I Hope the Lisp Wears off - Livonia, MI

5 days ago I had lingual braces put on my top...

5 days ago I had lingual braces put on my top teeth and regular speed braces put on my lower teeth. My bite has been affected- I cannot chew comfortably and it hurts to bite down. Today is the first day I can function without pain killer, which I have heard takes a few days. My true issue is with the change in my speech. I say my s sound horribly as well as st- and th-. I am a teacher so my speech is very important. Since I had crowding on my top teeth I have a spring spreading my teeth apart (not sure if everyone gets this) but I have a feeling this makes my speech even worse. So while you cannot see my braces at all, you can tell something is up because of the way I talk, therefore I have to end up explaining to people anyway. If I had to go back I would get the clear braces (ceramic) and be done faster as well.

Dr. Shaw

My ortho was recommended by multiple friends as well as my dentist. I asked all the questions I wanted at my consultation and he explained everything in detail. The only thing negative was the payment schedule. You have no choice of how long to spread your payments out. It is only a two year period and whatever the monthly payment is, you have to do it.

Sorry to hear the adjustment period isn't going very smoothly. :-/ If you can, give it 2 weeks and see if things have improved at that point. If not, you could always ask your orthodontist about switching to the ceramic ones. My guess is there would be a little extra cost associated with the switch, but you never know, and it would be worth looking into if you were really unhappy.

Please keep us posted on how you are doing!