Ultherapy Hurts! - La Jolla, CA

I wanted Ultherapy since a friend had it done and...

I wanted Ultherapy since a friend had it done and she had GREAT results! I went to Torrey Pine Dermatology and they were having a great special rate. The people who work there couldn't be sweeter or more experienced. Big plus!

I have to say I do not have a high pain tolerance, so I availed myself of all the pain meds they had like Emla cream, advil, and valium. I am glad I did as the procedure consists of two passes: one superficial and the other deeper in the skin. The problem, as I see it, is the whole procedure lasts for 1 and 1/2 hours, and in that time even small instances of pain REALLY add up to a lot. I had my whole face and neck done. I am interested in softening the lines, and tightening up my eye and jaw area. I am 54 years old.

The pain was weird. It not only occurred in the pinpointed area but scattered to different places further away as well. I guess because of the way the nerves are laid out? It is very difficult to describe. It felt like a multiple rubber band snaps combined with a bruising feeling on many different points during one pass. The jaw and temple were especially painful. I wouldn't have minded it so much but the bruising feeling was the worst part. It felt like when you have bruise and you accidentally knock the bruised area multiple times. That hurts!

The PA asked me afterward if the pain was as I expected. I thought the pain was worse than I expected and I would have second thoughts about doing it again. I have had Fraxel, and IPL and I thought this was much worse.

Nearly a week later, I am getting weird snapping sensations in my scalp.

I am glad I endured the procedure, I am just not sure I could tolerate the pain again.

I will try to post some photos later.
Torrey Pine Dermatology

Thanks for sharing such detail about your experience with the treatment! Did your friend go to the same clinic? Also, did they mention if they did any fillers or any other treatments along with the ultherapy?

p.s. Here is a link to our Help section with instructions on how to add photos if that is helpful. :)