53 Years Old, Had Braces 40 Years Ago

I've only had my retainers a week and am still...

I've only had my retainers a week and am still learning what I can and cannot do. I am a 53-year-old who had braces almost 40 years ago but whose teeth had rebounded after having wisdom teeth removed, especially around a broken tooth with a crown - right in front. My original overbite and overjet is mostly back.

I go to a highly-regarded orthodontist in my area. We're doing Invisalign Express with 10 trays, with the understanding that it may not be quite enough, and I may have to have additional ones - with the regular Invisalign fee. However, my dr. thinks he can make any additional necessary correction with a retainer, without having to go that route.

The pain I mention above is from cuts on my lips from the lip spreaders, at first. Now that they've healed, I have none.

It's really too early to rate my satisfaction and determine its worth.

Update:  I am one week thru my seventh set of...

Update:  I am one week thru my seventh set of aligners (of ten), and the large gap at the crown in front is completely closed already.  I see some improvement in my overbite/overjet and I hope by the time I finish with the tenth set, it will be completely corrected.  However, Dr Evans did tell me he might need to do some additional tweaking afterward with a regular retainer.  My teeth have remained a little sore most of the time on these last two sets of aligners, but not too bad - I just see it as proof that they're doing their job.  Overall, I'm very pleased.

Can one enjoy sugar-free peppermints with the retainers in without having to remove them and brush afterwards?

Lawrence B. Evans

He seems very well informed and very caring.

Can you tell me the name of the orthodontist you went to here in Lawrenceville, GA? I am considering getting Invisalign but am new to the area. Thanks

{edited} - all the dentists in the area highly recommend him. I was told he was more expensive than some, but I wanted someone who I knew was good and who had some experience with Invisalign - some of the others who offer them don't really seem to have many patients who use them, so I questioned their actual experience with them. I found my cost to be quite reasonable for them compared to all I'd seen and heard despite what I'd heard about his prices.

Edited by Sharon: We've added your dentist's name to the review. Thank you!
I would say no. Anything except water will cause cavities, as the saliva is not "washing" your teeth 24/7 as when there are no liners.
No. I once did the same thing one night before falling asleep and when I woke up my aligners were stained. From then on I just ate them and then brushed and put my aligners back in. Hope all goes well.
I don't know this 100% (I am about 1 1/2 weeks in myself) but my dr pretty much indicated that sugar free drink are ok (like crystal light). Therefor, I would assume that sugar free mints would be ok. Maybe just swish with a little water after if it is available.
According to some of the Dr. posts here, even sugar-free drinks are not OK because they can be acidic and can damage enamel while trapped inside the aligner. That's what made me post the question about mints for the doctors to answer. Thanks!