Sculptra experience - terrible - please be careful

Hi - I'm 42 and decided on Sculptra after have a...

Hi - I'm 42 and decided on Sculptra after have a lot of volume loss in face.
I had 1.5 vials in early Oct and then another 1.5 vials in early Nov. It's now early December and just in the past week I've had a large amount of increase in volume (my temples are too big) and also a small visible nodule develop

More nodules developing from Sculptra

I've had saline flushed through my nodule - but so far it has little effect (it's four days since the procedure) - and now further smaller bumps have come up under the other eye now. Every day something new seems to be happening - very concerning.

More scary Sculptra symptoms

Hi - just to update you on my Sculptra treatment. It is 7 - 8 weeks post my second treatment and I've had more scary side effects - sore, watery eyes, swelling aching joints, fatigue, sore throat, more saliva production than usual. The doctor gave me a course of antibiotics (although said my reaction probably isn't related to Sculptra) - but I still feel unwell. I've also had a lot of growth (too much). My nodule was treated with a steroid injection and it has reduced a little bit.

Update

It's now 2 and a half months since my second Sculptra treatment and I'm pleased to say my lumps have now disappeared. Also much of the swelling has gone. Still not sure it was worth it though - my face looks almost back to how it was pre treatment. I guess everyone had a different reaction.

Sculptra - 5 months on

Hi - well it's five months on from my Sculptra experience and I thought I'd update this review. I'm pleased to say my lumps have disappeared and the result looks good.
I am however still dealing with a strange autoimmune problem that is affecting my nervous system. I absolutely cannot link this to Sculptra - but I can say that it started at the same time that the product started to react.
I have also noticed the Sculptra subsiding (which is much quicker than the two years it is meant to last).
So overall, given the expense, the problems with the lumps - and the unpredictable nature of the product, I wouldn't recommend it.
No matter how good your doctor is - you just don't know how your body may react. And if there is even the slightest change it may affect your health and nervous system, then I would advise people to perhaps look at a safer product?
I hope this helps.
Confidential

My doctor is experienced - having done over 800 procedures. He said he's only seen about 15 cases of nodules. I wasn't warned about possible side effects, apart from lumps.

Searching4 - did your symptoms get worse over the last 2 years - or better? I'm very worried as I'm at the 6 month mark and both looking and feeling awful (so much so that have spent the last few days in bed).
They got worse but I have Lyme disease and did not know that at the time. My symptoms are very similar to yours and several other people that have posted comments on this site. If you have some type of underlying infection in your system and add Sculptra to the mix, it will bring out the symptoms to a higher level. I am now on antibiotics and have some good days so I am hoping with continued treatment it will all go away.
That makes sense. Did you have nervous system symptoms ie. heavy legs, clumsy, trouble swallowing etc?
Oh my gosh yes. If you have the financial means, please get the lyme igg/igm western blot test. I tested negative with my pcp but when I went to a Lyme literate specialist he orders through Igenex a lab in CA, they test for 5 strands of the bacterias vs. the 2 most labs test for. Lyme is a fast growing epidemic and the longer you wait the harder it is to treat. Make sure he is a lyme literate doctor otherwise you are wasting your time. Some natural doctors also diagnose and treat lyme.
The whole concept of how it supposedly stimulates collagen is sick.
I have all your symptoms and more but I did have them before Sculptra and they increased significantly after Sculptra. My theory is that your immune system sees this poison as an irritant and if your immune system is down or fighting other infections, it is already stressed and is being overburdened with dealing with trying to clear the Sculptra on top of it. It sounds so absurd that it causes an autoimmune response, why don't these p.s/ derms ever tell us this. They make it sound so natural and safe. No one in their right mind would accept this if they were told the truth.
That's so true! I was completely healthy before sculptra. I'm doing everything I can to boost my immune system now and detox my body.
Hi Charlotterose303. I had Sculptra 2 years ago and have a nervous disorder as well. Tremors, anxiety and panic attacks along with joint and bone pain. I was diagnosed with Lyme disease and attribute it to that but your post is making me rethink this Sculptra mess. If I may ask what are your symptoms?
Hi - I have fatigue, runny eyes, muscle tremors/twitching, numb patches, joint pain, trouble swallowing.. Like I said, I absolutely can't attribute it to Sculptra. All I know as the symptoms started at around the same time the Sculptra started to develop, and I was completely healthy beforehand. I hope you're doing better.
Honestly, consider yourself lucky the Sculptra is dissolving. You don't need that crap in your face as it is a irritant to your immune system. I on the other hand am still dealing with swelling and draining of this stuff and am having an awful time getting rid of it. It makes me look weird and I can't wait till it's all out.
I really feel for you. I'm still having all sorts of auto immune problems - I only hope they eventually clear up. How does the sculptra make you look 'weird' if you don't mind me asking? Is it swelling? The more I read, the more risky I think this stuff is. Terrible
The volume has come down some but my cheeks are sinking down and feels like soft fluid. A nice lady I talk with told me her ps said when it dissolves it becomes fluid which drains downward into the jaw and slowly metabolizes. It is so very uneven and lumpy looking. Hard sometimes to believe theres hope but many people have told me they are back to normal.
Thank you for your hopeful reply. I'm going to see a specialist next week for more tests. My eyes look terrible - they are red and constantly watering. I also have so many other scary symptoms - difficulty swallowing, fatigue, joint pain, trouble with speech. I'm worried this won't disappear? The sooner this stuff is out of my body, the better. It's been six months now - and I seem to be getting sicker :(
You are probably in the worst of it and it will be a slow recovery back to your old self. Try not to stress as I did. It makes healing so much more difficult. I don't know if you get swelling or pain in the injected areas but I sure do. The more stressed I am the more it swells. This has been confirmed by many people I've talked with. There is hope, you are not ruined for life. It is a slow process but with each passing 6 months or so you will see gradual improvements. As for the other symptoms go see a lyme doctor not a regular doctor. I have Lyme disease and I know that Sculptra made things a lot worse.
When did your volume start coming down and is the drainage noticeable in your jaw as it metabolizes? Thank you
The volume started to slowly come down around 2 years and I mean slowly. And yes the face begins to morph back to the way it was but I don't think will ever look exactly the same as some is collagen/ scar tissue growth. I still get swelling so I know the product is still there.
Hi Jill - I've posted a new update above.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

SO glad your lumps went away! I had sculptra in 2005 and developed lumps that are still there if I dig around with my fingers at my face. However, they used to be a lot bigger and have gone down a lot in 7 years. Lucky for me, they are not and never were visible (thank god). But so glad you got rid of the lumps!
Wow, I should have read your post more thoroughly, I glanced at the lumps going away and totally missed the other horrible stuff - are you feeling better physically?
Hi - sadly no, the autoimmune problems continue. I was very healthy before Sculptra, so it seems a strange coincidence.
I am so happy your lumps went away. I hope they stay away. I wish mine would go away.
How are you lumps now? Have had any other problems?
Glad the lumps went away!  Isn't Sculptra suppose to take quite a while before you really see the results?  Hopefully that is the case and you start to see some changes, that is a lot of money for no results.
Every individuals body reacts differently to a foreign body & Sculptra consists of PLLA (man-made) which is injected into the deeper tissues. Some patients react terribly to the product, other minimally, each case is unique.