RN 72 Yo Female - Lafayette, LA

Had Juvaderm Voluma XC injected into cheeks to...

Had Juvaderm Voluma XC injected into cheeks to reduce nasolabial lines. Two days later in a coma dying. Lidocaine in formulary crossed blood/brain barrier. Never been allergic to lidocaine before. But Voluma is injected deeper than other Juvaderm products. Don't use it. It has only been approved by the FDA for 6 months. I know I am not the first or last to have this happen to. I was lucky to live and warn others

Juvaderm Voluma XC Dangerous

Almost dying is not worth fuller cheeks and fewer wrinkles. Juvaderm is not my friend
Dr Akshey Gupta

He was qualified but refused to talk after my near death

Wow, reading your story and the comments below of patients who also had problems with Voluma is scary. I am glad that you are OK! I am sadden to read that your surgeon would not talk to you after the hospitalization. Some doctors are so afraid of litigation that it can cause them to behave as your doctor did. What he did was wrong to ignore you. He should have taken care of you as his patient and not worried about CYA. Most patients I have spoken to just want their doctors to fix the complication. Anyway, moving on, if I would have read your review sooner I may not have gotten Voluma. It worked out fine for me, but I think so much of that has to do with the expertise of the injector. I wonder if your injector injected it too deeply or if there really is a fatal flaw with the product as you say, since it has only been in market since October. Did anyone at the hospital explain if it was the injector or the product that was at fault? Continued good health and healing to you!
I'm so sorry to hear about your experience.  Once you were out of he hospital, how did things go for you as far as a recovery?  Do you feel "normal" again or are you still experiencing any side effects?
That is horrific! I am so glad you are okay. I have had an infection for about 7 weeks now and didn't respond to any antibiotics and the lump under my left eye can't be dissolved with Hyaluronidase. I did one steroid injection that did nothing. I had Voluma and Restylane so I am not sure which one was the problem. These companies should issue a very strong warning about injecting any filler in the tear trough area because if you do have a problem it is not as easy to fix as they make it seem. The whole selling point of these HA fillers is that if you don't like it and want it reversed, all you have to do is use the Hyaluronidase and your back to normal. My doctor had no idea what to do and said he had never seen anything like it and was unaware of any reports which I had to point out was untrue. He suggested I find someone who had experience with complications. If a doctor doesn't know what to do, then don't inject this stuff into patients. I never signed a waiver or was told of any biofilm infections or granulomas. Thank you for sharing your story! Be well.
I think there needs to be a clsss action suit. I was never warned that this could be life threatening. My surgeon refused to talk to me after my hospitalization
My surgeon never gave me a waiver or told me anything about biofilm infections and granulomas. My left eye is disgusting and can't go out, I cry every day. Of course, your situation was life threatening. I have spoken to a firm Girardi Keese about this and they had asked if there were other people with the same problems. I spoke with another lady I met on this sight who was going to call them as well. Maybe if we can get enough people they will take the case! These companies can't push products and only say how easy it is to reverse. I have now had 8 injections and I look worse! Let me know if you speak to them or you can send an email. They are in LA.