Sure Glad My Insurance Paid For This One - Lodi, CA

I had a large lipoma removed from just below a...

I had a large lipoma removed from just below a shoulder blade. It was growing rapidly, and was actually big enough to cause discomfort. My MD referred me to a surgeon who scheduled an out-patient surgery in a hospital. I was shocked when I discovered the hospital (JUST the hospital, not the surgeon) fee was more than $10,000. I had just had a similar-sized lipoma removed from my large dog, for less than $300. It really had to be done because it made sleeping and driving uncomfortable, but I still wonder if the fee was an insurance scam. They used a liquid suture and I had an allergic reaction to it, and the thing itched like crazy for several years.

I'm not sure it should have cost this much, which was enough to bother me even though I wasn't paying for it. The provider was essentially assigned to me.

Thanks for sharing your experience, bambibones. That fee does seem high (right now the average cost reported here on RealSelf is £1,575) but at least it was covered. Have you had any trouble with lipomas since?