Glad I Had Rhinoplasty - CA

My nose has always been crooked with one nostril...

My nose has always been crooked with one nostril smaller than the other. I had never liked my profile due to the hump on my nose and the long look of my nose. Rhinoplasty wasn't something I 'had' to do but one of those things in life that I have always wondered 'what if.' I'm so glad I took the leap to do this for myself.

I had surgery on 12/14/11. My doctor is an authority on rhinoplasty and has spoken at engagements around the world this year on the crooked nose. It was important to me that the integrity of my nose stay the same so I would still be 'me.' He straightened my nose and took off the hump. Since I wasn't shortening the length, he suggested a chin implant to enhance the overall result so my chin wouldn't look so receding.

The chin implant was not something I planned on and I was hesitant about a silicone implant in my chin. I don't quite like the frontal look so far as there is a lot of swelling through the nose and chin. However, I can really see the difference in my profile, a huge improvement that now I like to look at myself from the side!

Thank you Angiemcc! I look forward to writing an update once my swelling has gone down more!

You look great! Wow, your nose is so pretty and I think your chin looks very balanced. Thank  you for sharing your story and photos here on RealSelf. I'm sure you're helping countless others with what you've written.

Hello all! Posted some new pics. It's 25 days post...

Hello all! Posted some new pics. It's 25 days post op and I'm finally starting to feel myself again. The swelling has gone down significantly recently. The bridge of my nose and chin areas still have swelling but it's amazing to see the transformation as it gets progressively better. I am taping my nose every night and it helps a great deal. I miss wearing sunglasses!! But keep my nose protected with big hats and sunscreen. Looking forward to another follow up with the doc tomorrow!

Thanks you very much for ur responds
I am nervous as hell lol but excited
I like ur results ;)
I will make sure to write to u if I have anything else ;)
Hi BrazilianGypsy thanks for the comment! No, he does not pack noses. I had a drip pad under my nose that caught the discharge. Over the first few days I had to change the pad every few hours. The key was staying rested and calm, so my body would heal. Also, staying propped up by a few pillows awake or sleeping and being sure not to lean forward. After about the fourth day I didn't need the drip pad anymore but always carried a tissue. I hear it is much more comfortable when they don't pack the nose, although I really had to breathe out of my mouth for the first week because there were stitches & healing tissue filling up the nostrils. He removed the cast off my nose by Day 7 and that was very exciting. Any other questions let me know!
U look great! Natural looking nose... I am looking for natural results for mine! I have a question...Did ur PS pack ur nose?

Hi All! The time passes so slow when first...

Hi All! The time passes so slow when first recovering that it's hard to think that results will come. Then before you know it, months have passed! I am now 4 1/2 months post op and just took a photo of myself, below. Wow am I amazed at how my nose has taken such great shape. The doctor says there is still swelling that will go down and I won't see it's true result until the one year mark but boy, do I like it now. I haven't visited the site in awhile but it sure was helpful to see from other posts that good things come after a lot of rest, patience and time. It's good to reflect back on what I have been through and how far my nose has come. For any of you out there who just had surgery, if you're going through that awful period of hiding out, sleeping propped up on your back, feeling like a swollen mess and questioning what you have done - Don't! It's worth it, just hang in there!

Hi, How are you doing? You haven't posted any updates for awhile and I would love to know how your nose has progressed. I hope you still love it!
You look great, and natural! How much was the procedure? Did you have any other consults in the area?
How long did you have to go without wearing sunglasses?
Orange County Plastic Surgeon

Doctor an expert in his field, had a clear understanding of my goals and provided the result I was looking for. Staff is very caring, knowledgeable and helpful, always ready to answer questions which is a big help before and after surgery. Follow up appointments going very well so far, even accommodated me around Christmas when I needed attention.