44 Years Old, Implants in for 18 Years 32A -34D, Double bubble - La Mesa, CA

18 years ago I finally got the courage to get my...

18 years ago I finally got the courage to get my implants. I thought my world would change. I would be more "acceptable" as a women. I was tired of people making comments about my flat breasts. Family, friends, even my boss! When I asked my then fiance (we're divorced now!) if I could get the procedure done, his response was "I'm so glad you asked, I didn't know how to to tell you to get it done." At the time I was excited about that response. Now I know the correct response should have been, "I love you just the way you are." But I felt that nobody accepted me the way I was, and I felt that my small breasts defined me as who I was, and who I was, wasn't good enough. After the procedure I did feel great about myself. Then I had my son and my right implant moved.... way north! I looked like I had an elephant trunk on my chest. I had a PS move it back down, but it was right back up within days. A few years later I went to Dr. Pousti. He told me my capsule had been enlarged during my pregnancy and I need to put larger implants in place. It didn't fix it completely, but they looked much better! Now, however, I feel they are too large! Now people look at me and comment on how huge my chest is. They look much bigger in clothes, then when naked. I am now tired of hiding in my clothes once again. First, when they were too small, now that they are too big. I just want to be me, all natural, small and all! :)
I am schedule to have my implants removed on June 10.

Implant Type

I just pulled out my card that has my implant info on it. I have Mentor smooth saline over the muscle. I saw that my left implant is a 375 and and my right is a 425. I'm guessing the right one is larger due to the movement of the implant after I nursed my son. I'm now wondering what this is going to do to my symmetry after they're removed.

Question for you all who have children and have explanted

I'm explanting in 10 more days. I haven't told my kids, ages 10 and 13 who are going to ask why Mom is having surgery. They don't know I have implants either. Anybody know how I can explain it to them, without it getting to personal? My son (13) isn't very confidential and I don't want my personal stuff all over the neighborhood.

They're out!

I had my explant this morning. I went into surgery at 7 and was home by 9:30. It went very smooth! I will post pictures in a few days when the bandages come off.

8 days out

I had my drains removed 4 days after explanation. Today I had my bandages removed. The tops of my breasts look scooped out and my right breast still gas that double bubble look. Hopefully with a lot of massage it will bounce back.

Mentor implant

My doctor returned my implants to me. The 425 had to be deflated to get it out and the 375 is still filled. I weighed the 375 -- 1 pound!

The camera does add 10 pounds!

I can see a little difference in how I look in clothes, but I'm not as big as I look in the pictures.

1 month

I've been feeling really down. If both my breasts looked like my left one, I'd be happy. I can't find a bra that fits due to the right breast sitting up high and isn't as wide ad a normal breast. My left breast call fit in a B cup, but my right can't even fill out a AA due to the odd shape and they're the same size! I've been massaging them trying to break down the scare tissue. Some days I can see it drop and I get excited, then the next day it moves back up. I'm just sad and frustrated knowing thT I did this to myself. I was never told by any PS that this could happen to me and the internet didn't exists back then. It shocks me that there are women who have access to all these stories and photos and they are still getting them! I hate that we live in a boob obsessed society and we are made to feel less attractive if we don't gave big boobs.

5 weeks

I had an appointment with my PS yesterday. He explain that my right breast wasn't a double bubble, but my original breast taking back it's original shape. That's also why my left breast hS a crease in it. It too is trying to go back to its original shape. The insidious lines are where my original PS created a larger pocket to accommodate the implant. My doc thinks thT my left breast will change and look like my right one. He said if I'm not happy with the shape or symmetry he will do a revision, but I have to wait at least 6 months. Today when I woke up I noticed that the "bubble" under my right breast was almost gone. Weird how my doc said just yesterday, that's what would happen!

Not sure what to think

My PS said that my right breast wasn't a double bubble but trying to get its original shape back. I'm beginning to think he was just trying to appease me. I found a box of old clothes from before I had my BA done. The old bras and bathing suits all sit on the crease of my left breast. So the left is my normal breast line, not the right. So I guess its just a hurry up and wait thing now until I can get my next surgery done. As much as I didn't like my implants, I dislike the new me even more!

2 months

Yesterday's Ps visit was good. He said my cosmetic issues are possibly scar tissue, which is what I have been thinking all along. I have to go back in two months to see if my body corrects the problem.

Is this normal?

I'm 9 weeks post explant and my chest is caving in! The dark arches in the pics are dents in my chest wall. Thus just showed up in the last week. Has anybody else experienced this?
San Diego Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for being so honest about your journey. Your last update you felt your chest wall was caving in - from the pix, you look very thin and possibly not standing upright - idk - just want to make sure you are not seeing something that isn't there. It seems that all of our bodies heal at different speeds and maybe yours need a little extra time. It has only been 2 months and I wouldn't be surprised if you saw some major improvements at the 4 month mark and again at 6 months. Be patient - I know it's hard and I hope you will keep us posted as all of this info is so very helpful.
Thanks for commenting. I haven't lost weight, I've actually gained about 8 lbs. LOL I had this look for about a week or so, its just now starting to go back to the way it was before. I can actually feel those dark ridges you can see in the pictures. My chest is literally dented in and it wasn't that way before implants. My guess is the implants caused this. Several other women have messaged me and said they have experienced the same thing.
Will those dents smooth out over time - based on the comments others have shared with you?
One person said her PS said that the bones were moved by the implants and that they would eventually move back. Only time will tell.
Hi! First of all, thanks for sharing your story. I'm sorry you're not completely happy with your results yet, I'm sure they will improve with time! What you show in your last photos looks just like the shape of the sternum bone to me... I had the same issue a couple of years ago before my BA when I was really skinny! Maybe the swelling has gone away completely now and you have lost fat in the chest area during the years with implants? Idk, just my theory. Hope things get better!
Thanks! Another person messaged me and let me know that her PS said that rib bones move when you get implants and after they get removed it takes time for the bones to remodel. I have actually gained about 8 pounds since my explant. I too, thought maybe it was weight loss until I weighed myself. LOL
Thanks! Another person messaged me and told me that her PS said the implant causes our ribs to move and that in time it will remodel itself. I too, thought I'd lost weight, but when I weighed myself I was 8 pounds heavier. LOL
Hi, thanks for the update - its always interesting to read what different surgeons say regarding the healing process and the stages they go through. Did he say how he would go about a revision should you need one after 6 months? (hopefully you wont!)
He said he would do an in office revision using a local. I told him I would like for my breasts to both look like the fuller left one. He said I had to wait to see how everything settles, as he expects some changes. He told me he could make the right one look closer to the left one.
Hi! You have to give your breast time to heal. I had my implants out 2 years ago after having them for 30 years. My ps said you need to give them at least 6 months to heal before you decide to do another procedure. I waited 8 months and then had fat transfer to the breast done. Had good results and then lost 21 pounds and was back to square 1. I had a second fat transfer on Friday July 11th, so I am now 3 days post fat transfer. It is amazing what they can correct using fat from your own body. This might be something you may way to do some research on. Good luck with your healing.
I thought about fat transfer, but I have a high metabolism, so I'm afraid I'd just burn it all off. I have heard that when you fat transfer to your boobs, its the first place you gain weight! That would be awesome!
That was true for me, I gained weight in my stomach and my boobs at the same time. When I started to change the way I ate the boobs were the 1st to start loosing. They say you loose weight from the head down, so true. My 1st transfer the fat came from hips and stomach, the stomach is the 1st place I can loose it from. This time it came from the stubborn thigh fat, that I can never loose, so maybe this time it will all stay. One can only hope.
I'm sorry you are feeling down. Thank you for your honest update though. My right boob has a divot (for lack of a better word) and it's super noticeable in certain positions. I try not to be down about it because health wise I know getting those things out was the best decision I could have made. Have you tried the soft little stretchy bras from Walmart. They are 5$ and you could probably put a cutlet or a bit of padding in it for tighter shirts.
I have to wear something with a molded cup or I look really weird have to very different sized breasts. A push up bra fills out the smaller breast, but then it pushes up the normal one and I look lopsided on the top! LOL I bought a soft cup bra and it looked great on the normal breast, but you could see a big dent in the bottom of the right breast and it rode up instantly. I would need to find a u-shaped cutlet to help me. LOL It is what it is. I just had a horrible day yesterday. I knew I would have down days afterwards so I prepped my self, mentally before explant, I just wasn't prepared to have one breast come out like it did. I just want to look normal. I'm sure that's never going to be the case, so now I'm working on accepting myself the way I am now. Thanks for commenting! :)
Maybe a bra that is push up but with removable pads would help so you can remove the fuller side pad. Wish you were close because I could totally make you a custom insert. I make my own cloth pads and made custom pregnancy pillows when I was pregnant. Hope you can find a bra that makes you feel pretty because that really does help sometimes. Lots of hugs.
Thanks mdeuca! I have an appointment next week. Hopefully my PS will have a miracle for me. :)
Sounds like your appointment went well! It's crazy how much time helps out boobs! I was reading somewhere the other day and thought of you. Someone used a custom rice 'cutlet' inside of their bra for asymmetry. I would bet the rice smell would be strong when it got warm though Lol
I'm going to go to Victoria's Secret and see if I can get some molded cup bras. I work in the desert where it gets around 118, so I don't think the rice thing would work! LOL
I think you look great! I'm actually going in to have my implants remove in two weeks time. I can only hope mine look as good as yours after.
Thank you! They change every day. I look forward to seeing the little changes every day.
Did yo have capsules removed too??
To my knowledge the capsules are still in. The PS said he would only remove them if he saw a problem.
Excuse my dumb question but what do you mean by 'capsules', they are still in?
There's never a dumb question. A capsule is the pocket that the surgeon makes out of your breast tissue and puts the implant in. The reason I have a "double bubble" is because the original doctor didn't make it right and the implant slipped out of the pocket.
capsules meaning scar tissue that the body forms around the implant. some doctors leave it in some don't, some take part of the capsule.