5.5 months, one day, the tip of my nose got a weird red patch on it. When I felt it, it felt softer, not like the normal rock-hard tip I was used to. I thought nothing of it. The next day when I woke up, my collumella had totally shrunk. I was SOOO happy. it was just like, all of a sudden, my nose had decided to get smaller. Most people couldnt see any change, but I noticed a huge change because I looked at my nose all the time.

So since then, there hasnt been any more dramatic changes, I still have the callus on the bridge of my nose. But I am fairly happy with my tip, but I now know that it will definalty keep changing...on it's own accord!

If I could do it all over again, I think I would take Bromelain and Arnica 2 weeks pre and post op, and have a really low sodium diet 2 weeks pre and post op, and also ice my nose more in the 3 day period post op. I heard that someone did all these things on their revision rhino, and apparently their nose looked like it did at 5 months post op in the first rhino, just in the first month.

So moral of my story.... no matter how depressing it is, you really do have to wait. My nose still is not as small as I want it to be, so I am expecting to wait another 5 months (which will be a year post op) before I judge it!

Goodluck!

Graeme performed my rhino- expensive, but he is an...

graeme performed my rhino- expensive, but he is an excellent doctor. it has only been 7 months, so i cant fully judge the results yet, but so far i can see that he's done a great job. i went to Greensmith too for a consultation and Graeme was able to make my nose much much smaller than Greensmith said he could. Graeme also was very good with his time- ie, at appointments he didnt rush me, both in the before and after appointments, and put up with my millions of questions!!
Australia Plastic Surgeon

I really appreciate having your perspective at 6 months out. I am 10 days post op and have a very upturned nose. I didn't think anything of it when the cast came off because I thought it would drop pretty quickly - but still nothing and it definitely becomes disheartening! I wanted to change my profile but was happy with my face from the front and now feel like I look completely different. It is very hard to be patient and wait but this review helps a lot! Thank you!!

Thank you for sharing your experience. Your message 'to be  patient' will be really helpful for others going through rhinoplasty recovery.