Success! :) - Lehigh Valley, PA

I really had to take initiative to get my parents...

I really had to take initiative to get my parents to consider letting me get a rhinoplasty-- in fact, it took years, and the (blunt) advice of a modeling agent. I had to draft a Microsoft Word document of twenty pages with details about the procedure, costs, pictures, and advice for recovery time. I got a whole bunch of names and addresses of local doctors and, finally, in the summer of my junior year at high school, I went to the doctor's office to get my first consultation.

Although I was told that the "soonest I could be squeezed in" would probably be about Thanksgiving break, a space opened up, and I got my nose job bright and early at six in the morning on August 23 2012.

Surprisingly enough, IT DID NOT HURT AT ALL. And, that's kind of a lot coming from me. I'm kind of an indoor cat, or, as some might say-- a girly girl. The thing that hurt the most was the IV needle in my arm. I had watched a bunch of nose-job vlogs on Youtube, and almost all of the patients claimed it didn't hurt. I didn't believe them however, and I prepared myself for the worst.

While it didn't hurt, please let me emphasize that it was not a fun time. It was extremely uncomfortable and I really didn't sleep that much afterward. I just watched a lot of Dexter and Netflix for the first few days. Really did not have a problem with eating, although I couldn't taste my food while the packing was in my nose. (The packing fell out while I was sleeping the night after I got my procedure. My bedsheets got streaked with blood-- ech-- but I could breathe immediately. It was great)

I had bruising and a good amount of facial swelling though so I really didn't care to go out in public. I got so, so bored. And, unfortunately, because the procedure was right at the end of summer, I had to go to my first two days of high school (and college, for a class I was taking at a local campus) with the cast on my nose. I don't really want to call it a cast, though, because it was so small it looked more like a thick band aid. That was kind of embarrassing because it was a bad and attention-attracting look.

I took a few pain pills to "be on the safe side" and avoid any sudden sears of pain but I stopped the unnecessary meds immediately because they didn't suit well with my bowels.

The rhinoplasty was an open rhinoplasty, which means the doctor made an incision between my two nostrils, and lifted the skin up and worked that way. He made two incisions on either side of my nose at about the level of my eyes-- maybe you can see them in the green collage. The incisions look like dots. An open rhinoplasty admittedly sounds gross and more invasive than a closed rhinoplasty, but my doctor had really solid reasoning-- he said that an open rhinoplasty would "save" more of my nasal mucous membrane. Apparently that really gets torn up when doctors work up through the nostrils. And he said that he could better see what he was doing and that it made for greater accuracy.

So, I had about five or six-- not sure-- Frankenstein looking stitches for about about a week. Taking the stitches out was the second most painful part of my rhinoplasty LOL. Before they were taken out, I had to clean them twice a day with a half hydrogen peroxide and half water concoction to keep the blood from crusting around the stitches. Other than that, there really was no maintenance.

When I got my cast off, I was thrilled. The outcome was better than what I had dared to expect. My doctor didn't use any kind of software to formulate a picture of what I might look like, so I completely had to trust him. He said that he had done hundreds of procedures, though, and he was a well-spoken, articulate, smart man who answered all of my questions very well and I had no qualms about his abilities. I have to admit though... it was nice to see that my confidence had not been in vain when we took the bandage off. :)

I'm really a lot more confident about how I look now. It takes a year for the swelling to go down all the way, but I feel like I look great. It's not a perfect nose-- it's actually bowed a little bit. Sometimes when the light hits it, it kind of looks "C" shaped. I really don't care though, because it looks natural. I had a deviated septum and bone spurs from a skiing accident and I breathe a lot better now, as well.

The only thing that bothers me-- and this is a little bit strange-- is that, if I have kids, they're going to have my old nose and I'm not. It's hard to explain, but I feel like it wouldn't be completely fair to them-- passing down a nose that I decided to ditch. We won't be able to "stick it out together" and that makes me kind of sad.

Thanks for sharing your story. I enjoyed reading it, and can also relate about the kids comment. I only have one 14 year old boy, and I hope he doesn't have my nose, but if he does, it'll probably be okay since my nose was masculine. On the other hand, he has commented that he might want to get his ears fixed one day, so maybe he has learned from me that plastic surgery is okay for the right reasons. I will have to make sure I emphasize that. Thanks for the reminder, and continued good luck to you. You look like a model !!

I totally get it. I do have kids and it looks like my daughter will inherit my nose. Or some version of it. I see a lot of talks in our future. :)

You look absolutely stunning. Thank you so much for posting your wonderful review.

I have a daughter and I really really want to get my nose done! She's only 14 months so I can't totally tell yet if she has mine or my husbands nose .... Although looks more like his. But if she does end up with mine I wouldn't care if she wanted to get her nose done down the road too. ;) I will always think she's the most beautiful girl in the world with or without my nose. ;)
Lehigh Valley Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery