Juvederm / Botox Procedure and Recovery: Not Really "A Piece of Cake"

I am 55 years old and had Juvederm injected in my...

I am 55 years old and had Juvederm injected in my lips, and Botox in the area above my upper lip, over 2 weeks ago.  I was in Seattle visiting my family and decided it would be a fun thing to do with my sister.  I did some research on the internet prior to my appointment, but was not prepared for the Juvederm and Botox procedure or the recovery process.  Unfortunately, the medi-spa also did a poor job of providing this information.

Before injecting the juvaderm filler, the physician injected the inside of my mouth (in 12 different sites) with a local anesthetic, which hurt sooooo bad.  They had also given me 2 Claritin tablets about a half hour before the procedure.  I left the spa very sleepy (from the Claritin), and with a very numb mouth.

The spa failed to give me post-procedure care instructions.  I had never had anything like this done before, so didn't think to ask about how to care for my "wounds."  They also didn't take post-procedure photos, as they mentioned they would be doing.  They did, however, make sure they got their money before I left!

I looked like someone had beat the crap out of me for about 10 days.  My lips were bruised and there were 1/2" black blotches at the Botox injection sites.  I had to eat soup, yogurt and other soft foods for a week because my mouth was so sore...inside and out.  It's been 16 days and I finally feel like the swelling and bruising is completely gone, and I can see the final results.

Perhaps if I had been given post-procedure instructions, my swelling and bruising would not have been so extreme.

Today I can say I love the results.  Would I do it again?....maybe, but not at the same clinic.

It would be in the best interest of the practitioners who are performing these procedures to be really honest about what to expect, both during the procedure and during the recovery period.