Sculptra experience

Hi - I'm 42 and decided on Sculptra after have a...

Hi - I'm 42 and decided on Sculptra after have a lot of volume loss in face.
I had 1.5 vials in early Oct and then another 1.5 vials in early Nov. It's now early December and just in the past week I've had a large amount of increase in volume (my temples are too big) and also a small visible nodule develop

More nodules developing from Sculptra

I've had saline flushed through my nodule - but so far it has little effect (it's four days since the procedure) - and now further smaller bumps have come up under the other eye now. Every day something new seems to be happening - very concerning.

More scary Sculptra symptoms

Hi - just to update you on my Sculptra treatment. It is 7 - 8 weeks post my second treatment and I've had more scary side effects - sore, watery eyes, swelling aching joints, fatigue, sore throat, more saliva production than usual. The doctor gave me a course of antibiotics (although said my reaction probably isn't related to Sculptra) - but I still feel unwell. I've also had a lot of growth (too much). My nodule was treated with a steroid injection and it has reduced a little bit.

Update

It's now 2 and a half months since my second Sculptra treatment and I'm pleased to say my lumps have now disappeared. Also much of the swelling has gone. Still not sure it was worth it though - my face looks almost back to how it was pre treatment. I guess everyone had a different reaction.

Sculptra - 5 months on

Hi - well it's five months on from my Sculptra experience and I thought I'd update this review. I'm pleased to say my lumps have disappeared and the result looks good.
I am however still dealing with a strange autoimmune problem that is affecting my nervous system. I absolutely cannot link this to Sculptra - but I can say that it started at the same time that the product started to react.
I have also noticed the Sculptra subsiding (which is much quicker than the two years it is meant to last).
So overall, given the expense, the problems with the lumps - and the unpredictable nature of the product, I wouldn't recommend it.
No matter how good your doctor is - you just don't know how your body may react. And if there is even the slightest change it may affect your health and nervous system, then I would advise people to perhaps look at a safer product?
I hope this helps.
Confidential

My doctor is experienced - having done over 800 procedures. He said he's only seen about 15 cases of nodules. He also said that I seem to be producing a large amount of collagen for only a short time after the treatment.

The whole concept of how it supposedly stimulates collagen is sick.
I have all your symptoms and more but I did have them before Sculptra and they increased significantly after Sculptra. My theory is that your immune system sees this poison as an irritant and if your immune system is down or fighting other infections, it is already stressed and is being overburdened with dealing with trying to clear the Sculptra on top of it. It sounds so absurd that it causes an autoimmune response, why don't these p.s/ derms ever tell us this. They make it sound so natural and safe. No one in their right mind would accept this if they were told the truth.
Hi Charlotterose303. I had Sculptra 2 years ago and have a nervous disorder as well. Tremors, anxiety and panic attacks along with joint and bone pain. I was diagnosed with Lyme disease and attribute it to that but your post is making me rethink this Sculptra mess. If I may ask what are your symptoms?
Hi - I have fatigue, runny eyes, muscle tremors/twitching, numb patches, joint pain, trouble swallowing.. Like I said, I absolutely can't attribute it to Sculptra. All I know as the symptoms started at around the same time the Sculptra started to develop, and I was completely healthy beforehand. I hope you're doing better.
Honestly, consider yourself lucky the Sculptra is dissolving. You don't need that crap in your face as it is a irritant to your immune system. I on the other hand am still dealing with swelling and draining of this stuff and am having an awful time getting rid of it. It makes me look weird and I can't wait till it's all out.
Hi Jill - I've posted a new update above.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

SO glad your lumps went away! I had sculptra in 2005 and developed lumps that are still there if I dig around with my fingers at my face. However, they used to be a lot bigger and have gone down a lot in 7 years. Lucky for me, they are not and never were visible (thank god). But so glad you got rid of the lumps!
Wow, I should have read your post more thoroughly, I glanced at the lumps going away and totally missed the other horrible stuff - are you feeling better physically?
Hi - sadly no, the autoimmune problems continue. I was very healthy before Sculptra, so it seems a strange coincidence.
I am so happy your lumps went away. I hope they stay away. I wish mine would go away.
Glad the lumps went away!  Isn't Sculptra suppose to take quite a while before you really see the results?  Hopefully that is the case and you start to see some changes, that is a lot of money for no results.
Every individuals body reacts differently to a foreign body & Sculptra consists of PLLA (man-made) which is injected into the deeper tissues. Some patients react terribly to the product, other minimally, each case is unique.
I had one vial of Sculptra injected per my plastic surgeon one year after a surgical procedure that had not been properly corrected. My MD said the vial required premixing x 24 hours & additional saline added to vial. MD was a Consultant with Sanofi Pharm. I followed the post instructions like a lieutenant in the Army & approximately 2 weeks after the injections on the left side of my face, above jaw, I noticed a pea size lump under my jaw (no where near the injection sites) which by 6 months was a nickel size granuloma. My MD said I should have seen him sooner but I did not understand what was happening since I was told this was a very safe product. I was given 2 options but decided to "wait & watch". Injection done 12/2009 & granuloma gone by 6/2013. Small indentation now visible. Had multiple laboratory serum tests to check for immunosuppressive disorders, Lyme disease etc negative. I am thankful that the worse may be over but I'm sure my body still has particles of the man made product floating in my cell walls-yuck. Recently, learned from another physician the product is no longer being promoted as a "best product" for fillers--too late, for those who's lives have been destroyed physically & emotionally.
I find it very interesting that the physician told you it is not the "best product". In my experience the doctors are very secretive. The occuloplastics dr who tries to help me said he does not use it because it is too unpredictable. I really wish that the doctor who put it in me was not so reckless with my health. I really hope the granulomas I have go away. They are still there.
I was told a few weeks ago the product manufactured by Sanofi Pharm had sold the product to a company in Europe. I have not verified but I believe the plastic surgeon that I went to for a second opinion would have no reason to give false info. He also said he does not use Sculptra on his patients.
I have much larger lumps under my eyes than you. I also have the sickness and immune system dysregulation. The lumps do not seem to be going away.
It is unbelievable how all these doctors deny adverse reactions to Sculptra as being the culprit. I am 22 months post Sculptra and have all the symptoms you are experiencing Charlotterose303. I was once a healthy, happy woman. My life was destroyed by these poison injections. Swelling, disfigurement and joint pain.
Does anyone know of a certified dermatologist who does Sculptra in Puerto Rico? Thanksto all MP
Are you crazy? Why would you take a chance with Sculptra, it has ruined too many people. Please be good to yourself and use a HA filler instead. At least it's something your body will like and recognize rather than a full blown immune reaction with Polyester Sculptra
I have a rheumatologist helping me with systemic inflammatory response to sculptra. if you read the product literature, you will see that systemic inflammatory response and feeling unwell is a reported adverse report. chronic foreign body inflammation is a systemic response and your unwell feelings are part of a rheumatologic response. maybe you should consult a rheumatologist or immunologist familiar with autoimmune diseases because you just got injected with one.
How do you deal with all this on a emotional level? I have days where I can barely function. No job, no self esteem, and people in my family sick of hearing me complain
Unfortunately I have isolated. I do see a shrink and I have tried really hard to accept what is now, but I have lost so much and not just things but my identity, my confidence. This has made me not only very ill but also very disfigured. For me it was put under my eyes. Muscles under my right eye went necrotic and had to be cut out and the lower lid destroyed. So making eye contact is a challenge. You know how you feel with a zit well this is exponential. People try, but it just makes everyone including myself feel awkward and uncomfortable. It is easiest to not go out or to go to a place where people did not know what I used to look like (strangers). What makes me so darn angry is when the Drs say it is natural and then you learn it is a synthetic polyester. When they say on this site and others that it is absorbed in 2 years and then you have it show in biopsy 3 years later. Then they say well it must have been done wrong or you are so unique. That is so much hogwash because I am really a pretty average human being and searching pubmed identifies how common and predictable this reaction is. My family and physicians are also tired of my problems. People like problems they can fix or help with but once you are maimed and chronically ill people want to move on. They still have full lives and do not want to dwell on your particular misfortune. I wish I could just move on but having seen my life hijacked and blown up at my age, I can not build it again. I must accept I am chronically ill and disfigured. Thank You Dr. for injecting this chronic inflammation into me and ruining my life.
I asked doctors why some people have inflammation for years, when doctors claim sculptra particles dissolve within 6-12 months. I have not heard one answer. Could it be they have no answer