Shattered Nose in Accident - Layton, UT

I am a patient of Dr. John Bitner, I wanted to...

I am a patient of Dr. John Bitner, I wanted to write a review so that nervous potential Rhinoplasty or revision Rhinoplasty patients can have some peace of mind, my story is somewhat unique.
In my early teen years I broke my nose, middle twenties I finally had surgery to remove the bump on the bridge and to correct a breathing issue. The day the cast was removed it was smashed, one year later repaired. Jump twenty five years later, I experience an accident and crush my nose, fragmenting multiple pieces of bone which needed surgery before the bones started to heal, needless to say I was a mess. The ER gave me some Plastic Surgeons’ names and I selected a wonderful Dr. who performed an amazing surgery the first part of 2013, prior to the surgery he informed me that there would need to be a second surgery and that all he could do on this one was to puzzle piece the bones as best he could to create a nose. On my return visit to him, he suggested I go to a Mayo Clinic colleague of his that specialized in Rhinoplasty. I was devastated at first because I had developed a confidence in him but now appreciate so much his integrity that he was looking out for my well-being.
My visit to Dr. John Bitner was full of apprehension and fear, the surgery is tough. The staff was great from the start, the 3D imaging opened my eyes to what he could do like a work of art, and with my other surgeon’s recommendation, I moved ahead. I am so happy with my results. To give a run down on the revision: the nose was concaved on one side, the tip of my nose was off balance to my face, my septum’s were destroyed, there were still some bones that needed to be shaved off, the bridge was too wide so glasses wouldn’t fit. The most amazing part is the cartilage had to be removed and reversed, shaved down and sculptured to fit my face. Pretty impressive! I am so grateful to Dr. Bitner, I hoped and prayed for a great result but my results far exceeded my expectations.
Thank you so much Dr. Bitner and Team!

Thank you for sharing your story here on RealSelf! I'm so sorry you had so many accidents and nasal injuries, but it sounds like your nose is looking and functioning very well now. Happy for you!
Wow what a story and what a great surgeon! ! Congratulations. I wish you would share some photos.
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Bitner is an amazing, caring person, extremely skilled surgeon and has an amazing staff