Fraxel Restore - London

Want to share my journey through having fraxel...

Want to share my journey through having fraxel restore laser. I've suffered from acne for over 20 years on and off. Had scarring most of my adult life due to this and mostly dealt with it fine, as my skin texture has somewhat improved over the years (or maybe I have just got used to my reflection). Had a break out earlier this year and decided to try microdermabrasion to get rid off the pimples. I went to 3 different salons and had to stop the treatment program short as I came out of it with larger pores and wider and deeper scars. I also got some additional scarring, so after leaving it for a few months and using bio oil, I finally gave up and went to look for a solution. Fraxel seemed to be the best option, even though it doesn't give a full improvment. I had my first treatment yesterday at a Harley street clinic (went to see a few different doctors).

The treatment itself was quite painful and we decided that after 4 passes over my whole face, she would do the remaining 4 only on my cheeks (that's were most of my scarring is anyway). The laser was preformed by a nurse, but as I had done my research and visited several clinics, she was the one I felt most comfortable with. One doctor told me it would be pain free and I could go to work the next day - come on! The nurse gave me a serum to speed up the healing and that I will apply 3 times/day. So today I am very swollen and red, skin feels rough and due to the swelling it looks scar free - I know that the scars will re appear once swelling goes down, but it's been lovely to see a scar free face in the mirror for once. I'm staying inside for 3 days, eating healthy and keeping myself hydrated to help the healing process. I'm going to have 4 treatments and scheduled to see the nurse next week, for progress update and to set the date for the next treatment.

It's been 1 week since my treatment and my skin...

It's been 1 week since my treatment and my skin has healed very well. I was red for about 4 days and the swelling went down after 6 days. I still have some brown scab on my cheeks and I'm just letting it heal on it's own, without any scrub or peeling creams (nurses advice). At the moment my scars are a lot shallower especially the deeper and wider scars - I went to the clinic yesterday and the nurse could also see the improvement and was happy with the healing. I've mostly used the serum the clinic provided, but also Avène's cleanser and moisturizer for hypersensitive skin (or for skin after dermatology surgery). I haven't used any make up since the laser, but still felt much more confident when out and about due to the improvement in my skin texture. Next treatment is scheduled for the 1st of June, so will post before and after picture again...

Had my 2nd fraxel treatment 2 weeks ago. This time...

Had my 2nd fraxel treatment 2 weeks ago. This time around the laser itself felt a lot more painful,- the nurse upped the settings so believe this is the reason. We had a little break midway, just to cool my face and again did 4 passes all over the face and then the other 4 on my problem areas,- cheeks and chin.
Due to the higher settings I was a lot more swollen and red afterwards and it took me a good 5 days until I could go out in public. I'm still a bit pink, but the redness is slowly fading.

So how do I look...the week after the treatment my face looked really smooth, but I knew this would be changing after the swelling settled,- therefore I also decided to wait for two weeks with my update.
My scars are definitely shallower,- I can't see the deeper scars at all anymore, which is great!

Saying that - I'm not too happy with my skin texture. My pores are very large on my cheeks and even though I had enlarged pores before the treatments, I'm unsure if they have become larger after fraxel. I mentioned this to the nurse and she said it might be more noticeable now when the scars are shallower. It's so difficult to judge when you look yourself in the mirror several times a day.. I'm still going ahead with the next 2 treatments, as I feel the positives outweighs the negatives. Could also notice how blocked my pores are after the treatment,- could almost pick the "gunk" out,- so this is not helping pore size either - have been using tee trea oil and manuka honey on my blocked pores and small areas of outbreak and it seems to be controlling it.

So another 2 weeks have passed since my 2nd...

So another 2 weeks have passed since my 2nd treatment and unfortunately it's not looking great at the moment. The large pores are still very much there and visible and I also have some scratch like marks on my chin and cheeks. My skin looks very uneven, but at this point the acne scarring is my least worry. I went to the clinic a few days ago and was told that my skin hasn't healed yet and is still dry, so was given some serum to speed up the healing (that's why my face is so greasy in the pictures). So, I'm hoping that this will resolve the problem with the scratches and large pores, although I'm very aware of people seeing even more damage over time. I will not schedule any more laser treatments until I see a significant improvement in my skin.

It's been 2 months since my 2nd treatment and...

It's been 2 months since my 2nd treatment and unfortunately I am now treating laser damage rather than acne scarring. THe fraxel has caused my skin even more scarring, lines and also holes or pitted scars. I am now using psoria gold ultra to help my skin heal. Not expecting to see much improvment in the next few months, but my skin seem to tolerate psoria gold quite well and even reduced some acne I had on my chin.

This is my update 6 months post fraxel. I'm still...

This is my update 6 months post fraxel. I'm still suffering from the same issues as my last update. Uneven skin tone, large pores, pitted scars and lines (micro scarring) and then of course my acne scars! So apart from my acne scars all other issues were caused by fraxel. I've been to two other consultations since regarding re cell, and both doctors told me that they have stopped doing fraxel - they did not want to go into the reasons too much, but the first doctor said it was because of the pin hole texture that some people can't get rid off afterwards. The second doctor did not think I should have re cell but endymed instead, which I looked into, but think it would do much for my skin after all.
I've added some pictures and my skin looks the same as my previous pictures, so same level of damage!

A quick update to say that I am now trying a new...

A quick update to say that I am now trying a new treatment to get rid of my fraxel damage. Very hestitant to put any heat on my skin, but finally decided to try endymed fractional skin resurfacing. It's a new radio frequency resurfacing and skin tightening treatment that a reliable doctor recommended. I have been to many, many consultations after my fraxel damage and this seemed to be the best option.
I had my first treatment 3 weeks ago and my skin healed well after the treatment. I can't see a dramatic improvement to my scarring, but will have at least 2 more treatments and will post pictures after these.

Hi I'm going through the same worries as am the OP. I was just wondering how the progress has gone so far. Thanks.
Bacella how is your skin now after the endymed fractional laser? I am in despair I dont know why my skin has all of a sudden gone so bad?? I have used Psoria Gold for nearly two months and all i can think of it made swelling go away and revealed the true damage? My holes are very deep looking and I feel skin overall is lot more in worse state what it was six months ago, and where my acne scars were the skin looks weird like there is scartissue underneath I am not sure,but things are getting worse and worse. I fear this is what I am stuck with and I can't mentally cope with that. Did you try MSM or CPs or anything while recovering and did you use anything after endymed laser you had? I have given up on living life, I know I will not be here if this goes any worse and never get any better.
I'm really sorry to hear about your damage and how you struggle. I felt endymed fsr (its more of a radiofrequency) did help even my skin out. It took away some of the streaky skins and evened out some "bumps". I stopped after 2 treatments cause my acne flared up and my skin was really red. My skin has now recovered and I feel content at the moment with how my skin is. Saying that it's far from good or perfect, but I guess I have learned to live with my appearance. I have used psoria on and off, it really helped my skin when it was red and patchy, but now I have stopped as I felt it did dry my skin after a while and made it streaky. I took a lot of vitamin and collagen supplements when recovering, but don't think they really helped. I had monthly holistic facials (lots of oils and facial massages, led light..) and I felt they helped a little. Please don't give up, I'm sure this is just a bump in the road for you and you will get better!
Hi glad to hear you had some improvement! Did you feel the holes in the skin possibly got better as well?I find that the Psoria can dry my skin but I use MSM cream as well which helps to hydrate my skin. I am just so bummed about the texture and these holes. I heard massaging can help the scarring underneath so I start doing that as well. Thanks for the support and keep us posted of how you go((:
I haven't had the fraxel although was thinking of it. Although my skin was never perfect, I had lived with it many many years, having one dermabrasion when I was in my late 20s. My scars are pitted for the most part but are what they call superficial rolling scars. When I was younger my skin always bothered me although dermatologists said I didn't need anything. My skin really started to get bad after using juvederm and restylane over last few years. My scars are superficial but show up a lot under those elevator and some restaurant overhead lights, etc which really depresses me. So I had juvederm and then restylane, and I don't know if I had an allergic reaction or what, but my skin became completely bumpy. I then had a cyst removed, even though the doc said it wouldn't cause scar, it left me with a large depression on my cheek. I went in to have it filled with restylane, and I don't know what he did, but not only is the depression still there, but I have something that looks like scar tissue underneath, there is a large area lighter than my normal skin, and lumpy. I feel so completely depressed, I even got to wearing a bandaid on my cheek. I am so self conscious about my skin now. I really don't know what to do because I am afraid of the lasar. I saw a doctor who said it's like who is driving a car, a cautious experienced driver won't have problems but an inexperienced one will and the lasar will work well but if I am depressed now, and the lasar goes bad, I will be suicidal. I am going to look into the endymed fsr though.
Hey before you do any more damage to your face, google systematic enzymes and see if you could possibly try something like that first. Lasers peels fillers, all are making more damage in long run , maybe they are designed like that I don't know. Be carefull of doing any invasive treatments they all seem to leave their mark.
Which do you recommend?
Have you thought about derma rolling? It will take time but it does work for a lot of people...and it's a lot less risky than lasers. Good luck!!
Enzyme is called serrapeptase, mainly a supplement for overall health, chronic pain etc but also some people reported scars getting smaller ( c section scars old injuries) Google more about it but I thought I'll give it a go
which dermaroller do you recommend? which make?
I get professional dermaroller treatments. They use the Genuine Dermaroller. I know people get results from home rolling though. The brands/websites referenced a lot are Dr. Roller and owndoc. You need 1.0-1.5mm to stimulate collagen production. Good luck!
Did you get the 'antidote' that dissolves the HA fillers overnight? Maybe that would help the lumpy skin you feel underneath?
I'd be really interested to hear how things are going for you now. I have very similar skin to yours. Too scared for lasers so I'm trying dermarolling.
Hello... to the ladies that are talking about the dermaroller. I have used both the dermaroller and dermastamp with success. Mind you I have fairly mild/shallow scarring and I actually performed the treatments myself after many months of research. I like the dermastamp a little better than the roller and I did around 5 treatments one month apart. Like other scar removal treatments, the micro swelling will fool you at first but after 3 to 4 treatments you should begin to see improvements. The only drawback for me is the hyperpigmentation I got from the needling (I'm African American). Even though the discoloration bothers me the indented scarring depressed me even more. Recently, I quit dermarolling/dermastamping so I can address the hyperpigmentation (prescription strength hydroquinone and tretinoin 0.025). So I'm really hoping that I'll get even more smoothing of my skin and the discoloration will fade with these products. It's been nearly two months since my last needling session and the improvements that I achieved are still there. In my opinion, with research (or a good dr), the right protocol, and proper aftercare, needling can be a great alternative to laser with less risks. Hope this helps :)
i don't understand what discoloration can result from dermarolling/stamping, does it become red, is the discoloration permanent?
Hi how are you now, is your skin any better? My skin has exactly the same texture as yours and I am 13months post fraxel, I hate what they did to us)= One derm said nothing will get rid of the texture apart maybe another laser or dermabrasion but I am way too scared, specially after this.
Hello! My skin is a bit better - the endymed fractional skin resurfacing helped quit a bit to remove lines and get rid of the holes. Unfortunately I ended up with couperose (which I beleive was initally caused by the laser anyway) so I only had 2 treatments. I'm going to leave my skin for now, it's still far to fragile and thin to have anymore treatments. It is scary to think about having any more laser after going through what we've been through. Good Luck!
good luck let us know how your healing is going! Glad to hear something is helping all the best
hi i wonder if there any update from this posting....If you are happy with the reults of the endymed fractional skin resurfacing?
I just asked a PS about this endymd fractional skin resurfacing and he says it is mostly for skin rejuvenation but that CO2 fractional lasar better for acne scars.....I'm confused, b/c with all negative comments I am reluctant to do the CO2.
If everything goes well CO2 will probably give you a better result, but it comes with much higher risks! I'm happy with the results I had from endymed. I only had two treatments, cause my skin was too fragile from fraxel and I developed couperose. If I had to choose today I would do endymed instead of fraxel, it is cheaper and not as harsh on the skin. Good Luck!
He said he doesn't do endymed although I can check to find someone who does. Aside from the couperose did you find the fraxel (this is the same as the CO2, correct?) helped with scarring? And it was the endymd that actually helped with the couperose then, or also for the scarring? Sorry to ask so many questions.
Again, I just wonder after your first fraxel treatment you seemed content, and do you think you would have been satisfied with only one of those treatments, since it appears the problem happened after the 2nd treatment?
Fraxel and CO2 are two different laser treatments - you need to check the reviews for CO2 laser to get more information. But any laser comes with risks. I was supposed to have 5 fraxel treatments and after the first one I couldn't see any improvements, it was the 2nd treatment that damaged my skin for life. I developed couperose after the endymed, however endymed did even out my skin texture a little. When it comes to fraxel it seems to be going out of "fashion" a lot of clinics have stopped doing it due to customers being unhappy and being sued. CO2 has been around longer than fraxel.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-