One Week After Labiaplasty - Key West, FL

So I finally did it. Since my early teen years I...

So I finally did it. Since my early teen years I was always self conscious of my lady parts. After all, The first boy I showed them to exclaimed "why does it look like bubblegum?!" I was never comfortable with my oversized labia major- in fact I would never let anyone perform oral sex- I was ashamed and even grossed out by my own vagina.

Luckily, I married an amazing man who never once mentioned anything about it. He knew I was self conscious- I wore pads to keep from the pain of rubbing against clothes. I would try to tuck it away before having sex with my own husband. I would wear skirts or shorts on the beach. Riding a bike was painful... Etc.

After having 2 kids and losing a lot of weight - it got even worse. I finally broke down and talked to my husband about it. He was incredibly supportive- and encouraged me to speak with my gynecologist about it. I had already done this once- with a male dr who actually changed the subject while I was expressing my concerns. So I asked around and was told to see a female Doctor who had done the surgery many times- with many halt patients.

She was awesome. She understood my concerns, and understood my discomfort level. She explained everything carefully so I may make an informed decision- and her staff is wonderful.

Last week I had the surgery under general anestesia. I had very minimal bleeding- Only a few spots on the ice packs I used the first two days. After 2 two days it barely hurt at all. I did have hydrocodone for pain, but barely needed to take it. On day 5&6, it got pretty uncomfortable. Itchy like crazy- and swollen!!! But Doc checked twice since the surgery already- and says it's part of the healing process. Everything looks just right.

Today I'm pretty achy, and swollen. My husband took a week off, but had to go back today. Having 2 toddlers to run after and entertain isnt helping. If I knew the pain wouldn't really start until 5 days after I would have had him take off this week instead! But the first week is really where you have to be careful not to disturb those stitches. So I'll just have to grin & bear it!

I start back at work this weekend ( makeup artist) - on sat I have a 10 person wedding party to do, so I'm trying to save my remaining pain meds for if I'll need them after working.

Well, I'm about to get in that dandy old sitz bath...
Right now, I'm very happy that I did this. It's pretty uncomfortable right now- but not nearly as painful as one would think.

I'll update in a week and let ya know how it's going. I unfortunately did not take a before pic, but I'll ask my dr if she did.

Yes, please do keep us posted!

2nd week update-

I'm still pretty uncomfortable. It seems like the irritation comes and goes- one day I'll feel nearly 90% back to normal, then the next it will bother me again.

Working over the weekend wasn't so bad, so long as I could stop and sit down every now and then. Standing for too long causes swelling, so by the end of the day I was waddling, and aching. Last night it was extraordinarily sore and sensitive. Still, it hadn't even been two weeks yet, and it IS a VERY sensitive part of your body- even with the discomfort I'm very surprised that it isn't much worse.

As far as looks go, I'm still waiting for it to heal before judging. It looks a little different each day as it heals. The swelling is starting to go down, but unevenly- in other words the back area is still very swollen while the
front has gone down a lot.

My next appointment with the Doctor is next Thursday. I'll let you know how it goes!

I'm sorry about the pain you're going through with the healing, but so glad you were able to get this done!! Sounds like you have a supportive guy, too.

Please let us know how you're feeling as your recovery continues!

4 Week Update! Well the last few weeks were...

4 Week Update!

Well the last few weeks were uncomfortable and I've gained a fews pounds- not being able to work out, walk for too long, or be outside in the outrageous Key West heat. BUT I'm feeling great now!
Last week the Doc removed any remaining stitches (OUCHHHH!!!!)- that hurt like hell! But the following day I felt better than ever. By the next monday I was even able to try it out on the hubs - and there was no pain at all- smooth sailing ;) I am pretty impressed with the recovery time, and although there is still a lot of healing to come- it's looking pretty good. My Doc is a genius. I can't thank her enough.

In all- I'm really glad I did this. There were some very uncomfortable moments- but nothing too intense. If you've ever had a baby vaginally- than you can handle this. It hurt MUCH less!

(also- in some cases you may be able to get this covered by ins. If it's causing you discomfort or the inability to perform certain physical acts- it IS possible to get the ins to agree. Just talk to your DR about what he/she thinks is the best way to go about it.)
How Much Was The Surgery & Who Was The Doctor? Did You Have It Done In FL?
Dr. Sharon Ward