Fraxel Restore - London

Want to share my journey through having fraxel...

Want to share my journey through having fraxel restore laser. I've suffered from acne for over 20 years on and off. Had scarring most of my adult life due to this and mostly dealt with it fine, as my skin texture has somewhat improved over the years (or maybe I have just got used to my reflection). Had a break out earlier this year and decided to try microdermabrasion to get rid off the pimples. I went to 3 different salons and had to stop the treatment program short as I came out of it with larger pores and wider and deeper scars. I also got some additional scarring, so after leaving it for a few months and using bio oil, I finally gave up and went to look for a solution. Fraxel seemed to be the best option, even though it doesn't give a full improvment. I had my first treatment yesterday at a Harley street clinic (went to see a few different doctors).

The treatment itself was quite painful and we decided that after 4 passes over my whole face, she would do the remaining 4 only on my cheeks (that's were most of my scarring is anyway). The laser was preformed by a nurse, but as I had done my research and visited several clinics, she was the one I felt most comfortable with. One doctor told me it would be pain free and I could go to work the next day - come on! The nurse gave me a serum to speed up the healing and that I will apply 3 times/day. So today I am very swollen and red, skin feels rough and due to the swelling it looks scar free - I know that the scars will re appear once swelling goes down, but it's been lovely to see a scar free face in the mirror for once. I'm staying inside for 3 days, eating healthy and keeping myself hydrated to help the healing process. I'm going to have 4 treatments and scheduled to see the nurse next week, for progress update and to set the date for the next treatment.

i just noticed you are in the UK. i am in Canada, so i guess i can't go to the same place, my bad...lol. although from your results, i am still going to give it a try. i just hope they are the same as yours.
your skin looks beautiful. no trace of the scarring at all left. because of your photos, i think i am going to try it. where did you say you got the procedure done again? hoping its close to home.....they don't drug you before you get it done i hope, as i don't want anyone to know what i had done, just that i look refreshed.....you should be very happy with those results. your skin looks like a twenty year olds now.

That is great that you are getting a glimpse of what your skin would look like scar free, even if its just while the swelling is there. Hopefully after your 4 sessions it will be a permanent change for you!!

Since you mentioned it was pretty uncomfortable I'd be interested to hear if anything was given to you to help you tolerate the procedure better, or did you just push through the best you could?

It's been 1 week since my treatment and my skin...

It's been 1 week since my treatment and my skin has healed very well. I was red for about 4 days and the swelling went down after 6 days. I still have some brown scab on my cheeks and I'm just letting it heal on it's own, without any scrub or peeling creams (nurses advice). At the moment my scars are a lot shallower especially the deeper and wider scars - I went to the clinic yesterday and the nurse could also see the improvement and was happy with the healing. I've mostly used the serum the clinic provided, but also Avène's cleanser and moisturizer for hypersensitive skin (or for skin after dermatology surgery). I haven't used any make up since the laser, but still felt much more confident when out and about due to the improvement in my skin texture. Next treatment is scheduled for the 1st of June, so will post before and after picture again...
hi your skin looks so young i myself had dermaroller and found it no good at all a waste of money but im looking at the moment into having the fraxel done i live near swansea so im looking for a good doctor localy ,looking farward to seeing the next lot photos good luck
Thank you for feedback about dermaroller. It's so difficult to find a treatment that is suitable. I'm counting down the days for my next treatment - 1 week to go now! I would recommend starting the treatments after summer if you can - a bit boring having to stay inside when the sun is shining.
I agree. My dermaroller was a waste of money too! The best thing for reducing acne scars, for me, has been microdermabrasion, gentle chemical peels, and retin A, and Azelaic acid (Finacea is the drug name: this is a good alternative to Retin A if you're trying to get pregnant.) I've never done Fraxel and now I don't think I ever will. I think a big smile goes a long way to overcome ugly acne scarring.

Had my 2nd fraxel treatment 2 weeks ago. This time...

Had my 2nd fraxel treatment 2 weeks ago. This time around the laser itself felt a lot more painful,- the nurse upped the settings so believe this is the reason. We had a little break midway, just to cool my face and again did 4 passes all over the face and then the other 4 on my problem areas,- cheeks and chin.
Due to the higher settings I was a lot more swollen and red afterwards and it took me a good 5 days until I could go out in public. I'm still a bit pink, but the redness is slowly fading.

So how do I look...the week after the treatment my face looked really smooth, but I knew this would be changing after the swelling settled,- therefore I also decided to wait for two weeks with my update.
My scars are definitely shallower,- I can't see the deeper scars at all anymore, which is great!

Saying that - I'm not too happy with my skin texture. My pores are very large on my cheeks and even though I had enlarged pores before the treatments, I'm unsure if they have become larger after fraxel. I mentioned this to the nurse and she said it might be more noticeable now when the scars are shallower. It's so difficult to judge when you look yourself in the mirror several times a day.. I'm still going ahead with the next 2 treatments, as I feel the positives outweighs the negatives. Could also notice how blocked my pores are after the treatment,- could almost pick the "gunk" out,- so this is not helping pore size either - have been using tee trea oil and manuka honey on my blocked pores and small areas of outbreak and it seems to be controlling it.
hey! I noticed the same thing with my pores.... I think whats happening is some pores are becoming "one." Two pores are becoming one and it makes them look larger but I do agree that the positives outweigh the negatives ;-) Good luck
Yes, hopefully it will improve a bit over the next treatments. Thanks!

Thanks for posting an update! I'm glad you feel the good is outweighing the bad at least. I know what you mean about it being hard to tell the difference when you are looking all the time.

I'm curious about the clogged pores. Any idea what is causing that? Maybe a cream you are using to soothe the skin or something?

So another 2 weeks have passed since my 2nd...

So another 2 weeks have passed since my 2nd treatment and unfortunately it's not looking great at the moment. The large pores are still very much there and visible and I also have some scratch like marks on my chin and cheeks. My skin looks very uneven, but at this point the acne scarring is my least worry. I went to the clinic a few days ago and was told that my skin hasn't healed yet and is still dry, so was given some serum to speed up the healing (that's why my face is so greasy in the pictures). So, I'm hoping that this will resolve the problem with the scratches and large pores, although I'm very aware of people seeing even more damage over time. I will not schedule any more laser treatments until I see a significant improvement in my skin.

UGH...hang in there!!

The only problem I had with the clinics I visited was their unwillingness to aknowledge that fraxel can cause damage to the skin. I knew what the risks were before I had laser due to the extensive research I did. But generally Fraxel does have a duty to highlight the risk of damage to the skin! Then it's up to the individual person to decide if they want to go through with the treatment or not. I went through with it despite of having the knowledge of the risks involved, so for me suing is not the answer.
I completely agree! The doctor who did my treatments denied that Fraxel could cause any damage. Yet the facts are that the company don't have sufficient in-depth research evidence to prove this! Their backup are only superficial studies that don't qualify as evidence that Fraxel (and other lasers) don't cause premature aging by ruining your skin.

In all fairness, if burning your skin would make us all younger, sun worshippers would all look younger those who avoid the sun. But everyone knows this is not the reality... Yet the suns rays don't penetrate the skin as deep as lasers.

It's been 2 months since my 2nd treatment and...

It's been 2 months since my 2nd treatment and unfortunately I am now treating laser damage rather than acne scarring. THe fraxel has caused my skin even more scarring, lines and also holes or pitted scars. I am now using psoria gold ultra to help my skin heal. Not expecting to see much improvment in the next few months, but my skin seem to tolerate psoria gold quite well and even reduced some acne I had on my chin.
Just realized I had already posted that story. Oh we'll, can't hurt to get it out there twice!
Has anyone tried the Clarisonic? Thinking of giving that a go first. $160 vs $3500 and no harm potential vs severe harm possible, I don't see how it could Hurt right?! Any personal clarisonic experiences? Y'all have me very hesitant on fraxel now so thank you for sharing your experiences!
I posted a comment about the Clarisonic below. I love it!

This is my update 6 months post fraxel. I'm still...

This is my update 6 months post fraxel. I'm still suffering from the same issues as my last update. Uneven skin tone, large pores, pitted scars and lines (micro scarring) and then of course my acne scars! So apart from my acne scars all other issues were caused by fraxel. I've been to two other consultations since regarding re cell, and both doctors told me that they have stopped doing fraxel - they did not want to go into the reasons too much, but the first doctor said it was because of the pin hole texture that some people can't get rid off afterwards. The second doctor did not think I should have re cell but endymed instead, which I looked into, but think it would do much for my skin after all.
I've added some pictures and my skin looks the same as my previous pictures, so same level of damage!
I have the EXACT same textural issue as you resulting from Fraxel. I don't know if the procedure was botched or I just didn't heal correctly, but what I do know is that I truly regret having it done. Four+ months have passed and mine's not getting any better either, unfortunately. Are you using Retin-A or considering any chemical peels? I hope there's a light at the end of the tunnel for us. Btw, texture issue aside, you have a very pretty face.
Sorry to hear about your skin. A doctor I met said that it just looks like my skin has been burned, so believe that is the issue. I don't think my skin will get better from any topical treatments anymore (tried retinol, but skin could not handle it). I've booked in for a fractional resurfacing treatment called endymed 3 deep on saturday and I'm very nervous about having any heat applied to my skin. This is a new radio frequency treatment that a doctor (who also does recell) thought would be my best option.. So hoping for the best!
Thank you for your comments. This really helped me decide. I had one treatment done, and the doctors recommended 3 more. I didn't see the results after the first one. I was red and swollen for only about 3 days. Then all was the same. Im on the obagi and Retine cream. I think im spelling retine wrong. The tube is up stairs. To lazy to go fetch.. Thanks again for your honesty. Hope you will recover to what you are expecting.

A quick update to say that I am now trying a new...

A quick update to say that I am now trying a new treatment to get rid of my fraxel damage. Very hestitant to put any heat on my skin, but finally decided to try endymed fractional skin resurfacing. It's a new radio frequency resurfacing and skin tightening treatment that a reliable doctor recommended. I have been to many, many consultations after my fraxel damage and this seemed to be the best option.
I had my first treatment 3 weeks ago and my skin healed well after the treatment. I can't see a dramatic improvement to my scarring, but will have at least 2 more treatments and will post pictures after these.
We'd love to hear how you've been since your last update! How did you make out with the Fractional Skin Resurfacing treatment?
It's been a year and a half. I'm still very sorry I did it. My skin is thinner, orange peel texture and scared from where the doctor went too deep. I was left with a large pock mark on my cheek, right in front and close to my nose and hypopigmentation in the areas he did several passes on. This is in spite of staying far away from the sun. I'd never do it again.
Why wouldn't the doctor try recell? Here in the US we're still waiting for it to be approved. Do many doctors use it there? I'm trying to look up results from people who have tried it but I can't find any. Can you fill us in about recell and if doctors are using it there?