Laser Dermabrasion - NYC

About 15 years ago, I had my entire face lasered...

About 15 years ago, I had my entire face lasered to remove sun damage and brown spots. I did it at my dermatologist's (moneymaking) suggestion, since I had just gone in for some spot removal.

It left my face looking like a skinned knee for about two terrible weeks - oozing, red and scabbed (although if you use the suggested ointment, it doesn't actually scab, and therefore, doesn't scar.) It was a godawful disaster, though, and I thought I was out of my mind to have done it.

Very gradually, it healed to a bright pink (like a knee would) and then to a paler pink, and finally, to skin again. And here's the amazing thing. I had a child's skin. Pink cheeks, no blemishes, no wrinkles. And that skin has lasted for 15 years!!!__so today, I still look 15 years younger than I am (I'm 70). Of all the procedures I've had (facelifts, etc), this one is by far the most lasting and effective. To get the full benefit, I suspect you should do it before you're too old. Like my age!

Sounds like a laser treatment, not dermabrasion. Can you find out exactly what it was, and what laser he used?
It was the very first laser to come out.

The only procedure I was satisfied with was the...

The only procedure I was satisfied with was the aforementioned. One other was a disaster.

They've now moved this thread from "dermabrasion" to Laser resurfacing.
I think you didn't have dermabrasion. From your comment below, you had surface ablative laser?
CO2 is said to potentially leave the skin a "waxy" white, absent the "glow" we lose as we age. This is also true of a phenol chemical peel, the deepest peel, which leaves the skin without lines, but unfortunately without color or depth. I am almost convinced that the new suggested protocol for older women is a series of peels, be it chemical or laser, is the way to go. The responsible doctors are recommending five to six lighter peels, done two months apart. It certainly is painstakingly slow, but you lessen the risk of damaging thinner skin. As to your question "what kind of CO2?", I've heard pro's and con's about fractional, most of the con's have been on this website. I'm still not educated enough to form an opinion.
New York Dermatologic Surgeon

He does a decent job, but he's a showboat and a salesman. Big on PR, not so big on patients. Want to be treated like meat? Here's your chance.