Living Through my Project in Process. - Kauai, HI

This my second time around with breast cancer....

This my second time around with breast cancer. First a lumpectomy on my right side with 6 1/2 weeks of radiation 13 yrs ago, then DCIS on my left side in Sept. 2011. There is breast cancer in my family so both those things helped me with the decision for a bilateral mastectomy. I chose reconstruction to feel normal again and also hearing from my Mom who didn't have the choices we have today and wish that she did. I did a lot of research but never read anything about the pain and discomfort the expanders give you until yesterday on your site. My surgeons never said it would be uncomfortable, quite the contrary. That is a definite con. but the pros are, that in my case, I did not need any more therapy and I will feel whole again when this is over. I know they will not be my own but they are healthy and that's what counts.

I too agree with expanders are very uncomfortable and cause almost constant pain. It's like having a coconut in your chest.

Wow, two rounds with breast cancer - you must be one STRONG woman!! You aren't the first person to say they didn't know about the pain they would experience with the expanders. I hope that reading some of the other women's stories was an encouragement to you.