Go out of the Country

I have always needed surgery for my snoring issue...

I have always needed surgery for my snoring issue and deviated septum. I got a quote before I left the USA and had decided to wait due to financial constraints. However, I quickly learned while I was teaching in Korea that the price of the surgery and hospital stay was $500 dollars. Comparing that to the average cost around 4.7k, I would say that was a deal.

I highly recommend anyone who needs any major or costly surgery to move to another country or visit temporarily. Even the price of a plane ticket and surgery is cheaper than what they charge in the USA.

On top of that, the health system here is much better. It's also regulated by the government, so hospitals can't charge you an arm and a leg.

Han Taewon

The doctors almost always speak English. I could have gotten the surgery the very next day! Food was included in my hospital stay. I was only in the hospital for two days.

Only $500USD? I'm currently teaching in South Korea and I'm having a septoplasty/rhinoplasty next week. I was told insurance wouldn't cover it. I like to save money, think you can help me.

How exactly does it work? I'm going to a plastic surgeon so don't know if they'd cover the rhinoplasty portion of the operation.
I had national health care as well, it covers up to 50% of it. I only paid 500 dollars. Just head over with a co-teacher to an ENT at a regular hospital and have them take x-rays. It really doesn't matter who as long as they're comfortable operating on a foreigner. My advice would be, if you feel uncomfortable letting anyone operate (I didn't really care, I just wanted it done), I would suggest looking into doctors who speak English in Seoul. They've had a lot more interaction with foreigners and would be more comfortable operating on a foreigner nose.

I have a high pain tolerance so I couldn't really say about that. I mostly just felt groggy after. I didn't need a lot of pain meds. Also I recovered enough to go to work in a couple days . You should have a friend help you at the hospital otherwise it feels lonely. I can breath more easily and the surgery definitely fixed my breathing issues. I don't snore as much and I can sleep easily. Hope this helps you.
Hello, I'm in Korea now (teaching English) and I am looking into getting surgery for my deviated septum while I'm here. I was just wondering where you went? How long was recovery? I am thinking about getting it done during winter break but if I could get it done over a long weekend that would be even better. Thanks for all your help! How are you feeling post-op?

I'm glad you had such a great experience with your nose surgery out of country! I would like to add that good results very much depend on what country, what hospital facility and what doctor you choose. Just like not everyone in the US gets the results they're hoping for, not everyone who travels abroad does either. And when you're home and so far from your doctor, follow up care and dealing with possible complications is difficult. That said, $500! Wow.

Thanks for posting here on RealSelf! We'd love to see your before and after photos.