Was Always Self Conscience About my Stomach; Much Better Now! - Johnstown, CO

I am fairly young, but for as long as I can...

I am fairly young, but for as long as I can remember I have been very self conscience of my stomach fat. In my mind I could deal with having a thick pear shape, but my apple shape was defeating. I mean there are rap songs about big asses; haven't heard one yet about a fat tummy. So after dieting, gain weight back, and working out A LOT I opted to go under the knife.

Initially, I was going to get my stomach, flanks, and my inner thighs. But, I figured I could live with my inner thighs - plus the price difference was fairly steep, so I opted to keep the treatment to my torso. I met with a few doctors and almost got laser lipo, but I got into a car accident on the way home from my consultation and I figured it was a sign. I finally, pulled the trigger with Dr. Gonyon in Northern Colorado.

This is my summed up experience - mind you I only took off 2 days from work and then that ran into the weekend.

The day of the surgery, I had the first slot which was good since I hate not eating. I was nervous, but the Nurses at the surgery center were amazing and calmed my nerves. Dr. Gonyon was pretty business that day which was fine, but as with MANY doctors their bed side manner is sub-par - that being said the nurse more than made up for it. I went under with general anesthesia and the last thing I remember was making a, "that's what she said comment".

I woke up a lil later and the nurse helped me into my garment/binder. The binder sucks. I personally have a decent pain tolerance, but after reading some of the reviews I was nervous about the pain that would come later. As instructed earlier I had all my pain meds wait for me when my ride got me home. The initial day wasn't bad, I almost threw up twice because I kept belching up what tasted like some sort of gas and my appetite wasn't the best but I kept down water and crackers with almond butter.

I was alone that first night - which they did not suggest but I am a classic rule breaker. I crashed out the first night and I dont think I moved from my position once I got into it. The next morning sitting up and getting out of bed was basically like when your back hurts really bad and you slide to the edge and then roll out onto your knees then stand up. My abs were sore for sure, it was like I did an insane workout and then proceeded to laugh for a few hours. Standing felt fine and walking was a lil tense, but it wasn't bad. The main thing that hurts is going from one position to another. Changing the dressings was fine, they had oozed a bit during the night.

I kept my binder on for as long as I could stand - two weeks, (peeing is the most annoying fact of your life) and then I would alternate the binder that was heavy duty at night with a more mild one that I had purchased at target. The one issue I had with my binder - minus the pee hole - was that it was pinching me right where the main part of my torse bends.

Why this is important is because while I was healing it started to make a crease in my skin. You can this this in the pictures. Also, my skin started healing over my stitches (which itches like crazy) and when I had to have them removed it was pretty gnarly. It didn't hurt, it just cause more scaring that I would have preferred.

I returned to work pretty much right afterwards - I sit at a desk and that was fine - and I started working out (more than walking) about 2 and a half weeks afterwards. I eased into it, but was doing crossfit with a month.

I eventually stopped wearing my binder and weened off my other compression gear within the first 3 months. If I was feeling super bloated I would put it on or wear it at night if I started retaining water.
I saw progress for about the first 9 months and with working out and diet I have seen progress still.

I did go back in for a touch up to the 'horseshoe' over my belly button that was created by the binder pinching my skin just last month - it was free and I did it under local which was not painful at all.

Things I learned -
- your fat is going to start stocking up somewhere else, my thighs got fuller since then, but working out and diet have kept them somewhat in check. (Makes me wonder if I had gotten my inner thighs done where it would have gone then)
- Don't expect to look like Demi Moore or something... be serious with your results. I was and I am way more comfortable with my body now. Is it like a models? No, but I didnt expect that.
- Nurse rock and Doctors are Doctors...I like Dr. Gonyon, but his nurses are more personable.
- Don't eat whatever you want leading up to the surgery because its getting sucked out. You are not going to help you case.
- Be ready for scaring. Some of my sites healed nicely, others didnt because of bending and moving. Also, my touch up spot is internally scarred right now, its gone down a bunch, but I massage it every night and during the day when I can.

Feel free to ask me questions and I hope this helps! I feel so much better about my appearance now and feel like it was worth the costs!

Btw

Really weird to see near naked pictures of me online. Eek! Especially the before shots.

And I FYI - I would go back to Gonyon, I trust and like him
Fort Collins Plastic Surgeon

I am surprised u did not find Dr Gonyon personable. We always chatted about how his kids were doing, vacation plans, and life in general. I have not seen Dr Gonyon in a couple of years and he may be much more rushed than he was then.
Thanks to you for your reassuring post! I guess i was having the jitters. Anyone wver get their fat injected into their cheekbones and/or a permalip implant from gonyon?
I go in with Gonyon on 8/8 for: Lipo to gut, inner thighs, saddlebags.. then fat transfer to cheekbone area, and permalip implants. The one thing I am worried about is the binder issue. I have read about that with every doctor almost. And some doctors do not even USE them. Thanks for your post, I will ask for clarification on that! And you look great.
I would hate to have not had a binder... the swelling is pretty remarkable and its even worse when you dont wear the binder. I think you just need to be smart; like if its digging into you while you are sitting just unzip it or wear a lighter duty one when you will be in positions where it will pinch. I think for me thats why I wore the heavy duty binder while I slept for much longer than during the day. I knew that I wasn't creating any creases and it was reducing the swelling. Good luck and you are in good hands!
Thank you for sharing. I am at 5 weeks after lipo to my entire stomach 360 degrees. Although I can see a difference in shape, I am frustrated because I am still swollen on my waist area and have a lump above my belly button. My doctor only allows me to walk but hasn't given me the ok to go back to gym. I am eating clean and staying away from too much salt but it looks like I am retaining water. I wear my compression garment and sometimes sleep with tight Lycra shirts. Did you do anything for the water retention?
I was swollen for a while so I feel your frustration. It was a slower than I would have liked experience, but well worth the wait. I never really got the 'okay' to go back to the gym, but I just listened to my body and did what I could do at the workouts. After I gave up on wearing my heavy duty binder 24/7 I would wear a lighter one at night and if I was feeling extra bloated I would wear the lighter one for the full day. Eating clean and avoiding salt always seemed to help and I drank a lot of water... which seems counter intuitive, but if your body isn't getting enough liquid it will hold onto whatever it can. Make sure your binder isn't squishing you above your belly button; I am half way convinced the binder exacerbated the little ridge I had above my belly button. That being said I am glad I waited a whole year to go back and get it touched up since my swelling and additional weight loss were still finding their new normal. You are still in the beginning part of it, give it time, and I really started seeing big changes at about week 6. Good luck!!
My Dr also told me walking only for six weeks. It was a drag. I also wore my CG 24/7. It gets old, hope it all turns out great.
Thank you for your advice. I am smaller than when I started but I do agree the lump above belly button is due to the garment. I am wearing tight Lycra and the doctors garment at night.
So is it ridiculous to think in 5 weeks i can take the thing off while on vacation in the blazing heat of the grand canyon?
Yeah when I went in for my touch up he pulled out more fat and said it was common in that spot. I think part of it is if they over take fat from that area initially.it looks saggy and sad, so maybe they keep reserved about it.
I was on a boat in the Gulf of Mexico within 6 weeks and I was in a 2 piece. I wore the binder at night to help with the swelling but I think I'm the only one that noticed anything weird.. Like scars or swelling. I don't think it's crazy to think you'll be in a swimsuit, just not full results yet. I did have a decent recovery, positive thoughts I honestly think help!
I was one of Dr Gonyon's first patients. I did Phoenix just so I could get away and spend time with family during recoup. Did he do ur lipo in his surgical suite? It is a very nice.
Yeah his center is really nice; I honestly dont remember much of the surgery center since I was already doped up when walking in there, but it seemed like it was straight out of a hospital.
Did u feel he exagerrated the results to expect? The pt coord seemed to think i would be laying by the pool in 30 days after my lipo! I go in soon for that
I don't think he did. I have heard of way more difficult recoveries, so maybe for some people. I felt good health wise with 30 days for sure. I was in a swimsuit within 6 weeks and felt good. The first two or three weeks are the hardest, then it's more and more results.
Thank you!
When did your swelling start significantly going down? I had surgery two days ago and I'm extremely swollen. Just wondering about when I will start seeing some results and not feel larger than I was before the surgery.
I was really swollen for the first week, then I slowly started to see changes. There were are few areas that were swollen for easily up to a month. Or certain days I would seem to retain more water and I would puff back up. I would suggest keep wearing your binder for the first 2 weeks essentially 24/7 then start weening it off and sleeping with it on only. You will be surprised how quickly you will see results, but I feel like it took a solid 8 months for me to be completely done being swollen and have my tissue back to normal. I remember thinking the first week that I was essentially the same size, but just a different shape because I was so swollen. Then it all started to shrink and shrink. Keep in there and in about 2 weeks you will start to see what you are going to look like. Just make sure your binder isn't pinching you or creating any folds or tight spots in your fat...just like how jeans will dent peoples fat over time the binder can easily do that with the upset tissue. Good luck!
Glad to hear that u found a good PS close to home. Look I Nguyen good
That is looking good. Must be a Korean autocorrect. It often changed my ing's to nguyen. I have no idea why.
Lol
You look great btw
Thank you!
How long after your firsy surgery did you go back for a touch up? And what exactly did he do? I am having the same issue over my belly button. I am at 3 months post op